Downforce flaps that open when you are driving on walls or the ceiling

Discuss anything regarding Grip that doesn't belong in the other forum categories
JoshG273

Downforce flaps that open when you are driving on walls or the ceiling

Postby JoshG273 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:12 pm

Something that has always bothered me is the fact that the cars seem to generate downforce to drive on walls and ceilings at will.

Obviously in real life cars are designed to generate downforce in a single direction, down, however grip cars can drive upside down too, and since they look the same either way up, downforce is not generated by the bodywork.

Having a few flaps and fins that open on the car when you drive on walls or ceilings would be such a nice detail to see.
Only a masochist uses a boost in a tunnel.

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Re: Downforce flaps that open when you are driving on walls or the ceiling

Postby TheOnLY » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:29 am

I would like to see the car react to surroundings and events too, but if it is going to be added it will probably be done towards the end of development.

atv_123

Postby atv_123 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:18 pm

You know... this is actually a really good point because to create downforce normally, you would need a differing shape from one side to the other... which as you pointed out is not actually a thing in these vehicles.

For whatever reason, I always thought that to achieve downforce from these cars, that whichever side it was on, the front of the car would always drop lower then the back, and thus, creating a low pressure zone under the car like a diffuser.

However, active aerodynamics like on the Pagani Huayra would be an excellent addition and make these vehicles much more believable.

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:36 am

You could actually suck the car to the ground using a vacuum while maintaining a symmetrical shape.

atv_123

Postby atv_123 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:33 am

While this is true, the fan required to actually create a vacuum underneath the car would be enormous and run at some serious speed since the volume of air that would need to be moved would be so immense due to the lack of ground effects and the fact that there is such a large gap under each car to the surface. However, the force generated by such a fan would probably be more than sufficient to hold the car upside down even at a complete stand still.

That idea however did give me another idea. What about a 'ram air' downforce system? Air is taken in at the front of the vehicle (plenty of space to do it seeing as most of these vehicles have completely blunt front ends) and 'redirected', depending on which side is up, to vents on the top of the vehicle... preferably one near each wheel or one in line with each axle. At the speeds these things travel, it seems rather easy to imagine them having the capability of redirecting enough air in this way to actually create some useful downforce.

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:27 am

These things weigh a few tons. If you want their appearance to match their capabilities, we'd have to slap wings and a tailplane on them.
It would work well with the turbine engines on the back, sure, but then we're gonna have to take a look at other things as well.

EMP permanently disables your own car and doesn't display any visual feedback.
The blue barrier keeping you inside the racing tracks has to be removed.
The system that keeps angular velocity on collision in check has to be removed, 'cause real cars tumble like crazy when they hit something.
80% of development resources go towards terrain deformation, 'cause stuff warps when you hit it with say... 648 megajoules (jebus... and that's with the cars weighing a understated 90.000 kg).

I get it, immersion requires illusion and maybe the current car models just don't cut it for you, but when in doubt (excuse me for linking to this trash):
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/fucking-m ... -they-work
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/ancient-aliens

DriftRacer14

Postby DriftRacer14 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:42 pm

atv_123 wrote:What about a 'ram air' downforce system? Air is taken in at the front of the vehicle (plenty of space to do it seeing as most of these vehicles have completely blunt front ends) and 'redirected', depending on which side is up, to vents on the top of the vehicle... preferably one near each wheel or one in line with each axle. At the speeds these things travel, it seems rather easy to imagine them having the capability of redirecting enough air in this way to actually create some useful downforce.

GIVE THIS GENIUS A COOKIE!!! :ugeek:
I like the way you think.
OK, tell it to me straight... in Rollcage Stage II for the PS1... was Winter Wonderland II even possible to Gold Medal...? :cry:

Retreating is Running Away. Falling Back, however, is simply Advancing in a Different Direction.

DriftRacer14

Postby DriftRacer14 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:52 am

atv_123 wrote:For whatever reason, I always thought that to achieve downforce from these cars, that whichever side it was on, the front of the car would always drop lower then the back, and thus, creating a low pressure zone under the car like a diffuser.

I've always thought the same thing; the effect could be achieved by simply directing less power to the electromagnets in the front wheels (Since its been canonically proven that the wheels are held on by them). This would make the front of the vehicle sag a bit, creating the necessary low pressure area blow the vehicle.
I'm sure a combination of a lot of these different methods (and others) could potentially make it into the official lore. GRIP's still kind of young; I feel like the backstory and details are going to be filled in more as time goes on, so we'll just have to wait and see.
OK, tell it to me straight... in Rollcage Stage II for the PS1... was Winter Wonderland II even possible to Gold Medal...? :cry:

Retreating is Running Away. Falling Back, however, is simply Advancing in a Different Direction.

Return to “Grip General Discussion”