[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 594: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 650: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
HUD talk! - Page 3 - GRIP Video Game Forum

HUD talk!

Talk about anything you want regarding GRIP's gameplay mechanics or features (that can't be covered in other forums)
Jello_Snake
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: HUD talk!

Postby Jello_Snake » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:30 am

The formula fusion HUD has nice effects on it but they're over pronounced. The Wipeout team has been hit and miss with their HUDs. I really liked HD and Pulse's HUDS, but didn't like the rest. The ps1 HUDs were particularly obnoxious, and I could never remember which power up logo was which. I really do like the effects they put on the HUD like the twisting and shaking and stuff, but in that Formula Fusion trailer they're over pronounced. Subtlety goes a long way.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:01 pm

Wipeout HD's HUD is in a strange spot if you ask me. There's too much space between it and the border of the screen.
Just seeing gameplay from it makes me want to buy it though :D

I'm not huge on have a HUD attached the back of the car like in Formula Fusion or Split Second. Much rather have a visor-like HUD that moves around with the action a bit.

GRIP's current HUD was done very quickly just for the videos, so it's going to have many iterations and change a lot before we're done with it
Game Director

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:15 pm

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

hawe-me
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby hawe-me » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:38 am

GRIP WISHLIST
:arrow: WEAPONS: Oil Slicker, Smoke Screen, Saucer Drone
:arrow: GAME MODES: Tournament/Cup Mode
:arrow: HUD SCREEN: Map, Racers Positions top 4
:arrow: VEHICLES: Characters-based or Teams (like Wipeout)

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:30 am

Oh yeah? I'm so boring that
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:06 am

:ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:52 pm

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:16 pm

Game Director

Roq
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Roq » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:46 am

As someone who plays wow, I pretty much made my own UI, and from what I've learned there over the years, for me, having info where you need it is key. One big issue I have in RC is the weapon icons being down in the corner. With large modern monitors, even a quick glimpes down there has cost me time as I smash in to a car porting in front of me or some other mad sh*t going on at 600kph. At the same time, I get that you really don't want a cluttered screen. My ideal solution would be to see weapon pick-up icons appear in the centre of the screen, maybe flashing just briefly and either whiz down to the corner or preferably (for me) go the the top centre of the screen edge.

The border for the icons at the top also helps in that you get a peripheral view telling if you have no icons at all almost without looking.

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:10 am

I loved the minimalistic HUD of Dead Space:

Having more information on screen, I like the way how Split/Second handled it:

For me, track maps, radars, whatever... is not important. Just two semi-transparent icons showing the weapons I have in disposal, hovering behind the car's ass, is enough. If damage model is implemented, maybe a meter integrated into the car's design would be enough. All the other information... well, I understand why many people want that. But would be nice to have it as optional feature, easy to turn off in the options menu.
! ! ! RUNNING THE BEST OS EVER ! ! !

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:41 pm

I actually hate the idea of tying a HUD to the car ingame. I think it's cheesy :P
In Dead Space it worked very well though to keep you immersed in the gameplay.

GURU, you mean a health bar? Yeah, that would definitely be something that could be turned off or on, since it runs immersion for some people. Myself, I don't like everything disclosed for me. In Witcher 3 I turned off health bars except for bosses.
But I do understand that in Arena mode, it's probably a good idea to have it

@Roq: That's a good point about pick-ups and more easily knowing what you've grabbed. Maybe a subtle green or red flash could go off, indicating a power-up or weapon. Having the icons at the top is interesting as well. Will discuss with the team
Game Director

rutra80
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby rutra80 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:12 am

I guess that camera will crop in a way that the car most often will be closer to the bottom of the screen. Therefore, to avoid more than necessary movements of eyes, crucial info should be at the bottom of the screen too. That would be weapon slots and perhaps position.
Less crucial info, like time, and speed (which could be optional) should be at the top of screen.
Generally the less the better.
Just do it the way you did in Rollcage 1

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:11 pm

It makes sense to have the pick-up icons at the bottom, but it depends on whether having them in the middle is too obstructing, or if having them on the side is not too out of the way. Will come down to testing no doubt.

A speedometer is a staple I'd say, and we've currently got it in the bottom right, same as in the videos.
Game Director

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:27 pm

Would be awesome if it had some customizability eventually.
Maybe through hud mods or a big selection of options to change positions of most of the hud components.

Or both ^_^
:ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:00 pm

Options +1
If not possible (should be!), I'd prefer the powerups to be at the top. That way, it's easier to skim between looking at what powerup you got and the road ahead.

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:18 pm

What do you guys think about having a weapon display in the game like Mario Kart 7 or Blur did?

In MK7 you could see who had what weapon and prepare if someone near you picked a star or something.

combining this with a position display would change how you use your weapons drasticly.

Or have it displayed as a hologram behind the enemy vehicle when getting near them, just like blur did with your car.

thoughts?

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:53 am

I love it the way Blur and Split/Second did it - hovering behind the car. Maybe it's cheesy, but it worked nicely. We still battle in those two games with my wife, on occasion :D

If I can make all the stuff from screen disappear, I'd love that. Btw, any plans to implement the "mirror" ??
! ! ! RUNNING THE BEST OS EVER ! ! !

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:13 pm

I've said this in another thread, but I really don't like features that ruin immersion. Having a 3D HUD in the physical game world attached to the car is not my cup o tea. And yeah, it's cheesy :D

A rear view mirror kinda falls in this category as well. Can't we just have a look back button? Makes it more intense IMO

As for HUD options, we'd like to experiment with placement. Your feedback will no doubt help
Game Director

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:31 pm

Check out the for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the

rutra80
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby rutra80 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:40 pm

Yeah both things are useful.
If you decide to disable it please make an option to enable.
Just do it the way you did in Rollcage 1

Return to “Game Features”