[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 594: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 650: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
The EMP - GRIP Video Game Forum

The EMP

Here you can post bug reports, comments, suggestions and other feedback regarding GRIP Early Access
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carnage
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

The EMP

Postby Carnage » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:54 am

So I've started playing again in the last 2 weeks after some months off, And I gotta say, the EMP weapon has got to be the most irritating part of the game at the moment (which is good because frankly I think the game is in a really good place in the way of physics and FX and just needs more maps are race types etc. so I'm happy with the games progress so far), every time I get hit by the EMP I roll my eyes, it completely ruins the flow of the race when you have to sit there for 3-5 seconds because you were hit mid-crash, or are just rolling along waiting for your power to turn back on.

My preference would be to remove this weapon, because it mostly serves to just be annoying. but I'm guessing that maybe altering it would be better, it's way too large, a target or even cone-shaped wave out the front of the car might be good. But as it stands ATM, I really dislike the EMP being in-game.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: The EMP

Postby Queadah » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:18 pm

The EMP is the only sure shot to compress the pack (slowing the 1st players back in the fray). I think it works. Plus you don't insta stop but lose speed gradually (and steering remains).

No removal of the EMP plz, new players will thank you for this. Perhaps a lvl3 shield could prevent you from the EMP effect why not, but the EMP should remain whatever the case.

VooDooQky

Postby VooDooQky » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:40 pm

LvL 3 Shield? W0T mate? No plz, the runner leaders already have an outrageous advantage atm, you want them to have even more advantage by getting them indestructible with that?

Oh, and EMP is useful. Sure, it's a bit annoying when you constantly get hit by it like 3 times in 1 minute, but hey, it's just powerup balancing issue, which will be solved later. What I don't know is, why are the car getting pushed over a bit when you get hit with that. Is it intentional, to throw you off course?

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:58 am

I'm against EMP removal as well. The only problem right now is that it tightens the pack while the leader gets away when he's far enough.

There was an internal discussion some weeks ago (can't remember which one of you guys proposed it), about an alternate solution where the EMP gets fired off a satellite to strike the leader, and then it propagates to the other players.

Check out the for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:07 am

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:37 am

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:11 am

The timewarp also altered the handling of the car. It just felt like slowmo not like driving slow. Cornering was still as hard. It also didn't take away all of the cars power.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:12 pm

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the

ApexAzimuth

Postby ApexAzimuth » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:22 pm

I'm really mixed about the EMP and I find myself agreeing a little with everyone above.

The EMP definitely tightens the pack, and that's useful from a balance perspective, but it's really annoying

It can be utterly crippling to a minor inconvenience. Slowdown right before a sharp turn when you needed to back off throttle anyway? Minor slowdown.
Hit by EMP right after punching a turbo in a boost-laden straightaway? Crippling.

I hate the time warp in rollcage because I think having your own personal warp drive is just dumb, but it's admittedly more balanced.

The EMP in its current state is cooler as an idea, but imbalanced and annoying in its current state.

My suggestion, tone it down. Reduce the effect duration by 50% and drop the "bounce" effect. Make it completely ineffective against opponents behind you.

It's a good weapon for the game but It's just too much. I'd like to see how it plays with a good nerfbat to the face, then re-evaluate.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:00 am

Game Director

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:46 am

I think the EMP is in a good spot in therms of how strong it usually is (its average effectiveness if you want to call it like that).
It is just that it effectiveness goes from one extreme to the other and it doesn't have that "Oh sh*t, I got hit!" feeling the other items have.
I think the best way to solve this is to compress its effect, making it stronger but shorter.

Something like the wheels locking up because the EMP disabled the magnetic suspension and the wheel hubs touch the cars body.
Just imagine a lot of sparks spraying out of them because of the high friction. :mrgreen:

It could handle like suddenly using the handbrake (the car is still steerable at high speeds but slides around when it slowed down quite a bit).
This would require a reaction form the player to angle his car to not slide off the track and reduce the time the EMPs effect needs to be active, because it slows down faster, so it would achieve the same thing in less time. Additionally it could be more satisfying to the players getting hit because they can reduce the disadvantage they will suffer from getting hit by the EMP by angling their car properly before they get hit.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:21 am

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:33 am

Tathendal

Postby Tathendal » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:11 pm

I think the only problem with EMP is that if you get hit by it way too often is annoying. But so what, getting hit in the butt with missile is annoying too? Getting a good start and not getting shield for 5 pick-ups and getting destroyed by missiles and assassins, that is annoying. I don't think the EMP is OP right now, just a balancing issue to make it so that it doesn't happen TOO often (like multiple times on each lap during the whole race).

mrjimp
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby mrjimp » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:44 pm

Just gonna add one thing. Getting powered down and just rolling along slower and slower....

......Is boooring.

VooDooQky

Postby VooDooQky » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:45 pm

Tathendal

Postby Tathendal » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:10 am

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:00 am

Return to “GRIP Early Access Feedback”