Face-up / Face-down gameplay idea

Talk about anything you want regarding GRIP's gameplay mechanics or features (that can't be covered in other forums)
tobias

Face-up / Face-down gameplay idea

Postby tobias » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:44 am

I already posted this on the FB page (with a picture), but a crazy Belgian told me to repost it here.

In Rollcage, cars can drive topside upwards, and flipped over topside downwards.
Now, if you put a small icon (a yingyang ball, or whatever) on the player's HUD or give cars two paint jobs (For example, top red blue bottom), then you could connect this to my gameplay idea;

In the game (or merely in one gameplay mod) put racetracks with minefields (or revolving doors, or whatever), which can be traversed ONLY if your car is currently driving topdown. So, for example, if your topside down car drives over the mines, they do not explode. If your roof-up car drives over the mines, it explodes. This gives players an incentive to use the tunnel walls to flip their cars. + it produces shortcuts in your racetracks which can only be used under certain circumstances.

Tobias V.
FB link here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... tif_t=like

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Face-up / Face-down gameplay idea

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:09 am

I find it too complicated to be integrated in a normal race

And I would not be much appealed to play it I think.. I don't find it very fun. But that's just my opinion.

PS : moved your topic to Grip General Discussion, as it's more about game handling in general rather than vehicles
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Lunatik
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Lunatik » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:27 am

I've also thought about this concept before, that driving face-up/face-down could have some sort of additional effect on the actual gameplay.

But yeah, like potterman said, it might be a concept that is not very intuitive and might actually be confusing.
You also don't have too much control over it, unless there are specific sections in the track where you can drive on the ceiling and switch sides that way. Other than in these parts, you don't really have too much control on which side to drive on.

But as for visually, I always liked it that the top had a different paint/texture than the bottom. So in terms of textures/visual effects, I think it just looks really cool if you can distinguish between the two sides.

harrisonosirrah

Postby harrisonosirrah » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:14 am

They only way I see this working is if the player has a button that flips their car over, and maybe throws it into the next lane (just to make it somewhat difficult to switch).

But I know when I'm racing I am looking where I'm going not at the roof of my car. Not to say this idea could never work, it might just change how the game is played drastically.

tobias

Postby tobias » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:03 am

Well it's been heartwarming to see that none of my contributions to this discussion forum were greeted with support or approval.
Good luck with your game.

Stinkinmushroom
Grip Contributor
Grip Contributor

Postby Stinkinmushroom » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:07 am

tobias wrote:Well it's been heartwarming to see that none of my contributions to this discussion forum were greeted with support or approval.

Lol, opinions man. Your game modes ideas are good and I'm sure the devs will read it, however I think people dont want it too different from Rollcage wich is why they might not want too much new concepts.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:36 am

tobias wrote:Well it's been heartwarming to see that none of my contributions to this discussion forum were greeted with support or approval.

We are just expressing opinions, that's all. I said I was against as the idea is, but that does not mean the idea is complete bullshit. That does not even mean that nobody likes it : i'm sure there will be some people who will like it.

So far, only two people answered back : Lunatik and myself. I clearly said I wasn't that appealed by your idea, but Lunatik did not say he was completely against.

By the way : I am not a dev, I am just a moderator of the forum. So basically just a normal user (and big Rollcage fan of course) with special moderation rights, but I do not represent at all the developing community. Just saying in case there was a misunderstanding. The devs are Chris and codemonkey.

TLDR : Feel free to post any idea on the forum. It's there merely to discuss ; and sorry if you felt left apart.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

mrjimp
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby mrjimp » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:08 am

Hey Tobias,

I liked the Idea, but its very complicated, and probably will only be enjoyed by very advanced racers.

I like the follow upp ideas also:

Flip functionality option. You're driving on a straight, but you want to flip your car for some reason. Sounds like a great feature, and you could make it hard as well, meaning a wrongly timed flip, depending on current car state, such as drifting, or uneven surface, could make you end upp in the dirt or just total chaos. (Not too difficult to control though.)

One reason for wanting to use the flip could be the above idea, or it could also be (follow up idea:)

Locked camera orientation option.

Lets race, but when your car flips over, the camera stays flipped over. Can be very confusing driving in the roof, even though you're not. Experienced players will ofcourse get used to it, but other players might wanna flip the car back.

I Would enjoy locked camera modes races I think.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:12 pm

The different-side-equals-different-effect game mode could be pretty cool. It would have to be a separate game mode, not a normal mechanic, though.

Like some kind of survival mode where you have run a course with no cars to get the furthest with the best time. Reminds me a bit of Audiosurf
Game Director
GRIP

AuguryOne
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby AuguryOne » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:56 pm

While being FORCED to drive one way up/down, wouldnt be interesting, having tracks where there are say, mines by default on the main bottom field, so speeding/scaling up the walls to a magnetic ceiling as an option to mine dodging would be far more fun.

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:48 am

AuguryOne wrote:While being FORCED to drive one way up/down, wouldnt be interesting, having tracks where there are say, mines by default on the main bottom field, so speeding/scaling up the walls to a magnetic ceiling as an option to mine dodging would be far more fun.

Agree with this. OP's idea is nice, but IMO a little bit too complicated.
This is much simpler to integrate into circuits and also for new players to get used to quickly.
OP's idea is more suited for crazy advanced players - but sweet idea for separate race mode. IMO, if the Steam Workshop (or other way of mods) is integrated, we will see many crazy modes like this developed by the community. Wheelbarrow simulator, shopping cart racing and 18 wheeler destruction comes into mind :D :D
! ! ! RUNNING THE BEST OS EVER ! ! !

Return to “Game Features”