Poll: Do you want "characters" as racers in Grip?

Talk about anything you want regarding GRIP's gameplay mechanics or features (that can't be covered in other forums)

Poll: Do you want drivers to have a personality in the game?

Yes, I want to know who's butt my missile is going up
51%
No, I don't care. I just like to see things blow up.
49%

Total votes: 139

HikikomoriGamer
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Re: [NOT SOON BUT LATER] Sugestion related to the Poll: Do you want "characters" as racers in Grip?

Postby HikikomoriGamer » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:31 pm

I just had the idea got excited and did stuff sorry! First I had the idea to just post in the pool but I was afraid it could get lost so I made the post thinking about Potty big listI know it's not something that will be implement yet even Chris said to bring it up later in development so Potty just archived it as [NOT SOON BUT LATER] and life moves on. Please forgive me cause I'm not the brightest in the community :)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M-D3H
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
RAM: 8GB

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: [NOT SOON BUT LATER] Sugestion related to the Poll: Do you want "characters" as racers in Grip?

Postby Broscar » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:52 pm

No problem, mate. Just don't talk down to yourself ;p
I'll kick potty in the nuts for this and have him move the thread.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:14 pm

Broscar wrote:No problem, mate. Just don't talk down to yourself ;p
I'll kick potty in the nuts for this and have him move the thread.

*ouch*
Alright let's move it (move it)
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

tjgcrush
#1 Tester
#1 Tester

Re: Poll: Do you want "characters" as racers in Grip?

Postby tjgcrush » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:25 pm

i was thinking along the lines of "Factions" of drivers like in hot wheels highway 35 figure that in a way it would save time and money
And with his chrome V8 toys
Immortan Joe created the WarBoys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIyRXvHmXxo

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:16 am

tjgcrush wrote:i was thinking along the lines of "Factions" of drivers like in hot wheels highway 35 figure that in a way it would save time and money

Oh man when I was a child I loved it. Especially for the fact that they could die very easily and would be trapped in the realm if not get in time.

- The underwater part where the Blond guy had to get fast to the point

- When they were in space and black hole nearly get one of them

- Lava track ^-^

- And that thunder city in air when the guy exploded

good times. I also remember a very good game Hot Wheels: Highway 35 World Race. This was good, now they are more towards family type of cartoons. meh.
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Blufanta

Postby Blufanta » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:12 am

I liked the kind of characters in the first one! :) They didn't say much or anything like that it's just nice knowing you're driving as an avatar you like :)

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:17 am

My vote goes to "only if drivers aren't tied to specific cars"
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:13 pm

I think the value in RC1 for having an avatar was :
  • notably with the intro video, players could get a correct scale of cars (what I think Grip should toy with)
  • players could "care" about the backstory and fate of persona... (single campaign)
  • ...while car names became irrelevant as a result (as cars were tied to a driver)

In GRIP I think putting a human shape next to car selection should be a nice perspective addition. Other than that, idk, didn't give it much thought

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:38 pm

Queadah wrote:In GRIP I think putting a human shape next to car selection should be a nice perspective addition.

That reminds me of some video game, not sure which one though. Kinda like you got a team of 4 characters standing infront of a big machine, with their logo behind the car.

Xirahii

Postby Xirahii » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:55 pm

HikikomoriGamer wrote:Forget the characters! How about make it simple and have a in-game profile like a document from the future or something like that? This way you can name your character, choose the sex, bio, record a crazy taunt sound so you can use in online races and your Steam avatar would be used there or you could use a different picture just for the game so everyone that plays GRIP is a character online :) In the end after you learn how to play the game offline and clear everything the online mode will be the best place to be so after thinking creating characters for me is a waste!

Another idea! [SNIP]

EDITS WITH MORE IDEAS:

[SNIP]

I was on the fence about where I stood regarding this topic, but this sounds pretty cool. It seems like a compromise both for those who would rather have it so that your only identity is your "car" (a la RC2) and those who would like to have something a little more tangible - something - behind the wheel. If you want something that feels more "personal", go ahead, insert yourself. If not, that's alright; don't customize anything, you're the car.

As was mentioned early on in the thread, these are more cosmetic changes we're talking about here and because of that it will be on the backburner while more important features that directly affect gameplay are tinkered with. But that's me playing Captain Obvious right now.

Although, I'm not entirely sure about you recording your own custom taunt. How would you go about that? It adds personality, sure, but without any kind of filter, it's possible to encounter some potentially grotesque and offensive messages.

HikikomoriGamer
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby HikikomoriGamer » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:58 am

I'm not a fan of male characters that look like monsters or too macho looking or girls that look like whores so I thought about this:

http://i.imgur.com/KprAVYJ.gif

You know Japanese look vs American look :) If you can decide and customize your own game it kind of makes me feel better that way it can please everyone! If they want to make the game look more bad ass and they don't want nothing cute as characters it's up for the devs.

About the taunt yeah I kind of agree :( Too bad there is always some garbage that calls itself a human being and will prevent us to put a nice feature like that in the game cause they will use it for offensive messages.

The devs could always ban ppl who abuse it but I don't know too much trouble???? Maybe something that do not offend me can offend you so maybe we should remove it hahahaha like they care for what I think :)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M-D3H
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
RAM: 8GB

themeii
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby themeii » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:55 pm

With characters you could have special missions against specific characters like Death Rallys "Make sure Duke doesn't finish" missions where you get extra or lose credits depending if you manage to do it.

AssKickerson

Postby AssKickerson » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:50 pm

HikikomoriGamer wrote:Forget the characters! How about make it simple and have a in-game profile like a document from the future or something like that? This way you can name your character, choose the sex, bio, record a crazy taunt sound so you can use in online races and your Steam avatar would be used there or you could use a different picture just for the game so everyone that plays GRIP is a character online :) In the end after you learn how to play the game offline and clear everything the online mode will be the best place to be so after thinking creating characters for me is a waste!

Another idea! This document from the future could appear in the load screen and like little holos in the race (so you can identify your rival easily) that way we can read and hopefully laugh a lot about the crazy characters ppl come up with!

EDITS WITH MORE IDEAS:

Be able to choose some weird horn noises would be cool too!

Don't know if it's nice but since some ppl want characters how about make this profile I'm talking about downloadable? Like I see this really well made character online that was even modeled after the events of the original game story! I download him and it will be there for me to use it to play or it could just be controlled by the AI in the races!

I'm with this idea 100%. Especially love the idea of different horn noises as taunts.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:44 pm

Very cool ideas in here, especially Hikikomori

themeii wrote:With characters you could have special missions against specific characters like Death Rallys "Make sure Duke doesn't finish" missions where you get extra or lose credits depending if you manage to do it.

I really like this, and would like to see it implemented. This kind of thing could add a lot of flavour
Game Director
GRIP

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:04 am

Actually I think the same thing was in GRID 1, when starting the race the camera drops to one of the racers and the guy tells you through the radio:
"He's in the best form, better watch out"
"This driver is insanely aggressive on the road, pay attention"
"This is the best track of this driver, good luck"

This could work so well in GRIP I think :D for example:

"This driver knows that track, keep your eyes on him for shorter paths"
"This guy is ruthless, stay out of his way"
"This is one of the best drivers out there, keep him down"
"One of the drivers got bounty on you, watch for yourself"
"People bet a lot of money on that guy, take him down"

and something along this way

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:05 pm

Yeah TOCA Race Driver had a rival kinda thing
Game Director
GRIP

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:06 pm

Jester should be the ultimate vilain lol

VooDooQky

Postby VooDooQky » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:09 pm

Maybe reactions from the AI later when it gets hit or goes a really good round? Like the comments in UT?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qx8-8w4wSo

Jetgaze

Postby Jetgaze » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:38 pm

Instead of wasting fuel on making 3d dudes and voicing them...

Why not just show Custom avatar when your "character" adress someone?

Add CUSTOM taunts and replies that can be assigned to several actions and its super good.

Example : You attach "Ouch!" to "being hit by rocket" action.

Now players, that hit you with a rocket, see your avatar picture and "Ouch!" written under it.

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:38 am

Jetgaze wrote:Instead of wasting fuel on making 3d dudes and voicing them...

Oh yes please no 3D animated faces those always suck. Only in AAA games they sometimes dont suck.

Partly "animated" 2D Faces could be cool. Jagged Alliance 2 Style.

Voiceover on the other hand would be pretty nice and would add a portion profoundness. Just not for the budget. (Like JA2, Evolve2 or any game with decent voiceover)

Return to “Game Features”