Sky track

Here you can post bug reports, comments, suggestions and other feedback regarding GRIP Early Access
mrjimp
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Sky track

Postby mrjimp » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:08 pm

This track feels really nice. Over all flow is nice, and i recon with the proper background grafix it will be awesome.

This track really brings up a flaw in your physics engine: Downforce.

While there are 2 ways of creating this, one beeing you create a vacuum under the car to create a "suction force", and the other beeing you shape the body of the car to make the air flowing by to actually push the car down, the ladder is what is beeing used as the former was considered to unreliable as it would give up as soon as your car got to high above the ground for some reason.

Seeing the grip cars actually none seems applicable..??

Any how, its extra anoying in this particular map that you can get bounced of into the air and hence of the edges very easily only from spring/suspension force alone. And while that is beeing done to you, you realise that downforce is not working to your favour anymore, hence the implementation of downforce seem to be the first one (vacuume) mentioned. I guess, you could make cars that has the second one implemented as well?? It would be good if downbforce worked for you all the time, though I see how that would be wierd when exiting a tunnel upside down, and the downforce would actually push you uppward.....

Also the fast respawning feature is nice for this track, _but_ sometimes when you actually have a good trajectory back into the track, you will still respawn as the engine thinks you're out of bounds.

This is sad I think, as great recoveries are always fun.

This said. keep up the cool work guys. ;)

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Re: Sky track

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:40 pm

mrjimp wrote:It would be good if downbforce worked for you all the time

What gives you the impression that it's not working all the time?

The reason the car bounces (seemingly for no reason) has nothing to do with downforce, but rather the body of the car intersecting with the floor, which Rob is looking to improve very soon through some troubleshooting

mrjimp wrote:Also the fast respawning feature is nice for this track, _but_ sometimes when you actually have a good trajectory back into the track, you will still respawn as the engine thinks you're out of bounds.

I've never been respawned automatically on Skytrack unless I fall off the track into the void. Is there a specific spot or spots you see this happen?

Glad you like the track :)
Game Director
GRIP

mrjimp
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby mrjimp » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:48 pm

Hey, sorry for the late answer.

DownForce:
I think the down force aint working because I, for a what one might think is a good reason, bounce of the ceiling (or wall) just because I landed on it, with not that much force, but enough so the shock absorbers, actually bounce me off.

Now the down force should act (in any implementiation) like a suction force, gluing you on to the surface your driving on, meaning the bounce back effect of the wheel springs or shock absorbers should be much lower than it feels like.

Respawning:
It mostly happens on the U pipe like section. If you drive off, but manage to have a good trajectory (Meaning you will hit some track sooner or later, but it might take a while), it still decides to respawn you, and sets you way back.

Not many other sections lets you have a chance of actually getting back on the track if you drive off. :D

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:19 am

Updates to both vehicle physics and skytrack that should help with these issues. New patch very soon, let us know your experience afterwards!
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “GRIP Early Access Feedback”