General Physics discussion

Here you can post bug reports, comments, suggestions and other feedback regarding GRIP Early Access
Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

General Physics discussion

Postby Yrch » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:07 pm

I think this deserves it's own thread as they are kind of like important :)

what do you think about the physics?
are they good? bad? noticed something strange?

my impressions:
i'm not entirely conviced yet.
for me personaly the vehicles lack "weight".
when driving on uneven terrain or landing after a jump i dont fell like im siting in a big hunk of metal powerd by whatever space-magic.
i cant really grasp why but i hope i either find out or it "clicks" for me

dont get me wrong, the game doesnt feel bad at all, for me personally something is not "right there" at the moment.

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: General Physics discussion

Postby wantfastcars » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:16 pm

I agree - the vehicles feel too light. I really like the no/minimal air control thing, the problem is even the tiniest bump sends you airborne, and if you land at anything but dead straight you skid and slide around. Either the weight of the vehicles needs to increase or the, well, grippiness needs to increase so you don't get air over every tiny little hill and rise and go skidding off into oblivion.

Other than that I'm loving it so far. It's gorgeous and, most importantly, feels like Rollcage.
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:22 pm

Yrch wrote:dont get me wrong, the game doesnt feel bad at all, for me personally something is not "right there" at the moment.

Long ways to go before this happens. Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta) so the physics would be pretty much finalized by then

The main problem is how physX handle's collisions. Rob will be diving pretty deep into fixing things down the line. Not going to be easy

we think this is a very good base, though :)
Game Director
GRIP

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:24 pm

Chris_CE wrote:
Yrch wrote:dont get me wrong, the game doesnt feel bad at all, for me personally something is not "right there" at the moment.

Long ways to go before this happens. Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta) so the physics would be pretty much finalized by then

The main problem is how physX handle's collisions. Rob will be diving pretty deep into fixing things down the line. Not going to be easy

we think this is a very good base, though :)

Oh yeah, the actual driving feels great. Please don't interpret this as just grumbling and complaining. The actual driving feels great, it's just - as you mentioned in another thread - friction ain't quite right just yet, leading to some funkiness involving getting air/landing.

It's a fantastic base and I'm going to be playing a lot of this for sure.
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:25 pm

I think at such high speeds you gain cinetic energy that justifies those bumps/jumps. Perhaps more... grip ^^... I personally blame a too weak feeling of acceleration (not speed), where in RC1 you had the camera that moved behind, giving you the feeling to be struck in your seat like in an accelerating car/jet

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:27 pm

^ what wantfastcars says :)
overall the game feels good and polished in terms of physics, feedback and specially controls.
but thats what we are here for, helping you guys turing it from a rough diamond into a full fledged one ;)

RuskiTalib3003
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby RuskiTalib3003 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:30 pm

I personally think that cars in GRIP fell too heavy, making them do 180 very often leading to a lot of resets and jumping like crazy on every rock. After playing for a while I've came back to RS2 and i feel like cars in there are made out of candy floss or something...

Polar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Polar » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:32 pm

I've noticed that if you land while not accelerating you won't slide around so easily. Maybe that has something to do with the slides.
Yrch wrote:for me personaly the vehicles lack "weight".

wantfastcars wrote:I agree - the vehicles feel too light.

But I do have to Agree with @Yrch and @wantfastcars, it happens way too often and the vehicles feel lightweight when losing control over a small bump

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:19 pm

Yep, we appreciate all the feedback. Just gets hard to hear specific things over and over, but that's not your guys' fault. Thanks for taking the time to write ;)

RuskiTalib3003 wrote:I personally think that cars in GRIP fell too heavy, making them do 180 very often leading to a lot of resets and jumping like crazy on every rock. After playing for a while I've came back to RS2 and i feel like cars in there are made out of candy floss or something...

The 180 thing is a known bug and needs to be tackled soon, as it is very jarring.

lol, candy floss
Game Director
GRIP

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:24 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Yep, we appreciate all the feedback. Just gets hard to hear specific things over and over, but that's not your guys' fault. Thanks for taking the time to write ;)

Well hey, think of it this way - one big thing isn't as bad as a million little things, and you've got a fantastic start. Very pleased with my experience so far, and looking forward to what you've got in store :D

Nivlac95

Postby Nivlac95 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:51 pm

I feel the same way.
I think it would feel a lot better if the car sticks a little more to the ground, so that you can keep the controle even in bumby environment. Especially if you are going fast.

die9991

Postby die9991 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:14 pm

One thing that I would like is the ability to slip, I mean I felt as though the cars had a little too much GRIP(Bad pun inbound). Nevertheless its a really good base right now and one that seems extremely familiar.

sKell-10
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Postby sKell-10 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:24 pm

One thing that started to bug me after a while was landing jumps at a relatively high speed. Sometimes I would bounce straight up in the air or do a back flip and land in a random direction. I don't mind bouncing a bit but i think the physics go a bit too out of control in that regard. Other than that I think you guys have laid a really solid foundation to work upon. Keep it up :D

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:08 am

Nivlac95 wrote:I feel the same way.
I think it would feel a lot better if the car sticks a little more to the ground, so that you can keep the controle even in bumby environment. Especially if you are going fast.

It's actually the collision which is the problem, not the friction. The way PhysX is handling some collisions is not ideal, so we'll need to look into fixing that

as die9991 said, the cars actually have too much grip

sKell-10 wrote:One thing that started to bug me after a while was landing jumps at a relatively high speed. Sometimes I would bounce straight up in the air or do a back flip and land in a random direction. I don't mind bouncing a bit but i think the physics go a bit too out of control in that regard. Other than that I think you guys have laid a really solid foundation to work upon. Keep it up :D

Yep, again a collision issue. Working on it
Game Director
GRIP

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:16 am

Chris_CE wrote:
Nivlac95 wrote:I feel the same way.

It's actually the collision which is the problem, not the friction. The way PhysX is handling some collisions is not ideal, so we'll need to look into fixing that

as die9991 said, the cars actually have too much grip

sKell-10 wrote:One thing that started to bug me after a while was landing jumps at a relatively high speed. Sometimes I would bounce straight up in the air or do a back flip and land in a random direction. I don't mind bouncing a bit but i think the physics go a bit too out of control in that regard. Other than that I think you guys have laid a really solid foundation to work upon. Keep it up :D

Yep, again a collision issue. Working on it

Well whatever you did for today's patch was a huge step in the right direction. The weird flips and spins still happen but they're dramatically less common and a lot easier to recover from.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:40 am

new collision for the car ;)
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “GRIP Early Access Feedback”