Rant about destructive / killing parts on tracks..

Discuss anything regarding Grip that doesn't belong in the other forum categories
0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Rant about destructive / killing parts on tracks..

Postby 0Blueaura » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:57 am

Before You post anything please consider the fact I'm trying to make a good discussion where your opinion could help future grip development.

I heard that multiple times from Devs and people, that they DO NOT like when they got destroyed by the track itself (death pits or other events), but I want to point out, when you do crash, is it because your own failure? You have crashed and the best way is to reset the car or get back to the track if easier. But when it comes to things such us random events, meteors falling from sky, ice storm etc. What's wrong with it? what makes it annoying? is it because You cannot get over dangerous obstacles?

Some have said that it's annoying to get back on the track after flying out of boundaries and getting teleported back, but now is it the problem? I myself get annoyed when I have to press reset button, as it slows you down dramatically (0 km/h and starts in middle air), it's not track problem, it is how RESET itself works, and how you failed to survive in a "combat racing". In my opinion, everything supposed to be a danger.

But now don't jump on horses yet, I'm not saying each track should have some dangerous event on it. People want to drive competitively in GRiP. They want to share and beat best times and fight against each other, without environment influence, but what is so bad in creating tracks where you know something WILL happen and you have to pay attention to both racers and the track. Wouldn't that be satisfying to blew your enemy away into the oblivion? Wouldn't that be humiliating if happened to you?

Let Me hear Your thoughts on it. Myself I want some tracks to have influence on how the car drives, reacts and can be destroyed. But not every as such player that doesn't want it can have fun as well.
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mik1
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Rant about destructive / killing parts on tracks..

Postby Mik1 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:13 am

I would personally like to see that and i propably wouldnt mind if for example, the meteors in rollcage could mess you up but with the option to turn it on/off.
basically an option in the race settings for map hazards.

I think the main issue with it is the random element to it, you could get a disadvantage from getting hit by a random map hazard.

One of the things i love in rollcage is that the track changes throught the race from destuctible objects. Usually the objects that might block you will get destoyed during the race opening up the track a bit more. I wouldnt mind seeing more breakables that would cause rock obstacles on the road you have to watch out for.

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:24 am

That's nice, I would like to see destructible object triggering events. Can't wait to see the actual 4th planet, Orbital Prime

Mostly I was thinking of static event that happens each race, after a lap or 2, with up to 3 or more possible variations.

I'm big fan of "apocalyptic" races such as Motorstorm apocalypse and split/second, and GRiP in my opinion with option to toggle, events (besides the ones we do ourselves) could be an amazing feature.

Sevuz

Postby Sevuz » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:02 am

Yeah I'm 110% on with this. There is really need for some fresh air within the racing genre. pretty much all of them is the same "sports car race". Before GRIP, the last time I have fun playing a racing game was WipeOut HD and Motorstorm: apocalyps on PS3.

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:58 am

I'd freaking love it. Sandstorms on Yuri Industrial that greatly limit everyone's vision (or even a large-ass tornade that pulls your car to the left/right, requiring you to compensate), lightning strikes on Alathra Wastes.
Caged Element simply doesn't have the manpower to realise things like Split/Second or Motorstorm did, but I figure a few more large, dramatic obstacles on the tracks will go a long way towards making the planets feel 'alive'.

The meteors in Rollcage 1, the destructible buildings, billboards and flying ships all contributed to the 'alive' and dynamic nature of the tracks. It's one of the main reasons why I regard Rollcage as far superior to the Wipeout games it rivaled back then and one of the main reasons why the game has aged so incredibly well. It'd be a damn shame if GRIP were to disregard such an important feature of it's predecessor.

Considering GRIP can't go overboard with destructible buildings and the billboards might be a bit too 'Rollcage-y' for their liking, I think enviromental hazards would be a very neat addition (despite requiring less player interaction and being less of strategic benefit to the gameplay compared to the Rollcage 1 obstacles I mentioned).

All in due time though ;p

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:54 pm

All in due time indeed. We'd love to see all this kinda stuff implemented. But it wouldn't be an option in the menu, it would be a game feature of the tracks I think. Too much time and resources would go into this to not make in mandatory to be seen
Game Director
GRIP

Roq
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Roq » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:46 am

I'm up for anything that adds visual impact to the game, not to mention anything that can force the pack up front to slow or have issues, allowing the rear runners to bunch up with them again. It's also very cool because things like this can happen mid race and alter the track layout from then on. Always nice to change things up.

VooDooQky

Postby VooDooQky » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:01 pm

What about triggered events on maps? Like you pass on a lever with your car and some obstacle open up before you, or change location in openings behind you? Like half door/wall closes and opens on the other side of the tunnel? Or bridge open up, firewall trigger which would limit the view of the track for the ones in front of them?

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:04 pm

The trees in the festive arena map... the more I see folks bumping into them in videos, the more I want to bash the living sh*t out of every single one of them in a secret console mode to delete them

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:23 am

Yeah the problem with the trees all being destructible is it bringing even the best PC to it's knees

VooDooQky wrote:What about triggered events on maps? Like you pass on a lever with your car and some obstacle open up before you, or change location in openings behind you? Like half door/wall closes and opens on the other side of the tunnel? Or bridge open up, firewall trigger which would limit the view of the track for the ones in front of them?

Would be cool to shoot things to trigger them, so that you need to expend a pickup to take advantage of it
Game Director
GRIP

Costa

Postby Costa » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:22 pm

Random events on track? uhh.....maybe in game settings before starting. Im not a fan of that kind of things, maybe i just want to race on a static track, no surprises

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:06 pm

Costa wrote:Random events on track? uhh.....maybe in game settings before starting. Im not a fan of that kind of things, maybe i just want to race on a static track, no surprises

the more diversity the better ;) some tracks will and will not have those hazards

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Tue May 03, 2016 2:32 pm

If random stuff is an issue, why not have a competitive mode where random events are turned off?
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Return to “Grip General Discussion”