GRIP Fan-film?

Discuss anything regarding Grip that doesn't belong in the other forum categories
Nivlac95

GRIP Fan-film?

Postby Nivlac95 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:22 pm

Hi Guys,
I love this game and I would love to make a Fan-Film focused on Story told thru awesome races!
We could use real actors in front of greenscreens to put them in the Cars. Also it would be cool to do a official musicvideo with that style.
I would love to start experimenting, so is the a possibility to create custom camera moves like in the Dance of Destruction trailer?

Who would like to help?

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: GRIP Fan-film?

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:31 pm

Do you have any experience making films ? Not everyone has greenscreen at home.. And if you wanna make scenes where people interact with each others, this means you would have to make these people meet in some place, with cameras and the like.

Also, I believe the custom camera moves are only possible if you're a dev - I believe the amount of work they would need to bring it up to public would be equivalent to bringing mod support. So, yes, it would be a huge amount of work for them as well.

Even a 15 min film, it sounds like a huge project - not impossible, but you'd better be ready and have some experience with project management in general.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:32 pm

What Potty just said.

However, ambitious... I like that ^^
Animated or 3d modeled seems more feasible at first, dunno the extent of your skills though Nivlac95. I think we have already some 3d artist in the community... they might answer that call :)
I'd be totally hyped to see the result ofc

Nivlac95

Postby Nivlac95 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:13 am

Yes I have some experience. I've just finished my story driven 25 minute near future drama. Here is a trailer: https://youtu.be/uWWgIFtBvHY (It's in german)
And I did a 3D animated Musicvideo a while ago: https://youtu.be/L6OfRmvZ-QM
I also have a greenscreen at my place. Guys, I realy would like to do this! Please introduce me into the camera machanics if possible.
Doing the project in 3D instead of in-engine would be possible, but much more work. ^^

Similii
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Similii » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:22 am

Good idea but I think we can wait story mode to get a consistent lore with characters.... (even if I like the actual one ofc)
If you want to be grammar nazi to me, just do it, that will improve my english :3

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:34 pm

Well, about the story, we have a solid taste of what it's going to be at https://www.cagedelement.com/grip/#story
I'm rather enthusiast wih the idea, characters could be taken from Rollcage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehd7vCd3zf8 and their story expanded to make a bridge with GRIP.

After all, Yuri made it to become an Industrialist, owning colonies over different planets (our map Yuri Industrial). Other characters could have their story told of how they became manufacturers for the cars we have now after they went to retirement following their golden days of racing (Ria, Lothar, Lenny, Leon, Jet...)

This way one doesn't mess with the story GRIP will tell in the story mode. Just an idea.

Muskylounger
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Muskylounger » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:22 pm

I'm definitely keen to help out, here are some fan art renders Ive done so far of a title and one vehicle

https://vimeo.com/158422744

https://vimeo.com/162639394

https://vimeo.com/163344222

I think it could be done without taking up too much of the devs time to help us. I think if there is either a build with a free camera or even easier for them just an orbiting camera around any car (cycle through the cars) as part of the replay system.

Though I dont know when they are planning to add a replay system. It would way to do the race part of the film as you could first drive the race from a normal view and cause whatever action to occur (example two particular cars are bitter rivals and you target them then wait until they attack you back etc) then you can go back and do dynamic angles of the action in the replay.

For the live action / CG dialogue shots, thats cool you have a chroma green. So you just need to find some actors in your area (which is where?) to act on the screen. You could even have a bright green/blue box they lean on like they are leaning against the step to their rollcage (I mean grip vehicle :p)

Then Id be happy to help composite this into a 3D scene using cinema 4D, its fairly easy to get a landscape happening that looks like it would be at one of the tracks, really basic but just defocus it so the focus is on the characters and cars.

For the cars Chris has already given me a Dominator 3D model compatible with Cinema 4D or Element. If we ask nice we might be able to get another 1 or 2. They are nicely detailed models so they can be big and close.

Muskylounger
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Muskylounger » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:05 am

Here is one more example I just came up with of the Dominator on a planet surface landscape like its near a track

https://vimeo.com/164510614

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:34 am

You improved the tyre texture from the other two tests it seems :)

Muskylounger
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Muskylounger » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:41 pm

Its less reflective but just a cheat for now I dropped the reflection globally for the whole car. In the process of separating the wheels

Muskylounger
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Muskylounger » Mon May 02, 2016 9:32 pm

One more, got the wheels separated and got it driving and firing!

https://vimeo.com/165083699

DriftRacer14

Postby DriftRacer14 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:20 pm

We haven't even gotten a solid sense of scale of Humans VS Grip Vehicle (Which I think I can settle with an RC:S2 screenshot; I just need to find the time to sit in front of the TV and wait for the right loading screen). Might wanna get that down before we think of putting humans near these things and muddying the waters XD
OK, tell it to me straight... in Rollcage Stage II for the PS1... was Winter Wonderland II even possible to Gold Medal...? :cry:

Retreating is Running Away. Falling Back, however, is simply Advancing in a Different Direction.

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:36 am

@DriftRacer14

Best indication we have so far (and one of the best artworks).

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:23 am

Yeah, scale is already built-in with the UE4 measures, but I reckon an average human height is about half a tyre... or something like that.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:10 pm

Yeah the tires are about 6ft high. Some of the concept art exaggerates the size
Game Director
GRIP

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:18 am

Chris_CE wrote:Yeah the tires are about 6ft high. Some of the concept art exaggerates the size

Only 1,8 m ? I thought it was more like 3,5 - 4 m. Noooo the science is all wrong. Burn the science ahhh.

Seriously i thought they were bigger.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:17 am

Django wrote:Only 1,8 m ? I thought it was more like 3,5 - 4 m. Noooo the science is all wrong. Burn the science ahhh.
Seriously i thought they were bigger.

Ahaha same X)

Similii
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Similii » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:20 pm

if there is a fan film, I want to be the GRIP TV speaker, I would improve my english just for that :D
If you want to be grammar nazi to me, just do it, that will improve my english :3

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:53 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Yeah the tires are about 6ft high. Some of the concept art exaggerates the size

The logic failed here i think xD With such small tires nobody would even fit in the car xD

Similii wrote:if there is a fan film, I want to be the GRIP TV speaker, I would improve my english just for that :D

Count me in on that. I got a studio Microphone so you know :D
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:16 pm

WROB3L wrote:

The logic failed here i think xD With such small tires nobody would even fit in the car xD

I give this a big "meh"
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Grip General Discussion”