Play without Steam

Discuss anything regarding Grip that doesn't belong in the other forum categories
dchawk

Play without Steam

Postby dchawk » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:17 pm

Hi there,

First of all a brief history, i did own a PS1 and i was really addicted to Rollcage, not so long ago i bought a PS4 and just recall about this game, googled about it seeking for a version for PS4 which gave me to know GRIP, the game looks really awesome! but so sad it isn't available for PS4, let me say that i will happily pay +100€ for it.

Well, thing is, that i use my PC for work and i'm very strict on what gets installed on it -- actually i don't have a single game on it, after all i own a PS4 to play games. However, while is stated that GRIP will be available for PS4 at some point, i think i can't wait :)

So, the question is, is there some way to play this game without having to install Steam as well? Something like, i give you my money and you send me back a link to a downloadable version of the game not tied to Steam? additionally it'd we really awesome if it's also made on a portable way, so that i can extract the archive somewhere, double-click an exe and start enjoying without leaving a trace of its usage on the PC afterwards :)

Probably you guys have better things to think on than trying to satisfy an strange request from a single person, but hey i had to ask it and i will really love if my request is feasible, i do also hope i won't be alone buying that version.

Best Regards.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Play without Steam

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:30 am

You can setup Steam so that it doesn't start on boot - and you don't even need an internet connection then, since you can play in Offline mode.

What is the difference between starting GRIP straight away, and starting steam then GRIP ? Only a few more clicks :p

Besides, you can also create a second session - one personal, and one for work. That's what I did with my PC for the few times I have to boot on Windows while at work.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Falkerz
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Falkerz » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:19 am

To build on what the lovely and super friendly potterman is saying, you can even add a shortcut on the desktop that will launch the game directly, by opening steam. And Steam is pretty easy to control as well.

Theoretically, it's possible to have the game installed and managed via steam, and run it separately, but it may not like that. So, Steam would be best. Having a separated user account is nice, as you're not tempted to play it then. Good thing I don't use my own laptop for work...
"Tired are we, the few who battle endlessly, against the never ceasing sound, of inevitability..."

dchawk

Postby dchawk » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:08 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

Well, these are valid points, but fact is that i don't want to have Steam on the list of installed programs, anywhere on this PC.

I guess i'll have to wait for the PS4 version, or i may purchase a new PC if that takes too long, i'll think about it.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:55 am

dchawk wrote:Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

Well, these are valid points, but fact is that i don't want to have Steam on the list of installed programs, anywhere on this PC.

I guess i'll have to wait for the PS4 version, or i may purchase a new PC if that takes too long, i'll think about it.

Well if you're anti-steam, yeah unfortunately you will have to wait. Since GRIP is in Steam Early Access, it can't be DRM free right now.

To quote the official webpage:
Official GRIP website wrote:Will there be DRM-free digital versions?

We’re not planning DRM-free digital versions at the present time, however there's a while before release to explore DRM-free options.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Lifell
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Lifell » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:46 am

I just want to ask really. You don't want Steam to be on your PC at all. Or you don't want to have Steam obviously installed? I figured you wanted to hide the fact that you have Steam on a work PC for example. It might even be possible to install Steam. Copy Steam.exe (or all the files it might make a difference). Uninstall Steam and than put the files back.

A better option would be to put Steam on an USB. You install Steam to an USB and after that you install GRIP while you have launched Steam from the USB. You can of course run the installer to install Steam directly on the USB than copy those files > uninstall Steam from Windows > put the files back. This is also to avoid some configuration issues. After that make sure to run Steam as administrator and install your game. This makes sure your OS/PC itself stays clean but you can still play GRIP. I suggest an 3.0 USB if you have an 3.0 port on your work PC.

About this: "Probably you guys have better things to think on than trying to satisfy an strange request from a single person, but hey i had to ask it and i will really love if my request is feasible, i do also hope i won't be alone buying that version."

It's something that I think about a lot aswel. You can also look for a portable version of Steam. The above method does put some things in %appdata% folder for example. Those portable versions are third party so NOT made by the Steam developers (Valve). I really love portable versions! Portable versions is nothing more than an application that doesn't use anything from the OS. It doesn't use the %TEMP% folder. It doesn't use %appdata% to store some options for the user. It's simply 1 folder (on an USB for example) that has everything that the application needs.

If you are going to use any of those methods do know that your savegames from GRIP will be stored on your PC. Probably in "My Documents" or %appdata%. If Steam installs something like Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 than it will install on your PC as well. It's really likely you already have these things installed already.

I hope I helped a bit :P.

EDIT: It could be that Steam can't be made portable. Because Steam needs to install a service (services.msc). It's probably the case. I would avoid Steam portable versions for now.

potterman28wxcv wrote:

Well if you're anti-steam, yeah unfortunately you will have to wait. Since GRIP is in Steam Early Access, it can't be DRM free right now.

To quote the official webpage:
Official GRIP website wrote:Will there be DRM-free digital versions?

We’re not planning DRM-free digital versions at the present time, however there's a while before release to explore DRM-free options.

I don't think "anti-steam" is the word for it. He wants to keep his work PC clean. I can understand where he is coming from. If there is some valuable data used for work on my laptop for example. I want to avoid things like Steam as much as possible. However, if my laptop is for work AND hosts data that CAN'T be lost than Steam is simply not an option. There is also the habit of: "Well GOG Galaxy is fine too than. I mean Steam is installed as well!" Steam also requires some things installed you don't really need.

Return to “Grip General Discussion”