HUD talk!

Talk about anything you want regarding GRIP's gameplay mechanics or features (that can't be covered in other forums)
Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

HUD talk!

Postby Broscar » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:51 am

Considering the Grip Trailer 1 discussion thread started to get a bit HUD-suggestions heavy, here's a new thread dedicated to talk just about the HUD.

Current GRIP trailer with WIP HUD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=37&v=fa9BbLRceCA

I've heard yays and nays for colour coding.
I'd like a smaller HUD, whilst K.Mac profits from having a large HUD (scale slider s'il vous plaît?).
Icons were good, icons could use some work.

Let's see some suggestions :)

Moo

Re: HUD talk!

Postby Moo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:10 am

First of all... Lens distortion. Lens. Distortion. http://tinyurl.com/ohd3n98

Second, I agree with Broscar on the scale slider. Can't have a clear line of sight without those pesky HUD elements on it. Ugh.

Lastly, I have some ideas for HUD icons. I'll see what I can cook up for you guys.
sus

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:42 am

GRIP could definitely borrow some design elements of WipEout HD/Pulse for it's HUD :3
What I personally loved, is that the HUD is greatly affected by the gameplay.
This exaggerated what's happening to your ship in a positive manner. Feel the weight of a large drop, the crushing impact of a collision and the sheer speed of a turbo powerup.

yes pls

Stinkinmushroom
Grip Contributor
Grip Contributor

Postby Stinkinmushroom » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:45 pm

Great idea to make a deperate thread.
For the hud the size was not my choice to make and the devs already told me and agrees that its too big and is going to be reduced in size. I basically gave them a high res photoshop file and they integrate the way the prefered. They then chose size and font themselves. Since this was all close to the announcement and the dev wanted to implement it in the game, they didnt have much time to finalize it. However the dev already made it work (speedometer and stuff) in just 1 day or 2 wich is amazing.

Personally I had the idea of making weapons a seperate color from power ups, but not a different color per object. I think we'll go in that direction. I just offered my help but its of course still the 2 devs choice and vision. I'm sure Chris will come in here to read the suggestions. Since I'm not a dev I have no idea what I can and cannot say of their ideas and visions for the hud but you can be sure that the hud will definitely look cooler, smaller and more 'integrated'. Keep the ideas coming guys, especially for the design of the icons themselves. I too believe that it should be really easy to understand at first glance.

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:45 pm

I've been inspired by the octogonal theme stinkinmushroom chose for the HUD to make this icon. Sorry if it's too huge:

You can tell i've been inspired by the pickup icon style of Wipeout Pulse, too. I thought making it an actual turbo instead of the generic chevron would make it look more interesting. What do you think?
sus

harrisonosirrah

Postby harrisonosirrah » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:26 pm

I think an X doesn't mean Turbo to me. I also prefer when the icon is contained in a shape rather than text and that, nub thing.

Endoman123

Postby Endoman123 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:47 pm

Should the HUD be affected by the car? IE: Need For Speed: Shift

So, affect the HUD's position by physics, but also make unique HUD's per-car?
Last edited by Endoman123 on Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stinkinmushroom
Grip Contributor
Grip Contributor

Postby Stinkinmushroom » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:03 pm

the fatter lines with smaller icon inside looks nice, however the icon itself i have to agree that its not very self explanatory.. That squarey line on the side is cool though, lets see in a couple of days once Chris has the time to discuss these. For the border of the icon, I too had a simple fat line, Chris however added the 'steps' in the border to make it less 'clean' I think wich I have to say fits Grip better. Cause otherwise we'll have a too futuristic clean look as in Wipeout, wich I don't think the devs would want.

Moo

Postby Moo » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:46 am

harrisonosirrah wrote:I think an X doesn't mean Turbo to me. I also prefer when the icon is contained in a shape rather than text and that, nub thing.

Stinkinmushroom wrote:the fatter lines with smaller icon inside looks nice, however the icon itself i have to agree that its not very self explanatory.. That squarey line on the side is cool though, lets see in a couple of days once Chris has the time to discuss these. For the border of the icon, I too had a simple fat line, Chris however added the 'steps' in the border to make it less 'clean' I think wich I have to say fits Grip better. Cause otherwise we'll have a too futuristic clean look as in Wipeout, wich I don't think the devs would want.

Noooo no no no no nooo! The text is not part of the icon, and the whole symbol is supposed to be contained in the octagon things. :mrgreen:

Also, for reference: http://tinyurl.com/oth8b62

Thanks for the feedback anyway. :)
Last edited by Moo on Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
sus

Stinkinmushroom
Grip Contributor
Grip Contributor

Postby Stinkinmushroom » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:49 am

Moo wrote:
harrisonosirrah wrote:I think an X doesn't mean Turbo to me. I also prefer when the icon is contained in a shape rather than text and that, nub thing.

Stinkinmushroom wrote:the fatter lines with smaller icon inside looks nice, however the icon itself i have to agree that its not very self explanatory.. That squarey line on the side is cool though, lets see in a couple of days once Chris has the time to discuss these. For the border of the icon, I too had a simple fat line, Chris however added the 'steps' in the border to make it less 'clean' I think wich I have to say fits Grip better. Cause otherwise we'll have a too futuristic clean look as in Wipeout, wich I don't think the devs would want.

No, the text is not part of the icon, and the whole symbol is supposed to be contained in the octagon things. :mrgreen:

Also, for reference: http://tinyurl.com/oth8b62

Thanks for the feedback anyway. :)

Haha would have never guessed that as reference lol

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:41 am

Sorry Moo, but I don't like it.
X doesn't scream boost to me.
This does: Image

scoRpFury

Postby scoRpFury » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:25 am

Stinkinmushroom wrote:Personally I had the idea of making weapons a seperate color from power ups, but not a different color per object.

In some games, for example WipEout, the powerups are in different categories like "aggressive, defensive and neutral(for turbo and thinks like that)"
If this would be implemented in Grip it would look nice, not too boring and not too colorful.

Moo

Postby Moo » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:41 am

Broscar wrote:Sorry Moo, but I don't like it.
X doesn't scream boost to me.
This does: Image

FFS IT'S NOT A CROSS IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE AN ACTUAL TURBO AND IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE INSIDE THE OCTAGON NOT BE THE OCTAGON ITSELF GET YOUR sh*t RIGHT YOU GOD DAMN FLUFFYBUNNY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
sus

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:57 am

Kinda defeats the purpose if you have to explain it, right?

Moo

Postby Moo » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:18 am

Broscar wrote:Kinda defeats the purpose if you have to explain it, right?

Gah, I just wanted something different to the generic arrow sign. Like an actual turbo: http://tinyurl.com/oth8b62 But I guess you're right. :P
sus

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:45 am

I know it's generic and boring, but in a game you have to think about practicality; it's not just art, it's an indicator.
No one ever said it has to be a generic arrow sign though :P It's just that the turbo aspect of it doesn't come across that well.

Speaking of WipEout, even WXL/W3 had chevrons and that game has the most abstract powerup icons in existence.

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:53 am

I was always a fan of 2097's art style.

Perhaps like Wipeout then, an optional commentator for telling you what you've just picked up? Would save even having to look at them in most cases.

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:20 am

WipEout's announcer only announces threats to your ship (e.g. mines on the track), not the weapons that you've picked up yourself.
It would make for a good addition though, whether it be announcing what you picked up, threats to you or both.

Moo

Postby Moo » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:35 am

Broscar wrote:WipEout's announcer only announces threats to your ship (e.g. mines on the track), not the weapons that you've picked up yourself.
It would make for a good addition though, whether it be announcing what you picked up, threats to you or both.

Not the case on Wipeout 3, Fusion and 2048. 2048 even had team-specific weapon announcers.
sus

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:52 am

I'd rather it not tell me what weapons opponents were going to use. Just ones I pick up, as an option.

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Return to “Game Features”