Should the game have a "TV Show" feel?

Discuss anything regarding Grip that doesn't belong in the other forum categories
Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Should the game have a "TV Show" feel?

Postby Yrch » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:57 pm

I'll try my best to explain what i mean.
We know that GRIP is an illegal sport that i broadcast through TV networks, so i wonder, should the game reflect this in terms of design?
I'm talking about stuff like an announcer during races, the whole menu getting a "TV show" style theme, maybe having cambots flying around and stuff.

I think the best way to show what i mean is through a video from the game i took the idea: XGRA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_ZWjJF9LZo

in the menu background you have the name of the Tv network that broadcasts the races (SINN) and there are drones, banners and stuff everywhere on the tracks.
Before every race the announcer tells us a little about the track and we get a nice cinematic overview over some of the vistas the track offers.
------------------------------
These things could enhance the "TV show" feel and threngthen the games lore.
There could be a race announcer ingame, who counts down the start, announces the final lap and maybe other major events in race (racer getting destroyed in a knock-out/deathmatch mode, military arriving).

what do you guys think?

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Re: Should the game have a "TV Show" feel?

Postby the-GURU-man » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:07 am

something like this, you mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpnUzI04_1s
! ! ! RUNNING THE BEST OS EVER ! ! !

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:29 am

We actually had this discussion a month or so ago, the devs weren't that interested in the idea and it wasn't really how they wanted the game to feel. In arena mode they might add an announcer though, If I remember correctly.

I'd love an announcer though :D Similar to this https://youtu.be/Y4y8ph3cH54?t=26
You're just a voice pal.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:32 am

I would not like it at all.. I want something more testosteronish than just a TV show feel.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:38 am

StickyBassline wrote:We actually had this discussion a month or so ago, the devs weren't that interested in the idea and it wasn't really how they wanted the game to feel. In arena mode they might add an announcer though, If I remember correctly.

I'd love an announcer though :D Similar to this https://youtu.be/Y4y8ph3cH54?t=26

Ah Redline, great anime in terms of style and crazy racing :D
i wonder if something like a "drop-in" start like in the movie would be possible...

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:12 pm

Sticky drops another Redline reference, ha

Yeah it's hard to know how much we'd like to push the whole TV angle. It would be a very underground broadcast, but widespread, and only on one channel that jumps frequencies frequently to avoid getting shut down.

Little drone cameras would be cool, but additions strictly for visual flair are pretty low priority right now.

The main thing is trying to keep it looking underground and not commercial. No sponsors or advertisements, just racing and money
Game Director
GRIP

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:12 pm

Yrch wrote:i wonder if something like a "drop-in" start like in the movie would be possible...

Yo this is something I don't think have been discussed yet on the forum :O Devs, how will a race start? Will the cars just spawn at the beginning of a track with some brief cinematic like most racing games or are you planning something over the top like Trackmania: Turbo?

https://youtu.be/3piye62BYf4?t=30

Chris_CE wrote:Sticky drops another Redline reference, ha

I can't help it ;)

I think the game's direction can go both ways but I do also like yours and potterman's view on how you want the game to feel like, underground and criminal.
You're just a voice pal.

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:04 pm

i was talking to potterman bout this.
what about a track where the cars are starting on a hughe carrier ship, then when the race starts you drive for a few seconds and then jump off the carrier and fall onto the track.
i think this would be really cool if sprint tracks would make it into the game.

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:16 am

That would be cool
You're just a voice pal.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:21 pm

Point-to point tracks would be cool in normal races. Just depends on budget, as it's more expensive to do that instead of looped ones (more content)

As for the carrier idea, that would work, but all of the assets associated with the carrier would need to be reusable in other tracks and possibly planets.

StickyBassline wrote:Yo this is something I don't think have been discussed yet on the forum :O Devs, how will a race start? Will the cars just spawn at the beginning of a track with some brief cinematic like most racing games or are you planning something over the top like Trackmania: Turbo?

https://youtu.be/3piye62BYf4?t=30

I think the game's direction can go both ways but I do also like yours and potterman's view on how you want the game to feel like, underground and criminal.

Yeah we'll have an intro for sure, but most of the time it'll no doubt be skipped. Rob already coded in a bit of a sweeping camera to view the cars before the race

Also, check out the story section on the website: www.gripvideogame.com
Can get a feel for the direction we're headed
Game Director
GRIP

Sceptre
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Sceptre » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:25 pm

I always liked the feel from RC where it was kinda underground with just a few cutscenes that put that across. No crowd for ambient sound, just the DnB soundtrack.

Return to “Grip General Discussion”