Poll: Do you want "characters" as racers in Grip?

Talk about anything you want regarding GRIP's gameplay mechanics or features (that can't be covered in other forums)

Poll: Do you want drivers to have a personality in the game?

Yes, I want to know who's butt my missile is going up
51%
No, I don't care. I just like to see things blow up.
49%

Total votes: 140

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Re: Poll: Do you want "characters" as racers in Grip?

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:38 pm

For me, it's all about giving the cars a personal touch, rather than seemingly racing and battling against robot cars.

Characters wouldn't be implemented until close to final release I'd imagine, so probably not something we should worry about yet ;)
Game Director
GRIP

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:42 pm

Sounds good :)
You're just a voice pal.

Validtility

Postby Validtility » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:07 pm

I think either one is fine, but if I got to pick I'd actually want to stay away from characters and focus on the cars as the "Characters" and just put all thought, diversity, induviduality, quirks and effort into them. After all, we are not going to play an rpg game, we are going to play GRIP, and it's all about the race, cars, tracks, action. And I'm pretty sure some of the things I said just mean the same thing.

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:36 pm

I miss the option: "Dont know, both could be good."

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:49 pm

Once you guys are playing and get a feel for the game, I'm sure you'll all have a more solid opinion on having characters or not. And then so will we
Game Director
GRIP

HikikomoriGamer
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby HikikomoriGamer » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:58 pm

We all want something added to the game but some ideas ares just too much and if they put it all in this game it will be a REALLY BIG MESS and it will fail :)

I wanted a story that would make me feel inside the game world, a character creator, now I see this poll and I want characters too so we can have more stories hahahaha

I think they are not bad ideas, with money and lot's of will it can be done but I have to deal with it and say to the devs to avoid all of them cause they are just a indie company! No offense I love you guys :)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M-D3H
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
RAM: 8GB

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:42 pm

HikikomoriGamer wrote:We all want something added to the game but some ideas ares just too much and if they put it all in this game it will be a REALLY BIG MESS and it will fail :)

I wanted a story that would make me feel inside the game world, a character creator, now I see this poll and I want characters too so we can have more stories hahahaha

I think they are not bad ideas, with money and lot's of will it can be done but I have to deal with it and say to the devs to avoid all of them cause they are just a indie company! No offense I love you guys :)

I kinda felt the same about it at first. Something like Jak X: Combat Racing, with serious action/death filled story :)
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

kerikeron
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby kerikeron » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:56 pm

I don't think the characters personality should be flaunted in your face while you race, but maybe different characters use slightly different AI. I remember in Destruction Derby 2, each racer would race a bit differently. "The Pro" would just race as fast as she could. "The Undertaker" would aggressively ram your car out of the way if he needed to. "Learner Driver" could always be found swerving down straights or hitting walls etc.

I think characters' personalities should show through their driving more than their personalities being forced onto your screen/ears. You know, something that's a bit more subtle. Maybe have an AI that likes to take dirt roads more than the tunnels or someone who loves collecting every single pickup where possible (Changes his raceline to go towards an available pickup).

Another game that had a similar feature was Jet Moto. The Max, Wild Ride, Gunner, and Technician were all great racers and would always lead the pack if you didn't choose one of them.

Mart13

Postby Mart13 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:39 pm

Well, i would like characters in it, but i wouldn't mind if you just made a clone of Rollcage Stage 2. But then with better graphical setting.

what Tjgcrush already mentioned.

having characters in a game like this would personally ruin the feel for me, what rollcage stage 2 did made it feel like i was the driver and gave me a more real experience

I dont really need a story in the game, but the racing experience is more important to me. And i like the different game modes from RC2

AND PLEASE MAKE THE CONTROLS ADJUSTABLE, because i hate the Left stick button. It makes the game annoying when you just get airborn and then the SloMo kicks in. I like the Idea of it but make it configurable please.

But last and not least THANKS FOR YOUR GREAT WORK SO FAR. I enjoy the game very much. except the SLOWMO button

HikikomoriGamer
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

[NOT SOON BUT LATER] Sugestion related to the Poll: Do you want "characters" as racers in Grip?

Postby HikikomoriGamer » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:51 pm

Forget the characters! How about make it simple and have a in-game profile like a document from the future or something like that? This way you can name your character, choose the sex, bio, record a crazy taunt sound so you can use in online races and your Steam avatar would be used there or you could use a different picture just for the game so everyone that plays GRIP is a character online :) In the end after you learn how to play the game offline and clear everything the online mode will be the best place to be so after thinking creating characters for me is a waste!

Another idea! This document from the future could appear in the load screen and like little holos in the race (so you can identify your rival easily) that way we can read and hopefully laugh a lot about the crazy characters ppl come up with!

EDITS WITH MORE IDEAS:

Be able to choose some weird horn noises would be cool too!

Don't know if it's nice but since some ppl want characters how about make this profile I'm talking about downloadable? Like I see this really well made character online that was even modeled after the events of the original game story! I download him and it will be there for me to use it to play or it could just be controlled by the AI in the races!
Last edited by HikikomoriGamer on Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

die9991

Postby die9991 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:29 pm

Well I would like to have a repeat of yuri over there. Also, I would like to only have 6 special characters that could be a end race in a section of a championship.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Re: Sugestion related to the Poll: Do you want "characters" as racers in Grip?

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:58 am

Thats a cool idea! Be sure to bring it up later in dev, when we're more able to implement character stuff
Game Director
GRIP

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:00 am

if the story is dark enough to fit heavy dnb the game have its going to be good.

Also some people didin't read, but there will be a police force coming to fight you in your illegal races.

If it will be a story around us, then I would like a dark story, if the story revolves around characters we choose to drive as, I would like different ending for each character.
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:37 am

Interesting idea :)
You're just a voice pal.

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:15 am

To be honest. I love that idea. I never liked playing as someone in rollcage
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

Sigrid
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Sigrid » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:33 am

I'm not really sure about this one. On one hand, i remember games (like the first Rollcage and Wipe'Out" games, and others too) where you had one specific pilot for each vehicle, and i was never a big fan of this. I even ended never using some of the vehicles because of the pilot!

On the other hand there are games where it always felt right. The best example i can come with is -watch out, oldie incoming- Jet Rider (i guess it was called Jet Moto in English), with 20 pilots on each race, divided on four teams, some being good almost everytime, some being really crappy -yet capable of amazing results once in a while- and others making average results most of the time. Each championship on this game felt different from the others, sometimes you could win the whole championship without winning every race, and sometimes a single accident could ruin the whole season. I know it had a lot of bugs and didn't age too well (it's one of the first PlayStation games after all), but man, i still love playing this game even now!

Anyway i think Grip should definitely have racing teams based on different car manufacturers, but i'm really not sure about the pilots thing, though i must admit that if it's done well, it can really be great. And with many pilots it's getting interesting to know who's who.

I guess we just need to have faith in the Dev team, so far you've done a really good job! ;)

HikikomoriGamer
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby HikikomoriGamer » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:36 pm

Yeah this can happen! Sometimes I would see some pilot and hate his attitude or just the face and never pick him hahahaha

and Man! Jet Moto is another game I would like to see revived :)

But I still think the time they spend making faces would be better making tracks!
Last edited by HikikomoriGamer on Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HikikomoriGamer
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby HikikomoriGamer » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:45 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Thats a cool idea! Be sure to bring it up later in dev, when we're more able to implement character stuff

Thanks man! This is one of my suggestions that made me more excited I'm glad you liked :)

Be able to choose some weird horn noises would be cool too!

And thanks to Potty and his big list of suggestions not even a single suggestion will be lost!

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:04 pm

HikikomoriGamer wrote:Be able to choose some weird horn noises would be cool too!

I Would LOOOVE to have the horn from the Subnautica`s Submarine <3
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: [NOT SOON BUT LATER] Sugestion related to the Poll: Do you want "characters" as racers in Grip?

Postby Broscar » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:41 pm

Why is this in the Private Release Feedback subforum and not in the thread you linked to yourself?
Or are you dead-set on having this in the game during the private early access pre-alpha?
[NOT SOON BUT LATER]

Return to “Game Features”