Game lobby and chat

Discuss anything regarding Grip that doesn't belong in the other forum categories
Volken

Game lobby and chat

Postby Volken » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:43 pm

I think the game would benefit from a lobby that has a list of all of the servers and a chatroom for everyone who's online to talk, add eachother to steam and get some games going! Having just a find game feature feels kind of isolated and creating a room and waiting for it to fill up hoping that someone will find it doesn't seem like a good solution, a better alternative would be just inviting people from a global chatroom and i think it would be a much better and faster way to enjoy the multiplayer aspect of the game! The find game feature can be left in place as a way to quickly find a multiplayer game. I'd love to hear what you guys think!

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Game lobby and chat

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:28 pm

+1000 for the general chat feature. It would comfort you that you are not alone in there. Besides, one could imagine people planning a custom game or stuff like that.

For the lobby list, I would really love that if it's possible. Or at the very least, like it's been suggested internally, something to let us skip a game we don't want to play and hop to the next.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:43 pm

A general chat is a very good idea
+1
might prevent from having to go all the way to server list if folks can just coordinate

Tathendal

Postby Tathendal » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:59 pm

+1 !

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:42 am

Sounds good but what if the game gets more players? Divide the general chatroom and give them a max size (and what should that size be)?

I like to get in contact with people from far away but its maybe better for the performance to get grouped with people near you (and of course it would be very cool if you get grouped with people living in the same city)

I guess a 100 people in a general chat is more than enough or 25 maybe. If theres more than the max number for one general chat you get asked with which people you want to be grouped together (near/far/dont care/continent/state)? Or maybe more a background option and general selection would be "dont care who but fast".

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:04 am

Don't you think a global chat would be filled with spambots after a short time?

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:11 am

TheOnLY wrote:Don't you think a global chat would be filled with spambots after a short time?

Spambots that own the game? Wouldnt that require a very specific hack for this game? Sounds like a lot of effort for simple spambots.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:16 am

Django wrote:Sounds good but what if the game gets more players? Divide the general chatroom and give them a max size (and what should that size be)?

You could have a limit to the number of posts you can do per second if it's needed.

Besides, it's unlikely that all the players will just sit there in the general chat. Most of them will be racing. It would be only for those who are waiting I guess and/or planning to plan a game.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:52 am

@Potty
True, most likely it wouldnt be too many anyway. Needs some real world testing.

Return to “Grip General Discussion”