Kickstarter : why asking so much ? (post from David Perryman for future reference)

Discuss the trailers, news or campaigns related to GRIP
potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Kickstarter : why asking so much ? (post from David Perryman for future reference)

Postby potterman28wxcv » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:32 pm

David Perryman wrote:@Killubear: Thank you for your pledge. I can understand your hesitation. Hopefully to answer your concerns: rest assured we've meticulously scheduled and costed every element we need to develop and deliver the game we're promising. Chris, Rob and myself are taking minimal wage, however we can't expect to bring in talented people without paying them the going rate if we want to maintain the quality we're going for. There are also licenses to buy, a studio to pay for, sfx and music. There are the Kickstarter costs, plus the Steam and PSN costs associated with delivering the digital version of the game out to you guys. As well as duplicating, packaging and printing costs for delivering the physical versions.
We're asking for £320,000(UK) which includes all those overheads not just the development costs. To put that in perspective, Rollcage cost in the region of £750,000(UK) to just develop the game, and that was 15 years ago on much simpler platforms. I believe Psygnosis then spent twice that on manufacturing and marketing. (Double the figures above to get an indication of that in $CAD)
The time is ripe to do this now because UE4 gives us so much to begin with. For the first time in fifteen years we have the opportunity to get this game out to the community at a cost within reach of that community. We believe there is enough interest amongst the community to justify us making this, but it's not big enough to interest the big Publishers. Which is why we've made the decision to take this route. And since we're all in this together, we want to hear your voice on the forums: positive, negative, ideas, everything.
I hope that addresses some of your concerns for now.
I want to thank everyone that has backed us so far. I am amazed every day at such positive support we're getting from the community, it's quite overwhelming at times. Still a long way to go and it's far from certain we'll get there. But thanks so much for all your support.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... t-10863034
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Kickstarter : why asking so much ? (post from David Perryman for future reference)

Postby yellowquiet » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:23 pm

I'm kinda scared the kickstarter won't make it.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Kickstarter : why asking so much ? (post from David Perryman for future reference)

Postby potterman28wxcv » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:09 pm

There is still hope ! It's not yet impossible
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Tom

Postby Tom » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:36 am

I dont even want to say how bleak im going to be should it not, BECAUSE IT WILL!

Power of positive thinking! This game needs to happen!

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:53 am

Quoting the soldier from TF2:
"I am scared, you maggots"
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

TOSSMEH
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TOSSMEH » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:45 am

20 days to go is still plenty of time!
Gripping Grip's Grip Greatly Grudgingly

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:37 pm

We're making this game guys, Kickstarter funding or not.

We're far too passionate and dedicated to not push GRIP to you guys. We won't let you down.
Game Director
GRIP

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:18 pm

Chris_CE wrote:We're making this game guys, Kickstarter funding or not.

We're far too passionate and dedicated to not push GRIP to you guys. We won't let you down.

There goes all of my worries. I was worried this would end up as a pipe dream if the kickstarter falls short.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:15 pm

Holy sh*t. I am speechless. Whatever the outcome will be, i am honored to have known you guys.
Oh yeah? I'm so boring that http://forum.cagedelement.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:11 pm

...and here i was worried because i thought all my dreams would be over if we didn't reach the funding goal!

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:18 pm

Wreckfest proves that an unsuccessful Kickstarter does not mean an unsuccessful game.

... I had been worried about what might happen if it fails (and the pessimist in me is tugging...) but that's eased me a bit. You know dang well that if needs be all of us will just throw money directly from Paypal to an Early Access account-thinga-ma-bob like Bugbear/Refract (Distance) did. :D

Whee.

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:31 am

Also, Kickstarter/EarlyAccess are probably going to take a good cut of the sum, won't they? I'd be glad to fund you via any transaction system that has a 0% cost for the service.

Heh, this comes to mind... http://www.federicopistono.org/blog/misadventures-of-a-crowdfunding-campaign
Oh yeah? I'm so boring that http://forum.cagedelement.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:05 pm

There's a cost associated with every transaction service, actually

That comic about crowdfunding is great. Also, depressing :P
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “News & Promotion”