Will it have potato support?

Discuss more technical topics here
Moo

Re: Will it have potato support?

Postby Moo » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:55 am

potterman28wxcv wrote:
Chris_CE wrote:Pretty much what Broscar said. We can't afford to optimize for every setup on the planet :/

Please GRIP on mobile phone. :D

Grip for DOS when? :mrgreen:
sus

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:22 am

Moo wrote:
potterman28wxcv wrote:
Chris_CE wrote:Pretty much what Broscar said. We can't afford to optimize for every setup on the planet :/

ASCII GRIP hell yeah !
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:19 am

potterman28wxcv wrote:
Moo wrote:
potterman28wxcv wrote:Please GRIP on mobile phone. :D

ASCII GRIP hell yeah !

GRIP the Text Adventure !!!
! ! ! RUNNING THE BEST OS EVER ! ! !

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:57 pm

Settle down guys. All those games would be far too intense :p
Game Director
GRIP

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:44 pm

If you ever release a DOS version of (heavily chopped version) GRIP on several floppy drives, you'll be forever remembered for the best practical joke ever. And it would give my USB floppy drive a sense of purpose :D

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:14 am

potterman28wxcv wrote:

I second this motion. I would like a five minute battery life for my phone. The mobile port of GTA III and ps1 emulation just isn't doing it for me.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

NecroWolf12
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby NecroWolf12 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:22 pm

Would it be possible for you guys to support or at least account for Nvidia optimus? It's for their laptop cards and controls switching between onboard and dedicated graphics. My laptop is the only PC I play games on and sometimes games don't run well because they don't use the dedicated graphics even though my laptop meets the requirements.
"Hollow the leader"

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:37 pm

NecroWolf12 wrote:Would it be possible for you guys to support or at least account for Nvidia optimus? It's for their laptop cards and controls switching between onboard and dedicated graphics. My laptop is the only PC I play games on and sometimes games don't run well because they don't use the dedicated graphics even though my laptop meets the requirements.

You can actually change your settings so that your games run on the Nvidia card instead of your onboard one.

See here : https://support.lenovo.com/nz/en/documents/ht078706

(On a side note, I doubt the dev team would be able to do anything for it ; it's up to the Unreal Engine to handle it. They can try to optimize the textures and stuff, but afaik they can't change the way the engine handles graphics computations)
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

NecroWolf12
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby NecroWolf12 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:45 pm

I know about changing those settings. It's just that some games don't pick up the dedicated card even after doing that. If it is an Unreal Engine thing then an engine that widely used and scalable shouldn't have an issue. I guess I can only know for sure when we can play the early access build...which feels so far, far away...
"Hollow the leader"

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:32 pm

NecroWolf12 wrote:I know about changing those settings. It's just that some games don't pick up the dedicated card even after doing that. If it is an Unreal Engine thing then an engine that widely used and scalable shouldn't have an issue. I guess I can only know for sure when we can play the early access build...which feels so far, far away...

Like Rocket League? Rocket League doesn't pick up secondary dedicated cards on laptops.

I discovered on Windows 10 that if you right click a game executable it gives you the option to choose between running the game on a dedicated or integrated chip. Or at least on this laptop (i7 5700HQ/GTX970M/Intel HD5600) it gives me the option. Probably sh*t out of luck on windows 7/8.1 though but eh.

A game like Grip deserves more than a potato though.

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

NecroWolf12
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby NecroWolf12 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:54 am

I play most of my games on PS4, so my laptop isn't stellar, but it is serviceable. I want to play GRIP on PS4 obviously, but I'll also buy the early access version because I want to support the developers and...well...play the game. So even if it runs at 0.5 frames a second on my laptop, I wont be too angry because at least I'm helping out with a great project like this. If runs decently on this laptop, then that's a bonus :D
"Hollow the leader"

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:58 pm

We're trying to get the game to run on as many machines as possible, but we can't account for every specification at this point in dev. Time will tell! That's all I can really say.
Game Director
GRIP

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:20 pm

Chris_CE wrote:We're trying to get the game to run on as many machines as possible, but we can't account for every specification at this point in dev. Time will tell! That's all I can really say.

Intel HD 3000 ??? :D

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:25 pm

Dear god, the HD 3000 is useless.
From Haswell onward the Intel integrated graphics are superb, but anything prior to that makes me want to gauge my eyes out.
Shame on you for even suggesting that.

You should've mentioned the PowerVR SGX 545 :^)

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:42 pm

Broscar wrote:Dear god, the HD 3000 is useless.
From Haswell onward the Intel integrated graphics are superb, but anything prior to that makes me want to gauge my eyes out.
Shame on you for even suggesting that.

You should've mentioned the PowerVR SGX 545 :^)

lol my laptop has Intel HD5600 graphics ..... apparently it has only 128MB of dedicated video memory and uses 2-3GB of RAM for the rest. Integrated graphics chips are -never- meant to play games on. lol.

But if you guys want to really try and run this game on potatos, I have two old laptops at home I could maybe try and run the game on. Though I'm guessing the older laptop won't run the game at all because it's a 1.7Ghz dual-core with ATI Radeon X300M graphics and doesn't even have shader 3.0 support. (my other laptop has dual Geforce 880GTX's and should run the game on potato settings heh)

Speaking of terrible integrated graphics - S3 ProSavage DDR (32MB). Now excuse me whilst I cry in a corner reliving my adolescent years' attempts of playing Trackmania on it...

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

DragonH

Postby DragonH » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:00 am

i have an:
8GB RAM
i7 DUAL CORE 5500 U 2.40GHz turbo boosted to 3.00GHz
2GB GFORCE 820 M

and it doesnt run properlly all settings on LOW ='8 only 20-30 FPS...whyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:01 pm

potterman28wxcv wrote:ASCII GRIP hell yeah !

There's a filter in SweetFX that changes the image to ASCII. Looks quite interesting, though eyes get tired quite quickly.

DragonH wrote:i have an:
8GB RAM
2GB GFORCE 820 M

and it doesnt run properlly all settings on LOW ='8 only 20-30 FPS...whyyyyyyyyyyyyy

2GB GFORCE 820 M - that's why. Don't expect miracles from a low-end laptop GPU. Unless it's a proper gaming laptop with a 970M/960M, then don't expect any level of smooth gameplay.

DragonH

Postby DragonH » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:34 pm

Ryu Makkuro wrote:
potterman28wxcv wrote:ASCII GRIP hell yeah !

There's a filter in SweetFX that changes the image to ASCII. Looks quite interesting, though eyes get tired quite quickly.

DragonH wrote:i have an:
8GB RAM
2GB GFORCE 820 M

2GB GFORCE 820 M - that's why. Don't expect miracles from a low-end laptop GPU. Unless it's a proper gaming laptop with a 970M/960M, then don't expect any level of smooth gameplay.

well i got 40-60 FPS now, but forced on 800x600 only

DriftRacer14

Postby DriftRacer14 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:39 am

Well this absolutely made the confidence I have in my laptop skyrocket... He said sarcastically as hell. :(

Edit: I can confirm that I can in fact run the game in a fullscreen window so long as I set launch options to "-resx=800 -resy=600", and I actually get a playable framerate!

"Wait, a window? Why?"

Well that's so I can more easily splash the game onto our 27" analog television via my HDMI to AV adapter using 'Windows Key + Right' then 'Windows Key + Up' :D I'm starting to think the "-resx=800 -resy=600" isn't working, though, because it actually looks really good for being on an analog television of that size... or maybe I'm just used to crappy graphics XD

My Laptop has Intel HD Graphcs 4000 with 32 MB of Dedicated Video Memory, and it saps another 1760 MB from the system RAM (Of which I have 8GB installed). I've got an Intel Core i3 3130M, and if you need any more details on my laptop it's an HP 15-d038dx (Intel Series).

Long story short, if you're concerned as to whether or not your rig can run GRIP but you've got specs equal to or greater than mine, fret not, for you should be fine, but you might have to install Razer Cortex (Or some other similar program) and use the GameBooster to get your rig running Grip without choking. I might test Grip without using GameBooster one of these days, but at this point I'm almost certain that program is my laptop'smain saving grace lol
OK, tell it to me straight... in Rollcage Stage II for the PS1... was Winter Wonderland II even possible to Gold Medal...? :cry:

Retreating is Running Away. Falling Back, however, is simply Advancing in a Different Direction.

Return to “Technical & Hardware”