First Impressions

Discuss anything regarding Grip that doesn't belong in the other forum categories
Splotchie

First Impressions

Postby Splotchie » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:13 pm

After I found the game a few weeks ago I did my research, since I wasn't able to buy immediately. I love the look and sound (drum&bass is always fun to listen to, especially the dark metal- and dubstep-influenced stuff). I even ended up with a couple song ideas of my own.
Was able to buy today and play for about an hour. The default pad controls don't quite make sense to me -- specifically, why a weapon button would be the shoulder above the accelerator. While I was remapping I had an error ("FAILED") trying to remap the alternate "quick chat" key but remapping the first binding worked fine. I don't know if the second mapping is meant to be mapped to pad though, and if the error was because I tried to map that binding to the keyboard.

Absolutely love the gameplay so far (though I'm certainly still playing on easy mode for now). The tracks I've played are really interesting to drive and the weapons that exist are satisfying in themselves, though there certainly aren't enough of them. The AI was pretty challenging on the "classic race" mode even on easy which is certainly not a bad thing.
On the "Ultimate" mode I played easy and medium but the AI really seemed bad at the mode, and the difficulty didn't seem to make a difference in who won. I ended up with over a thousand points more than the second place driver on either.

I love a racing game that's about mastering more than just racing lines and car upgrades through two dozen preset tracks. The weapons and abundance of different routes through the tracks here more than scratch that itch -- I can imagine it would be even more satisfying with some kind of modding support for tracks and weapons at least. I've no idea if that's planned, I haven't seen any talk about it anywhere. I would certainly like to know.
It's a great job you guys have done on the game so far -- apart from a few polish and AI issues and lack of a campaign this barely feels like an early access game.
An odd choice for ship's cat...
Check out my original music at https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden and https://vertigofox.bandcamp.com, or anything else under Vertigo Fox!

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: First Impressions

Postby Queadah » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:00 am

Splotchie wrote:I love a racing game that's about mastering more than just racing lines

We just became friends :mrgreen:

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed May 03, 2017 10:03 am

Glad you like it :)

The gamepad remapping is a bit broken for some reason. We're looking into fixing that for next patch
Game Director
GRIP

Carnage
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Carnage » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:35 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Glad you like it :)

The gamepad remapping is a bit broken for some reason. We're looking into fixing that for next patch

Only Vaguely related, but would also be nice to be able to bind the Mouse L&R buttons to actions also, I'm currently using the logitech software to bind L&R weapon fire to my mouse keys, but it's still a little funky. I find it much more natural to fire from mouse while using WASD to steer.

Return to “Grip General Discussion”