Are console versions a possibility?

Discuss more technical topics here
Stinkinmushroom
Grip Contributor
Grip Contributor

Are console versions a possibility?

Postby Stinkinmushroom » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:02 am

Hi,

Personally I was a big fan of the PS1 games and actually never tried it on PC. GRIP becoming a reality triggers all my PS1 nostalgia days and I would love if this game also comes out on PSN. I don't know if it's a hard thing to do but for the kickstarter, it would definitely get more attraction aswell.

Am I alone wanting this? What do you guys think ? :)

harrisonosirrah

Re: Are console versions a possibility?

Postby harrisonosirrah » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:08 am

I'd be interested in console versions as well. Possibly as a stretch goal. I guess we'll have to wait and see what kind of priority that is for the devs.

Dups

Postby Dups » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:13 pm

You need $$$ to be able to publish games on XBLA or PSN afaik, that's definitely a stretch goal.
/╲/\( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)/\╱\

Dups: who is codemonkey
Dups: dont know the guy
potterman28wxcv: yeah i don't know if i can trust him
potterman28wxcv: he says he is an old ATD dev
potterman28wxcv: like wtf is ATD ?
Dups: attention to dicks?

Torben
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Torben » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:32 am

You need a license per console. I know that Sony makes more of a fuzz about you launching a title on their console than Microsoft does, so you might be better off on the Xbox (including Windows integration, though not everyone is happy with that). But both ask for quite the fee, though, as Dups already posted.

Still, would be a nice stretch goal. ;)
And the Dutch said: "Wees zuinig", and thus, somewhat later, we had the moneyz.

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:13 pm

It'd definitely be a smart thing to do.
  • Large potential customer base = more income.
  • (Slowly) modernized publishing policies of Sony and Microsoft's means it's easier than before to sell something on their platforms.
  • Potential to attract more publisher/investor interest.

And considering it's running on Unreal 4, I doubt it'd be difficult to get it up and running on PS4/Xbone.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:47 am

We're deep into exploring this idea and would love to be ablet to promise a PSN version of the game via Kickstarter, but it's not that simple.
We'll keep you updated.

@Broscar: nice fluffybunny in your sig, there ;)
Game Director
GRIP

Stinkinmushroom
Grip Contributor
Grip Contributor

Postby Stinkinmushroom » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:25 am

Chris_CE wrote:We're deep into exploring this idea and would love to be ablet to promise a PSN version of the game via Kickstarter, but it's not that simple.
We'll keep you updated.

@Broscar: nice fluffybunny in your sig, there ;)

I have faith! :mrgreen:

Stinkinmushroom
Grip Contributor
Grip Contributor

Postby Stinkinmushroom » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:58 pm

Great to see you guys mentioning ps4 on the website :D

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:27 pm

Is this game going to be just for Windows on Steam, or both Windows and Mac?

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:43 pm

We have no plans for a Mac version, but that could change depending on demand down the line
Game Director
GRIP

dragonlightning

Postby dragonlightning » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:04 pm

I'm surprised that they are only targeting PS4 and not both Xbox One and PS4. Since UE4 can export to both just as easy and both Sony and Microsoft have inde programs that make it easy to get a game out there plus they both help get things set up to work smoothly with their platforms. Apart from the fee they charge there shouldn't be anything to get in the way of a multi platform release.
Unless of course its just personal preference in which case that's fine but unfortunate.

harrisonosirrah

Postby harrisonosirrah » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:54 am

dragonlightning wrote:I'm surprised that they are only targeting PS4 and not both Xbox One and PS4. Since UE4 can export to both just as easy and both Sony and Microsoft have inde programs that make it easy to get a game out there plus they both help get things set up to work smoothly with their platforms. Apart from the fee they charge there shouldn't be anything to get in the way of a multi platform release.
Unless of course its just personal preference in which case that's fine but unfortunate.

Ya, I gotta say I'm disappointed too. I would love a physical copy for Xbox One. I was at least hoping it would be a stretch goal.

Stinkinmushroom
Grip Contributor
Grip Contributor

Postby Stinkinmushroom » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:23 pm

dragonlightning wrote:I'm surprised that they are only targeting PS4 and not both Xbox One and PS4. Since UE4 can export to both just as easy and both Sony and Microsoft have inde programs that make it easy to get a game out there plus they both help get things set up to work smoothly with their platforms. Apart from the fee they charge there shouldn't be anything to get in the way of a multi platform release.

I think it's not out of the question but the developers are right now focusing on PS4 and PC. It was also first PC but I think Sony contacted the devs to help them out with the PS4 process. Nothing is definite :)

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:32 pm

We're a really small indie developer (right now). This means it's hard for us to support too many platforms.

We chose PC (Windows) and PS4 because they're the obvious choices. PS4 makes more sense than XB1 because of Sony's history with Rollcage.

That said, no platform is off the table yet ;)
Game Director
GRIP

samlii
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby samlii » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:28 pm

I said a similar piece in the steam thread, but I would say if you guys have any intention of being cross platform you at least talk about it now before you become to entrenched in any of the libraries or ways you are doing things. I would love to see a linux build, and know a few others would as well. UE4 seems to support linux, but there are still things that need to be thought about before they become stumbling blocks later.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:42 pm

It's very hard to tell right now if we'll have the resources to get the game on platforms other than PS4 and PC (windows). That's why we're not supporting them as of yet.

Linux is, unfortunately, a very small player base compared to other platforms, so it won't be first on the list, I can say that much. A release on Linux may not justify the resources used to get us there, even if UE4 supports Linux. There's still quite a lot to it.
Game Director
GRIP

AlexNights

Postby AlexNights » Tue May 16, 2017 12:25 pm

I love to play on the Pc but unfortunately my work requires me to travel quite a bit. So I'm quite the fan of portable gaming. What difficulty aside from licensing would Caged studios would have to port the game to the switch? In the more technical aspects, and have they ponder the idea?

Also seeing that we are in the early years of the switch life, it seems to me that Caged would have more exposure seeing that there are less high profile games to take the spot light.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon May 22, 2017 4:46 pm

We'd like to be on every console, ideally - but we can't say anything about the possibility of being on the Switch at this time
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Technical & Hardware”