Current patch feedback

Here you can post bug reports, comments, suggestions and other feedback regarding GRIP Early Access
Demigan
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:43 am

Current patch feedback

Postby Demigan » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:23 pm

So I played a few games to see how far you guys have gotten, and from what I've seen there's a lot of progress!

First things first: I tested all tracks in reverse and one in mirror. The Industrial and pipeline tracks (don't know the name) are wonderful, and the dev that handled the pipeline map at the beginning of reverse mode did an awesome job. Those are exactly the kind of things that Grip could be known for: The duality of the vehicles and the track layouts build to get the most out of it.
The night map wasn't as well worked out in reverse. I immediately tried one of the more obvious shortcuts that's marked with a powerup. It looked like it wasn't a shortcut I was supposed to take in reverse but I thought what the hell. Only it took me a while to figure out there was a freaking invisible bubble blocking the tunnel entrance, causing some scenes with me suspended in the air at the top of the bubble trying to drive farther but getting nowhere. The map seems extremely straightforwards without any chance of deviation from the track or much variation while driving in reverse, so it could definitely get some attention in the reverse department.

Mirror mode works very well. And the inclusion of Reverse so far implemented seems worthwhile. I do have to note that large parts of the pipeline map are almost the same no matter which way you drive through them, meaning there's some uniqueness lost and there's less reason to do it in reverse (aside from the fact that it also shows the best example of why you SHOULD take it in reverse at the beginning of the track).

Second: The Dreadnaught. It drives pretty well, but as Dominator I came to a horrid discovery: I couldn't do a single thing against it. I did the PIT maneuver half a dozen times one them but I couldn't even budge them. They drove on seemingly without even noticing me trying to ram them off the road! I also had a lot of instances where they probably rammed me and I either got a massive speed boost or rammed through me as if I was tissue paper. I understand the Dreadnaughts strength, but this seems a tad too much. The only way I could have any effect on them was by going at least twice as fast before ramming them.

Third: Vehicle movement. I think there's a general improvement in the way they handle. There seems to be less floatiness around and more control when you are rammed. What I did notice though was that there seems to be an inverse law on control of your vehicle. The faster you go, the more control you have. That's of course part of the Rollcage experience, but it mostly counts for the downwards force and not for taking turns and such I would think?
When I get rammed I try not to slow down, as the sideways speed ALSO seems to improve my general handling, even if I'm barreling down the track in reverse after I've been shot by a missle or drove over a mine. Standing still? It's a nightmare. I'm in an almost non-stop slip, standing still facing a wall is a detriment since you don't have the grip to go up, but also lack any acceleration, it's even worse when you are in a tight tunnel and have to turn around. In the RC games a lack of speed caused your vehicle to fall off and flip over, in Grip it doesn't and you are stuck there, forced to try and back up which is also at snails pace as for some reason going down does not improve your acceleration much.

Fourth: Weapons. I had the feeling there was an improvement in the weapons department. Although I also had the feeling that every other powerup spawned a mine, the tracks were littered with them and I often saw 2 to 3 mines put down just after passing 3 empty powerups, not the best situation.
Missiles seem to have been improved, or at least easier to fire with the new handling. However I would like the reticule to go blue or something as long as the missile is in flight. Right now every time I fire a missile the reticule on my enemy starts blinking, and in the first few seconds after firing I'm not certain if my missile locked or the lock was broken just as I fired.
When I'm talking about weapons. The icons for the leader missile and standard missile could be a bit more fleshed out. I'm not sure if a new player even knows what the leader missile does if he fires it, and the icons should instantly give the player an idea what his weapon is going to do to the enemy. What's wrong with a huge 1 for instance?

Fifth and last (finally): There's some damn good music added this patch.

aardvark
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:48 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Current patch feedback

Postby aardvark » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:16 am

Might want to add the version number into that "current patch", since when the next update comes along your topic will still be claiming "current" when it will in actuality then be "old".
Just a thought. :)

User avatar
Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer
Posts: 2175
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Current patch feedback

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:19 pm

Demigan wrote:So I played a few games to see how far you guys have gotten, and from what I've seen there's a lot of progress!

First things first: I tested all tracks in reverse and one in mirror. The Industrial and pipeline tracks (don't know the name) are wonderful, and the dev that handled the pipeline map at the beginning of reverse mode did an awesome job. Those are exactly the kind of things that Grip could be known for: The duality of the vehicles and the track layouts build to get the most out of it.
The night map wasn't as well worked out in reverse. I immediately tried one of the more obvious shortcuts that's marked with a powerup. It looked like it wasn't a shortcut I was supposed to take in reverse but I thought what the hell. Only it took me a while to figure out there was a freaking invisible bubble blocking the tunnel entrance, causing some scenes with me suspended in the air at the top of the bubble trying to drive farther but getting nowhere. The map seems extremely straightforwards without any chance of deviation from the track or much variation while driving in reverse, so it could definitely get some attention in the reverse department.

Transport is my map, but I'm surprised you're having such a good time with that first wall to ceiling ride, as myself and many others have been having trouble.
Alhatra needs quite a bit of work with the reverse, I agree.

Demigan wrote:Second: The Dreadnaught. It drives pretty well, but as Dominator I came to a horrid discovery: I couldn't do a single thing against it. I did the PIT maneuver half a dozen times one them but I couldn't even budge them. They drove on seemingly without even noticing me trying to ram them off the road! I also had a lot of instances where they probably rammed me and I either got a massive speed boost or rammed through me as if I was tissue paper. I understand the Dreadnaughts strength, but this seems a tad too much. The only way I could have any effect on them was by going at least twice as fast before ramming them.

This is surprising as well, since most people find the tank doesn't plow through cars enough. I find the same. Anyway, it's very early, so things will change.

Demigan wrote:Third: Vehicle movement. I think there's a general improvement in the way they handle. There seems to be less floatiness around and more control when you are rammed. What I did notice though was that there seems to be an inverse law on control of your vehicle. The faster you go, the more control you have. That's of course part of the Rollcage experience, but it mostly counts for the downwards force and not for taking turns and such I would think?
When I get rammed I try not to slow down, as the sideways speed ALSO seems to improve my general handling, even if I'm barreling down the track in reverse after I've been shot by a missle or drove over a mine. Standing still? It's a nightmare. I'm in an almost non-stop slip, standing still facing a wall is a detriment since you don't have the grip to go up, but also lack any acceleration, it's even worse when you are in a tight tunnel and have to turn around. In the RC games a lack of speed caused your vehicle to fall off and flip over, in Grip it doesn't and you are stuck there, forced to try and back up which is also at snails pace as for some reason going down does not improve your acceleration much.

If you're talking about tunnels mostly, it's been an issue since the beginning that the car doesn't gain traction in them. As for slipping too much when at low speeds. Could be possible, but I see poor behavior mostly in tunnels

Demigan wrote:What's wrong with a huge 1 for instance?
It's already a huge "1" :P Yeah, icons will change

Demigan wrote:Fifth and last (finally): There's some damn good music added this patch.
:D
Game Director
GRIP

User avatar
Ryu Makkuro
Posts: 390
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:46 pm
Location: Poland
Contact:

Re: Current patch feedback

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:33 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Transport is my map, but I'm surprised you're having such a good time with that first wall to ceiling ride, as myself and many others have been having trouble.

That's a nice bit of insight there :D Also, right now the only real issue with that wall to ceiling is the thing that cannot be spoken. Otherwise if that doesn't happen, it's a pure blast. Though I still think it should connect directly to the tunnel and not just cut abruptly, would keep the flow going more and allow for some interesting maneuvers on the normal version as well. But that may be just me.

PS. Any chance on smoothing the entry and exit of the bridge? That small jump is really annoying since you lose some precious speed there.
Image

twisted
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:45 pm

Re: Current patch feedback

Postby twisted » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:03 am

- The turret starting sound stop too fast, it should decrease slowly or continue until we run out of bullets.
- Would be nice to have the possibility of doing false starts, right now the car is always drifting at the start of a race, there's no possibility of starting race without drifting.

User avatar
Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer
Posts: 2175
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Current patch feedback

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:13 pm

Not sure what you mean by false starts, but I guess you mean you don't like the cars spinning their tires at the start?

As for the Raptor wind up sound, I agree
Game Director
GRIP

twisted
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:45 pm

Re: Current patch feedback

Postby twisted » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:03 pm

I like it, but there should be a way to avoid that by pushing gaz just at the right time or something like that. I reckon having seen some opponents starting way faster than me. If there's a way to do that currently, I don't know how ;)


Return to “GRIP Early Access Feedback”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron