Opinions and ideas

Discuss anything regarding Grip that doesn't belong in the other forum categories
Rakunish

Opinions and ideas

Postby Rakunish » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:18 am

Hello,

I apologize for my English in advance.
I played a lot of Rollcage back in the day, so I bought GRIP. I think it's really nice to see this kind of game back on scene. Great work.
Anyway I played for an hour or so and I've noticed a few differences, which I'm not entirely sure of.

I'd be happy if someone could confirm this for me (please correct me if I'm wrong):

Pickups:

Firestorm:
- No longer gives extreme boost immediately but instead it lasts a few seconds while greatly increasing the speed.
- Doesn't free the weapon slot immediately on use but instead slot remains "full" while the power is active.

Opinion:
I think Firestorm was better in Rollcage because it allowed you to get extreme boost on use, so you could pass your opponents and pick up powers before they did. Unfortunately as Firestorm is now, it will not allow you to pick up powers while it's active (powers that would otherwise go in the weapon slot where Firestorm was). The extreme boost on use was risky because it would make you lose balance quite fast. But you could also pick up new power because it freed the slot on use, high risk, high reward. Also, I think the Firestorm from Rollcage made the game more entertaining, because it wasn't all about getting past the opponents, but about stealing the powers from them, reaching the powers so you could save yourself from rockets (in hopes you'd pick up Aegis before the rocket hit you). Basically it offered more than it does now.

Assassin:
- No longer goes in front of the target before it hits them.

Opinion:
Not sure if this is how it's intended to work or not. But it seems the Assassin can't be destroyed like it could be in Rollcage.

Other:

I've tried to get speed boost from start, as it was in Rollcage if you pressed forward on "Go" sign. But couldn't get it. Was this feature removed or am I just bad?

Ideas:

Pickups:

Power Fusion - Sometimes when you have two Gattler powers and the opponent is in front of you, you can only use one, while the other one is useless in that moment and it even unables you to pick up other powers while the first Gattler is active. This doesn't only apply to Gattler, but also to some other powers.

So what I suggest is. Make two types of same power fuse, making it stronger and more effective. This will not only make the power more useful, but it will also free one weapon slot.
For example (speaking from imagination):
Two Aegis fuse into something which "absorbs two rockets instead of one."
Two Firestorm fuse into something which "gives you even greater speed that lets you escape rockets that are after you."
Two Assassin fuse into something which "hits not only the first but also the second player (unless you're the second)."

Well you probably get the point.

Cosmetics:
- Neon lights!!
- Colored thrusters

Comments appreciated.

Mik1
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Opinions and ideas

Postby Mik1 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:37 am

Im hoping to see the turbo start return, feels like a classic arcade racing feature you gotta have. i dunno about the devs idea on it

Similii
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Similii » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:49 am

Rakunish wrote:Hello,

I played a lot of Rollcage back in the day, so I bought GRIP. I think it's really nice to see this kind of game back on scene. Great work.
Anyway I played for an hour or so and I've noticed a few differences, which I'm not entirely sure of.

I'd be happy if someone could confirm this for me (please correct me if I'm wrong):

Pickups:

Firestorm:
- No longer gives extreme boost immediately but instead it lasts a few seconds while greatly increasing the speed.
- Doesn't free the weapon slot immediately on use but instead slot remains "full" while the power is active.

Opinion:
I think Firestorm was better in Rollcage because it allowed you to get extreme boost on use, so you could pass your opponents and pick up powers before they did. Unfortunately as Firestorm is now, it will not allow you to pick up powers while it's active (powers that would otherwise go in the weapon slot where Firestorm was). The extreme boost on use was risky because it would make you lose balance quite fast. But you could also pick up new power because it freed the slot on use, high risk, high reward. Also, I think the Firestorm from Rollcage made the game more entertaining, because it wasn't all about getting past the opponents, but about stealing the powers from them, reaching the powers so you could save yourself from rockets (in hopes you'd pick up Aegis before the rocket hit you). Basically it offered more than it does now.

Assassin:

Opinion:
Not sure if this is how it's intended to work or not. But it seems the Assassin can't be destroyed like it could be in Rollcage.

Other:

I've tried to get speed boost from start, as it was in Rollcage if you pressed forward on "Go" sign. But couldn't get it. Was this feature removed or am I just bad?

Ideas:

Pickups:

Power Fusion - Sometimes when you have two Gattler powers and the opponent is in front of you, you can only use one, while the other one is useless in that moment and it even unables you to pick up other powers while the first Gattler is active. This doesn't only apply to Gattler, but also to some other powers.

So what I suggest is. Make two types of same power fuse, making it stronger and more effective. This will not only make the power more useful, but it will also free one weapon slot.
Two Firestorm fuse into something which "gives you even greater speed that lets you escape rockets that are after you."
Two Assassin fuse into something which "hits not only the first but also the second player (unless you're the second)."

Cosmetics:
- Neon lights!!
- Colored thrusters

Comments appreciated.

So, first, Grip is NOT Rollcage, it's inspired by it but is NOT Rollcage! So Firestorm with a delay is good because you have to think use it with strategy and not use it instantly (not like me :3)
I agree with starting boost but keep in mind that this game is at the start of Early Access so I think we could have it later :) (but let them focus on PhysX and Multi first :p )
The Assassin is in WIP and they want it to hit you in the face don't worry :p
For the upgrading system, don't worry they are thinking about it, check the suggestions thread ;)
And I like your fusion's idea (but check my thread in the suggestions, I talk about it deeply :p )
Have fun playing !! (and thanks again CE <3 )
If you want to be grammar nazi to me, just do it, that will improve my english :3

Rakunish

Postby Rakunish » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:57 am

Similii wrote:
Rakunish wrote:Hello,

Pickups:

Firestorm:

Opinion:

Assassin:

Opinion:

Other:

Ideas:

Pickups:

Cosmetics:
- Neon lights!!
- Colored thrusters

Comments appreciated.

So, first, Grip is NOT Rollcage, it's inspired by it but is NOT Rollcage! So Firestorm with a delay is good because you have to think use it with strategy and not use it instantly (not like me :3)
I agree with starting boost but keep in mind that this game is at the start of Early Access so I think we could have it later :) (but let them focus on PhysX and Multi first :p )
The Assassin is in WIP and they want it to hit you in the face don't worry :p
For the upgrading system, don't worry they are thinking about it, check the suggestions thread ;)
And I like your fusion's idea (but check my thread in the suggestions, I talk about it deeply :p )
Have fun playing !! (and thanks again CE <3 )

I know what your trying to say about Firestorm but I still think it had more strategic uses in Rollcage. (getting past opponents, stealing powers, avoiding terrain collision if timed correctly because of the immediate boost, etc.)

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:52 am

Literally everything you wrote in this thread is already on the forum xD Changing colors of the thrusters will be implemented. That was my idea xD
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:51 pm

Be nice, Wrob3l

Thanks for the post Rakunish

The game is still very WIP, so many of what you've mentioned aren't final, especially the pickups
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Grip General Discussion”