Poll: Do you want "characters" as racers in Grip?

Talk about anything you want regarding GRIP's gameplay mechanics or features (that can't be covered in other forums)

Poll: Do you want drivers to have a personality in the game?

Yes, I want to know who's butt my missile is going up
51%
No, I don't care. I just like to see things blow up.
49%

Total votes: 140

Tazeram

Re: Poll: Do you want "characters" as racers in Grip?

Postby Tazeram » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:09 am

Jello_Snake wrote:Sound like a use of resources I would rather see go into more maps.

Yeah, that's what i've been thinking. Really would like to see a 'Harpoon Islands' style environment, and a 'Jumpgate' inside spaceship environment, but may need to reach a significant stretch goal for any chance of that happening. :?

Tom

Postby Tom » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:02 am

Ok so I voted yes for characters... But im a little 50/50 to be honest... It might be a better concept to go with the car as the character, like KITT, or maybe even like the transformers... I love the interaction of a guy smoking you then screaming profanities as he over takes you! Or popping a shield as a missile locks on to DENY the guy behind you...

If the car customization is at a level that people can make their own vehicles unique enough, then an actual "driver" is not necessary... The Car could become the Character...

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:52 pm

"what you drive is who you are" fits more to Need for speed tho.

.. I still would love to make my own beast
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Tom

Postby Tom » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:32 am

0Blueaura wrote:"what you drive is who you are" fits more to Need for speed tho.

.. I still would love to make my own beast

I agree with this, but would be cool to have different "voice packs" as you pass people etc... like a Pirate voice, AAAARRRRRGGGG!!!! :lol:

Everett Spair

Postby Everett Spair » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:13 am

I'd like to see characters driving the cars but don't restrict each character to a single car like RC1.
Any driver should be able to drive any car.

Hector248
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby Hector248 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:40 pm

RollCage Stage 2 was an extremely fast paced racing game. One mistake or a lucky attack from your opponent and you see yourself on the last place. With that in mind, I don't like the idea of having taunting characters distract me from the race. Also I'm controlling a car racing against other cars, characters would only appear in menues or little screens while taunting. Further more giving them personalities could result in "I want to drive that car, but I don't like the driver" decisions. So I don't like the idea.

On the other Hand taunting sounds like a fun feature for the multiplayer. Having a set of taunts bind to some of your keys and throw them while blowing your opponents up might be good. And I would prefer an avatar instead of some kind of character editor. That way I can use images I already have and don't have to create an character.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:26 pm

Hector248 wrote:On the other Hand taunting sounds like a fun feature for the multiplayer. Having a set of taunts bind to some of your keys and throw them while blowing your opponents up might be good. And I would prefer an avatar instead of some kind of character editor. That way I can use images I already have and don't have to create an character.

In Rollcage Redux, if you type ivegotthehorns, you can use Face Forward key to make a horn sound, which is pretty funny in multiplayer :D
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:41 am

I voted no, but I regret that vote. It would certainly be interesting, I've been dreaming for a racing game that reminds me of the movie Redline, and if we add characters that drive the cars then we can truly implement a narrator that has been previously discussed.

If we don't have names, a narrator would be kinda weird, just a voice going "overtake", or "takedown" or whatever. With characters we could truly get a narrator like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4y8ph3cH54 (29 seconds in)

PS: Devs, you should really see this movie if you haven't :p It's my absolute favorite racing movie that always gets me pumped for digital racing and gives me wild imagination.

Back to the topic, this would of course be a ton of work for the lore, models, animations, voices for the characters, narrators etc. If you really are interested in the idea I wouldn't really see it as a priority.
You're just a voice pal.

Mituki

Postby Mituki » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:09 pm

Nah, I like to think it's me who's driving

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:22 am

Just for the record, we have no intention of assigning a character to the car YOU are driving. Only AI cars would have characters attached to them to add a more personal touch, with the character's style and attitude fitting well with the car they're driving.

For example, a big armoured, ugly alien drives a big, armoured, somewhat abstract looking tank of a vehicle. If you choose to use "his" vehicle in any game mode, then you won't see that character - it's you driving the car, and only you.

StickyBassline wrote:PS: Devs, you should really see this movie if you haven't :p It's my absolute favorite racing movie that always gets me pumped for digital racing and gives me wild imagination.

Pretty cool flick!
StickyBassline wrote:Back to the topic, this would of course be a ton of work for the lore, models, animations, voices for the characters, narrators etc. If you really are interested in the idea I wouldn't really see it as a priority.

It's not a priority, but we don't plan on fleshing it out that much unless we have more funding for it.

The current plan is to have one piece of concept art per character, a small backstory and a voice attached to them. I have a background in voice acting, so that's at no cost (except for the girls voice - or maybe not ;o). The small amount of lore for all the characters will take less than a few hours total. The concepts are what costs money, and even then, it's not much.

Small price to pay for adding some nice depth to the experience, IMO
Game Director
GRIP

Daniel
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Daniel » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:29 pm

Personally, the anonymity of the drivers around me would give me a better experience. If I see the face of someone on my HUD taunting me, it makes the game feel less serious. And these drivers are fighting to the death in an illegal race on distant planets. It would ruin the vibe. Maybe just hearing their voice taunt me would be okay, but I would prefer to have no character implementation.

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:36 pm

Daniel wrote:Personally, the anonymity of the drivers around me would give me a better experience. If I see the face of someone on my HUD taunting me, it makes the game feel less serious. And these drivers are fighting to the death in an illegal race on distant planets. It would ruin the vibe. Maybe just hearing their voice taunt me would be okay, but I would prefer to have no character implementation.

Exactly, Characters could be good for the storyline, but for the taunting, not exactly. its not cheesy hot wheels racing game. its a serious type "motorstorm: apocalypse" or "split/second"

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:10 pm

Chris_CE wrote:I have a background in voice acting, so that's at no cost (except for the girls voice - or maybe not ;o).

Pick up a skateboard and grind some rails.
Soon you'll have a girly voice, thanks to numerous fails!

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:42 am

Broscar wrote:
Chris_CE wrote:I have a background in voice acting, so that's at no cost (except for the girls voice - or maybe not ;o).

THPS doesn't count, BTW. :mrgreen:
sus

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:38 am

0Blueaura wrote:
Daniel wrote:Personally, the anonymity of the drivers around me would give me a better experience. If I see the face of someone on my HUD taunting me, it makes the game feel less serious. And these drivers are fighting to the death in an illegal race on distant planets. It would ruin the vibe. Maybe just hearing their voice taunt me would be okay, but I would prefer to have no character implementation.

Exactly, Characters could be good for the storyline, but for the taunting, not exactly. its not cheesy hot wheels racing game. its a serious type "motorstorm: apocalypse" or "split/second"

I believe that you can have characters but keep gritty vibe of the racing in tact, as long they're implemented in a smart and not cheesy way.

That said, we have no plans on adding characters any time soon, so we can revisit this discussion later down the line ;)

Broscar wrote:

Note to self: never use Broscar's various advice on this forum
Game Director
GRIP

tjgcrush
#1 Tester
#1 Tester

Postby tjgcrush » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:50 pm

i've known that the first day i met him lol
And with his chrome V8 toys
Immortan Joe created the WarBoys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIyRXvHmXxo

Roq
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Roq » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:58 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but as an MMO player, to me, the only way that I as the player would feel connected to an in game character would be if there were a level of char creation and one that sticks with me through the main campaign. Honestly, as awesome as I think that would be, that's a lot of work for something not a lot of people would care about. As long as the cars themselves have a level of personal attachment (progression in power, cosmetics etc), I'm ok.

Another way to go would be to allow players to join crews/gangs or whatever you want to call them to promote unity in the game. I fully hope to meet other players here that I can go up against in game while using ventrilo or TS so I can talk trash to them while I slam them up the rear ;)

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:36 am

Roq wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but as an MMO player, to me, the only way that I as the player would feel connected to an in game character would be if there were a level of char creation and one that sticks with me through the main campaign. Honestly, as awesome as I think that would be, that's a lot of work for something not a lot of people would care about. As long as the cars themselves have a level of personal attachment (progression in power, cosmetics etc), I'm ok.

Another way to go would be to allow players to join crews/gangs or whatever you want to call them to promote unity in the game. I fully hope to meet other players here that I can go up against in game while using ventrilo or TS so I can talk trash to them while I slam them up the rear ;)

Crew/gang is a new cool idea, I'm always a lone wolf tho. About the char creation, it's been mentioned. They won't add it because Chris and the crew needs to focus on other stuff rather than that but still.

Maybe they'll do it though. Let them work on what they want now.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:59 pm

There will never be a character creator in GRIP, I can tell you that. Just too much work for little reward. Would be awesome though!

As for crews, that's pretty cool. Could have different teams battle it out on the course or in an arena.
Game Director
GRIP

Roq
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Roq » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:21 am

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting a character creator, just mentioning that that is how I would get any investment from a character myself. People talk about characters in RC more in reference to the cars tuning than the actual character and so from that point of view, I'd rather have it as in RC2 where there are actual car/engine/tire types to talk about. I guess characters could matter if there is a story mode with lore explained in the game with some sort of narrative involving some drama between racers as the campaign progresses. Otherwise drivers just seem needless work however complex or simplistic they are.

Return to “Game Features”