System requirements & optimization

Discuss more technical topics here
the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

System requirements & optimization

Postby the-GURU-man » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:16 am

Hey guys,

apart from looking forward to the game, I am wondering what system requirements are you targeting?

I am just a little worried, since the reincarnation of Carmageddon didn't work so well on my computer - and I blame poor optimization, the game didn't look that hot!

Anyway, my specs are:
CPU: Intel Core i5 3470 (4x 3.2GHz)
GPU: HIS Radeon 7750, 1GB GDDR5, Low Profile
RAM: 16GB DDR3
HDD: 1TB WD
+ some other necessary components

Upgrade is not really possible, since I am running a SFF desktop with just 240w PSU.

Will GRIP run properly on my machine? I am not talking about ultra settings, just mid-high on 1080p. Didn't have any problem with Hitman Absolution, Wolfenstein The New Order, Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed 4, etc.
! ! ! RUNNING THE BEST OS EVER ! ! !

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: System requirements & optimization

Postby StickyBassline » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:14 am

I'm a little scared of this too, since it's Unreal 4 which guaranteed is the most demanding engine on the market, and to add to that this game wants huge maps and really fast rendering.
You're just a voice pal.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:00 pm

I'll start by saying that GRIP will run far better than Carmageddon. It appears as though they barely optimized that game.

Keep in mind that UE4 is incredibly scale-able, meaning we can have many levels of detail. So we should be able to have optimal settings for many configurations

GURU, a 240 watts for a PSU is quite low for the hardware you've got. I'm surprised your PC is stable using that PSU

What average framerates are you getting in Hitman and AC4?

@Sticky: if you look at something like ARK, it uses UE4 and has a absolutely massive environment with plenty of player and AI interactions firing off at once and it runs pretty well on a lot of hardware.

Our levels are not open world and there are considerably less scripts going off on a constant basis.
Game Director
GRIP

HijackedBrain
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby HijackedBrain » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:10 am

StickyBassline wrote:Unreal 4 which guaranteed is the most demanding engine on the market

Oooow you're so pure and innocent, just promise me to never launch any cryengine 2 game ok ?
Jokes aside, Unreal 4 is pretty solid and makes good use of multicores unlike other game engines. I wouldn't worry about that too much.

What could be ressources heavy is the destructible environment, but from what I've read we're far from there yet.

But yeah please, don't force us to buy a new GT970 SLI :mrgreen:

My (laptop) specs for comparison sake:
Intel Core i7-4700MQ ( 4 cores @ 3,4Ghz )
Intel HD Graphics 4600 + NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M
12 Gb RAM DDR3-1600

and it runs UE4 realistic rendering rooms and Paris virtual tour just fine (30 -> 60 fps).

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:49 am

HijackedBrain wrote:
StickyBassline wrote:Unreal 4 which guaranteed is the most demanding engine on the market

Oooow you're so pure and innocent, just promise me to never launch any cryengine 2 game ok ?
Jokes aside, Unreal 4 is pretty solid and makes good use of multicores unlike other game engines. I wouldn't worry about that too much.

What could be ressources heavy is the destructible environment, but from what I've read we're far from there yet.

But yeah please, don't force us to buy a new GT970 SLI :mrgreen:

My (laptop) specs for comparison sake:
Intel Core i7-4700MQ ( 4 cores @ 3,4Ghz )
Intel HD Graphics 4600 + NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M
12 Gb RAM DDR3-1600

and it runs UE4 realistic rendering rooms and Paris virtual tour just fine (30 -> 60 fps).

I've only played Crysis 3, and it went fairly well on my 680.

Ever played Ark? Even with a 970 4gb you can't run it on the highest with more than 30 fps. And on my 680 I'm forced to play on low graphics.
I'm even developing in it and just the basic beginner blueprints are crazy demanding :shock:

We'll see though, UE4 is super flexible and I'm sure the devs will figure out how to optimize it well.

Edit: @Chris, Thanks for the clarification, but I'm not so sure if I agree that it runs great on a lot of hardware, even on the lowest you need a pretty high end pc, and to run it on max you need a fullblown super computer.
You're just a voice pal.

HijackedBrain
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby HijackedBrain » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:28 am

@StickyBassline
Well Crysis is well optimized (hopefully) because it's the showcase game of the cryengine.
And in my opinion UE4>CryEngine (for optimization, but mostly for its ease of use). But once again just my opinion.
And it's not really faire to use ARK to judge UE4. It's like if I used StarCitizen (barely 15fps on my laptop ....) to judge CryEngine. Pick some finished and already optimized games to compare :p.

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:45 am

Chris_CE wrote:I'll start by saying that GRIP will run far better than Carmageddon. It appears as though they barely optimized that game.

Yeah, I figured as much after playing for a while. Runs like crap. When I wanted to get to playable framerates, the game didn't look much better than the first two Carmageddons.

Chris_CE wrote: GURU, a 240 watts for a PSU is quite low for the hardware you've got. I'm surprised your PC is stable using that PSU

I somehow got the base computer for free. It's HP Elite 8300 Small Form Factor. Then I did my homework and searched a lot for the most powerful compatible card. The version from HIS runs amazing, the same card from Sapphire does crash the PCs of other fellow owners quite a lot. Problem is that apart from getting an SSD, I have maxed out the PCs possibilities.

Chris_CE wrote: What average framerates are you getting in Hitman and AC4?

I am always setting up 1080p resolution and then adjusting graphics quality until I get to around 30 fps with mid-to-high settings. AC4 runs better than Hitman.
Shadow of Mordor proved to be more challenging for my hardware, though.

Anyway, I would kill for a low-fidelity option in GRIP. Something like low-polygon models, with flat simple textures, visually closer to RC games, or Tron 2.0 and FC3 Blood Dragon. Would you consider that in future updates??

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:11 pm

HijackedBrain wrote:@StickyBassline
Well Crysis is well optimized (hopefully) because it's the showcase game of the cryengine.

*mumble mumble* Crysis 2's stupid as f*ck tesselation and the sea being rendered under every map even though it's not visible.

GRIP should be fine, as long as they don't enable dynamic lightning for rockets again :p

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:48 pm

Carmageddon runs like ass because they built their own engine from scratch instead of using an existing, proven, well-optimised engine as a base.

Just saiyan'.

Ontopic though, if you can run any modern games on medium-high settings then you'll be able to run Grip, I'm sure. Though really, you should get a better computer. 240watt PSU? like, holy crap, mine's like 4x that one. I'm impressed it runs.

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:49 pm

As far as i have ssen the UE4 is very scaleble, running well with lowered settings on even on lower end PCs while it still looks fantastic maxed out. If GRIP is planned to be ported to PS4 some day the hardwarerequirement shouldn't be super high any way (if the devs know what they are doing :P)

Also Gurus computer should be using only about 200W (~ 85W CPU + ~25W Mainboard + ~70W GPU + less than 10W for HDD) at max load. Also keep in mind that computers are usually not running at max load while gaming, but rather a single component, most likely CPU or GPU

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:56 pm

One day I will upgrade ;)

Today I played few hours of Mad Max. Must admit that the game is really well optimized. Runs okay on 1080p and mid-high settings, runs butter smooth (60fps) on higher settings at 720p.

Also, I am a freak for small computers. My next computer will be my own build in something like those sweet Silverstone Raven mini-ITX cases.

Fun fact: I got my PC for free, they are throwing away shitloads of computer at my university.

Purple44
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Purple44 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:27 pm

I was surprise with Mad Max that I'm getting a constant 75 FPS with the default settings the game pick for my minimum requirement 660 video card. I now have all graphics settings max and getting 45-75 with a 1280x960 resolution.

Guess after all I did not need the 960 4GB video card I getting delivered today.

How well can you guys run Bugbear Wreckfest? That a game that can tax your video card. But new Build #7 that added Directx11 and physically base rendering is in need of more optimization. It took Stainless other 5 months after release to release an update for Carmageddon:R to get game to finally run better on most players computers ( release last week ).

Will GRIP be just a Directx9 game or do the Devs plan to do a Directx11 version?
Wreckfest fan boy. :D

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:46 pm

DX9?
I think it's more like between DX11 and DX12 :D

rikybot96
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby rikybot96 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:56 am

But what are the system requirements of the beta?

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:56 am

rikybot96 wrote:But what are the system requirements of the beta?

The beta version is too far ahead. They can only give an approximation of these requirements.

Chris_CE wrote:I'll start by saying that GRIP will run far better than Carmageddon. It appears as though they barely optimized that game.

Keep in mind that UE4 is incredibly scale-able, meaning we can have many levels of detail. So we should be able to have optimal settings for many configurations

This answer should tell enough ; just look at Carmageddons system requirements to give yourself an idea
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:52 pm

the-GURU-man wrote:Anyway, I would kill for a low-fidelity option in GRIP. Something like low-polygon models, with flat simple textures, visually closer to RC games, or Tron 2.0 and FC3 Blood Dragon. Would you consider that in future updates??

YES. I do want this. I think a lot of people would appreciate it, so it's something I'm keeping in mind for very early iterations of the game.

TheOnLY wrote:As far as i have ssen the UE4 is very scaleble, running well with lowered settings on even on lower end PCs while it still looks fantastic maxed out. If GRIP is planned to be ported to PS4 some day the hardwarerequirement shouldn't be super high any way (if the devs know what they are doing :P)

Also Gurus computer should be using only about 200W (~ 85W CPU + ~25W Mainboard + ~70W GPU + less than 10W for HDD) at max load. Also keep in mind that computers are usually not running at max load while gaming, but rather a single component, most likely CPU or GPU

Yeah we're aiming for 60 fps on PS4 so we'll need to optimize for less than top-end hardware. Keep in mind though that the PS4 only operates to run games and nothing else. Once we have a PS4 dev kit we shall know more ;)

BTW, when I looked up Guru's specs my calculator said 310w is what it uses at max load.

the-GURU-man wrote:DX9?
I think it's more like between DX11 and DX12 :D

All the way from DX9 to DX12 I'd imagine. Though don't expect DX12 compatibility until release, if it's implemented.

rikybot96 wrote:But what are the system requirements of the beta?

I'm assuming you mean early access, but we'll know more in a month or so when we've done some more extensive testing
Game Director
GRIP

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:48 pm

Just bought a Gigabyte 970 graphics card in preparation for grips early access release :D
You're just a voice pal.

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:16 am

StickyBassline wrote:Just bought a Gigabyte 970 graphics card in preparation for grips early access release :D

Wife just bought me a PS4, so I won't be splurging on PC hardware anytime soon :D

Looking forward to train on PC, then crush my friends in split screen (or split projection on the wall) on PS4 :D :D

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:46 am

StickyBassline wrote:Just bought a Gigabyte 970 graphics card in preparation for grips early access release :D

Well, not to long ago, I made myself a pretty powerful rig, with the main intent on running grip.
It's in the "share your rigs" topic, but I'll post it here again, because of reasons...

• Corsair case carbide spec-01
  • Gigabyte GA-Z97X-gaming 5 motherboard
  • Intel I7 4790 (3.6 GHz quad core)
  • Scythe mugen 4PCGH CPU cooler
  • 2X Corsair vengeance LP 8BG DDR3 memory
  • Asus GeForce STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 graphics card
  • Samsung evo 850 250GB SSD
  • Western Digital black 2T HDD
  • Coolermaster 750W PSU
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:07 pm

landvaarder wrote:Well, not to long ago, I made myself a pretty powerful rig, with the main intent on running grip.
It's in the "share your rigs" topic, but I'll post it here again, because of reasons...

Sweet dude, hopefully we both can run the game past medium graphics :p
You're just a voice pal.

Return to “Technical & Hardware”