1.05 first thoughts

Here you can post bug reports, comments, suggestions and other feedback regarding GRIP Early Access
simonc95

1.05 first thoughts

Postby simonc95 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:03 am

Don't know if i'm imagining this but cars feel like they're driving on ice compared to the last patch thing are way to slippery and harder to control. definitely not good, much prefer how cars handled before. leading on from that which collisions feel more consistent hitting a car should not spin you out so easily. again more things i think I notice but not sure if I'm imagining them, or they were even in the previous version but I never noticed: significantly less frame rate than before particularly on industrial. The game appears to have more contrast between the light and the shadows, and the car boost trail kicking out more when changing gear like a race car would.

Things i like:
The new race UI is much better although I must admit I miss the fastest lap. but this is defiantly going in the right direction feels a lot more polished.
The new loading screen feels alot nicer too.
the Hard ai knows what is doing now, perhaps a little too well even, I cant keep up even when hitting perfect laps.

The new track:
obviously this is very early days, and this is just a basic layout / concept. the layut and feel is nice, and i cant wait to see the tunnels with more texture as atm the are very plain. Id perhaps like to see some of the tunnel blockers move / change, either rotating or extending and retracting. or even a mix of both.

overall a step forward with some things and to me a step back in others. but for sure keep up the good work, its all about refining and finding a balance.

edit: just played with weapons on for the first time since the update, love the new icons and rocket lock on although the old lock on was cool too, the assassin seems pretty balanced tbh although it throws a hissy fit when your in a tunnel shortcut on industrial. with weapons on the game feels way more balanced and competitive this patch compared to the last whereas with weapons off it feels way less competitive and more one sided than it did on the last patch. Also Shields still fell like they don't do anything and rockets feel more accurate at long range than they did before but also feel less accurate at short range than they did.

edit 2: wow figure 8 is totally different now so many improvements feels a lot more cognitive now and the addition of some actual shortcuts adds olot to the feel IMO. A

Also cannon find a way to control player 2 in split screen with any of my keyboard keys or ether of my 2 controllers, cant find any documentation so far of ho to get it to work.

having played more in general and reading the comments i feel that the assassin need to be counter-able but only by one power up like the blue shell / boom-box in Mario kart 8. eg dropping a mine at the last sec or firing missiles backwards. it also need to be way way faster it fells lek you can outrun the thing fro a good 2 or 3 mins if your far enough ahead and the incessant beeping whilst its trying to get you is annoying after like 30 secs.
Last edited by simonc95 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
i7 4790k @4.7 Ghz
GTX 970
Vengence pro 16GB @ 1866 Mhz
Asus TUF Sabertooth Z97
NZXT H630

Zyvoxid
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Re: 1.05 first thoughts

Postby Zyvoxid » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:12 am

I feel like the map flow has improved. No more small bumps that throw you off balance. Figure 8 has improved the most imo it's much better now with new buildings and routes. The HUD is great, feels a lot more professional now. :D The new weapon are really nice!! I like the sound of the rockets flying over my head. It's like a blue shell in merio kart :twisted:
Music: great, I like the new tracks, and how the music starts when the race actually begins!!

Like Simon said the car handling is weird. The cars are too slippery, and your car gets out of control too fast. I also feel like the cars still aren't accelerating fast enough.
I'm combat ready!

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:33 am

simonc95 wrote:the Hard ai knows what is doing now, perhaps a little too well even, I cant keep up even when hitting perfect laps.

I am not sure why, but when you're the leader it seems to be easier than when you're trying to catch the leader.

All my races on Industrial are usually like that: either I catch up everyone in the first lap, and then i stay first during the entire race. Or I can't catch them up, and I have to wait 3-4 laps before being first (doing perfect laps, taking shortcuts and such in the process).

I'm really not sure why I'm struggling so much to catch up with the leader everytime.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Admeet75
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Admeet75 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:44 am

I felt like I had to be very careful at high speeds as it felt like the car would go into a tank slapper (back end goes out on straight, hard to correct).

The AI is definitely more challenging now and they can keep up with you.

The one aspect of 1.05 that is bugging me is the new Assassin weapon. I know that the rarity of picking up the weapon is dependant on what place you are in the race as in 1st is not at all to 10th with sometimes. However I was racing in 2nd and I was not picking up one at all while the others at the back were picking them up left, right and center. And two missiles in one pickup seems a bit overkill. Its enough to worry about one taking out your back shield but another that takes you out completely after the first is a bit disheartening, especially with the back markers launching them nearly all the time. Perhaps limit the pickup to one missile, but with increased power, and change the chance of picking it up to sometimes or lower for all places from 2nd to 10th.

In terms of the new track, yes it is very much in an experimental stage, but it is an interesting concept. While the tunnel obstacles are interesting and, for now, a moderate challenge, there definitely needs to be more action within the tunnels. It is also obvious that AI pathing around the obstacles is nearly non-existant.

But overall however, 1.05 is very much a good step forward. Very good work to the Devs.
Nope.avi

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:51 am

potterman28wxcv wrote:
simonc95 wrote:the Hard ai knows what is doing now, perhaps a little too well even, I cant keep up even when hitting perfect laps.

I am not sure why, but when you're the leader it seems to be easier than when you're trying to catch the leader.

All my races on Industrial are usually like that: either I catch up everyone in the first lap, and then i stay first during the entire race. Or I can't catch them up, and I have to wait 3-4 laps before being first (doing perfect laps, taking shortcuts and such in the process).

I'm really not sure why I'm struggling so much to catch up with the leader everytime.

The catchup is super-aggressive if you get into 1st-3rd, I've noticed. 4th and below it doesn't seem too bad. 7th/8th and the car likes to do 430km/h lol. I find it more problematic to get into 3rd and stay there than I do 1st but at least now I'm not running 8 laps where nothing happens because all the AI are stuck. :P

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Raion
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Raion » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:57 pm

Man, the Assassin spam is real.

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:47 pm

Did you turn the gravity up? The cars feel a lot heavier now, they don't bounce around as much when you hit things.

Also I have to both agree and disagree with the traction thing - the car feels a lot gripper - you can almost make the final turn of Yuri Industrial going flat-out through the lower tunnel now (nearly 500km/h) whereas before you needed to be going much slower, closer to 400km/h to make that turn well. On the flipside, though, the second you start to lose traction, it's gone. There's no sliding at all anymore, you either have complete control or no traction whatsoever.

I like the new Assassin missile, but the item scaling/distribution/whatever is way off. It's not uncommon to get hit by two or more in a very short time-frame, all from the guy way in the back.

Normal missiles are actually worth a damn now, too, which is very nice.

The changes to Figu- erm, Alhatra Wastes are fantastic. The course feels much, much nicer now.

Overall I'd consider this a good patch. I honestly feel like the vehicles handle better now - while you're in control, at least - and the other changes ot the items, tracks, HUD, etc, are all very good.
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

nakano

Postby nakano » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:49 pm

Some first thoughts.
* I would move the position information back to upper right instead of having it on middle.
* I prefer the older weapon image style much cleaner and stylized.
* My favorite part of Alhatra Wastes was sadly altered where the car is able to grip the ceiling easily.
* I like the new rocket type and having split screen support this early!

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:38 pm

nakano wrote: * I prefer the older weapon image style much cleaner and stylized.

I'm gonna second this, as well. The new icons are too... smooth? I'm not really sure the word I'm looking for, but the old icons looked much more in-line with the image and theme of Grip that it seems you're trying to promote.
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:57 pm

First thoughts. (Forgive me if they seem a little scattered, I'm just putting stuff down as I think of what I want/need to say).

Tracks:

Industrial
* Looks super-pretty now, in terms of content/scenery.
* I think there may be too many power-ups in the 'shortcut' (left-most tunnel at the start of the lap). I go that route all the time now not because it's faster (it's not) but because it's safer, so maybe you need to re-jig the 'normal' route a little bit to make it more viable.
* The drop from the left path into the right path at the start is wonky, the breakable wall has too much physical impact on the car and flips it over. This goes for all the other breakable pillars and I end up just trying to avoid hitting things because they're unpredictable.
* The AI is still getting stuck in a few places (notably the first big jump down the hill and the split into the tunnel/canyon near the end of the lap when they don't make the shortcut's jump). I'll make a bug thread about it later.
* The tunnel shortcut at the end of the lap (after the big jump) isn't connected geometrically to the rocks before it (will post in a bug thread unless someone nabs a screenshot first).
* The new metal frames/overhangs on the map don't have collision (I assume you intend them to collapse if hit?).

Wastes
* Seriously, is this the same track? It looks and plays so differently now, and 99% for the better. Much smoother and enjoyable (and visually appealing)
* The car still bounces off the ceiling of the building and tends to land butt-first due to how the downforce works, maybe the building needs to be a bit longer to promote it as a more memorable set-piece than a little 'jump - bonk - land on ground with a pickup'?
* You should add some thunderstorm weather effects to this track (rain, blowing wind, lightning), it would look freaking amazing given its aesthetics right now. :P

Liddo Test Track
* Haven't played much of it but as a concept it has promise. Are the barriers/doors going to be moving set-pieces or are they intended to be static?
* Ai pathing needs lots of work (but y'all know this)
* The only time I've hit a barrier I've clipped into it and got stuck, just so you know.
* The textures for the outdoor areas need a lot of work, the route has promise (especially once you add scenery and hazards/jumps) but as it is the textures look weird and grainy, kinda almost PS2-ish. They seem to repeat too much over the grassy areas :/ But that's obviously for future work.
* The collision on the tops of the tunnels is weird, as people have said. The bumps have no collision but there are solid things on the edges of the tunnels that knock the car dead if you try to drive out ramping instead of driving down onto the ground first. Should change that.
* It's hard to tell given the early state of the track as to whether the tunnels are too wide or the corners aren't steep-enough. It doesn't help that the AI can't finish the track either.
* I love that big jump at the end, try not to change it unless it's to make it better (more airtime, more stable landing etc). Since you've (mostly) worked out the kinks in landing collision bugs, big jumps like that are a great set-piece.

Misc/Gameplay
* Car handling feels a bit strange and 50/50 right now. As other people have said, provided you're in control the car feels great, it's grippy and yet it skids if you steer hard and it feels good. However, landing awkwardly feels impossible to recover from, worse than before (countersteering isn't working at all basically). I know this is a big WIP and you're aware of that (and good work on it so far btw) but right now the cars feel like they're either 100% on rails or 100% uncontrollable freight train depending on whether you hit something in an unexpected way or not.
* A few of the AI are cheating off the line. Don't tell me I'm lying. If I start first there is no way I should get passed by two of them before the little corner in the tunnel (and then spun). :P
* Saying that, getting up to speed feels really odd right now. Going from 0-200 km/h the car seems to stall, but as soon as it hits 200km/h it rockets. Is this because you're trying to mitigate the unpredictable handling of the car? Just something I noticed.
* I can't beat the AI in a fist fight. :P Amazing job in fixing car-to-car and car-to-environment collisions, now I don't just drive through everything but dear-god is close-combat driving scary.
* Assassin missiles are scary. I'm not going to quite say 'spam' (come on this isn't Rollcage) but I just did an 8-lap race with High-set power-ups. Double-rocket my way into first, three laps later I get four assassins (two sets of two). First set misses because I juke them on a shortcut. Second set rear-ends me straight forwards (first one) then the second one catches me at the end of the canyon route and sends me flying.
Two laps later I catch back up to first as he gets blasted by an assassin, I double-rocket him, he goes flying. Instantly, two assassins on my ass. First hits me and spins me around. Second blasts me over the finish gate.
I'm grinning from ear-to-ear because of how insane it was (reminds me of the multiplayer Rollcage gamea). Those missiles are EVIL and it's glorious. I'm sure that the percentage of them will go down as other weapons are added to the game (and we get that driller missile countermeasure because right now there isn't much outside of a shield that can stop them), but they've made being in first as scary as being in 2nd place. Good job ;)

* Jester (the 'hidden' purple/green car) has weird-coloured wheels compared to every other car. Just letting you know :P
* Jester is also the world's biggest motherfucker of an AI and I haven't hated being spun out/trolled by a bot since Ajay on Blur (addendum: f*ck you Ajay, srs). I swear, EVERY time I get rammed/spun/cockblocked, it's him. IT'S ALWAYS HIM. xD
* I'm a bit 50/50 as far as the nerf to air control is. I think it's for the best, as it basically only allows us to stop rotation now as opposed to do silly rolls in the air.
* Car still bounces a bit on landing but I feel like you softened the suspension up a bit because it's not bouncing about as much as it used to. :)
* Machine gun also feels rather useless now. It's very rare that me using it on AI makes them swerve/crash, or maybe I'm just using it wrong? The powered-up one knocks them around though, so maybe it's intentional and I'm supposed to use it to hit cars approaching jumps to spin them out?

I must sound like a bit of a dick but I wouldn't spill out my thoughts like that if I didn't care about the game. 1.0.4 to 1.0.5 is a massive change, the AI are infuriatingly competitive now on Industrial (with some minor issues still), Wastes looks beautiful and the races are no longer easily won with the changes to AI and weapons. It just feels so much -more- now, and it's not even February yet. :D

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:36 pm

wantfastcars wrote:I like the new Assassin missile, but the item scaling/distribution/whatever is way off. It's not uncommon to get hit by two or more in a very short time-frame, all from the guy way in the back.

I dont think so. To me it looks like the problem is that Assassins can not be counterd.

I love the new handling of the car by the way. It can be very challenging but is predictable 99% of the time. Give that you don't leadfoot it it is also very possible to recover just resulting in a loss of speed. Don't steer while landing you usually don't do that in a car either
Last edited by TheOnLY on Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:39 pm

TheOnLY wrote:
wantfastcars wrote:I like the new Assassin missile, but the item scaling/distribution/whatever is way off. It's not uncommon to get hit by two or more in a very short time-frame, all from the guy way in the back.

I dont think so. To me it looks like the problem is that Assassins can not be counterd.

I'm fine with having no real defense for it aside from luck (happening to have a shield)/skill (juking it into a wall). It's a Blue Shell. The problem is that you can get hit by so many because Assassins are the only items last place is picking up. I got hit by four in the span of ten seconds on Alhatra earlier. That just ain't right.

NecroWolf12
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby NecroWolf12 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:24 pm

My biggest gripe is how crashing into the back of a vehicle slows you down and spins you. It can feel like getting punished because someone else got hit. Haven't had a bunch of time to get to grips (wa-hey!) with the rest of the stuff, but the new HUD looks good. I also must say I kinda prefer the old weapon art, but it's not a game breaker.

I also haven't tried the split screen yet. Can anyone who has say how it affects performance?

Finally, the patch notes mention that the Assassin can be upgraded. How does one go about doing this and does it apply to other pickups?
"Hollow the leader"

HikikomoriGamer
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby HikikomoriGamer » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:39 pm

Man this game is getting good! :)

NecroWolf12 wrote:My biggest gripe is how crashing into the back of a vehicle slows you down and spins you. It can feel like getting punished because someone else got hit.

Mine too! Well don't need to remove this feature you can use it for when we get a tank car that way a tank can make a light car spin or something like that but still annoying as hell hahahaha

Another problems I noticed:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... B2B3D1D14/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... EDB0BF785/

loved dat UI map! really this is a well made Early Access game ppl are going to love it keep up the good work guys!!!!
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M-D3H
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
RAM: 8GB

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:40 pm

Just curious - which speed are you racing on ? Slow, Normal, Fast ?
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

My first thoughts about 1.05

Postby WROB3L » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:46 pm

First of all. BOTS ARE STUPEEED!
http://imgur.com/JDShzSX

ok. so... This update is FLUFFYBUNS (YES CHRIS I WROTE THAT >:c) awesome.
My favourite part about it is probably that line that shows where your opponents are (Stage 2 style YYEEBOOIII)
Split screen works perfectly, and hud looks reallly good (Grip finally looks like a proper racer)
And i Kek`d when i saw the name Erazer (Edgy as Fluffycat)
Overall everything looks great, Homer looks Gorgeous (Dat blue explosion doe :3) and its sound when its flying is so eargasmic, also, i like that it spins when its flying (props for details guys!)
New track is cool too but it`s not perfect. (ofc i know that its the first version of it) Still, its enjoyable.

But, now the bad news.
BOTS ARE STUPEEEEED as i said before.
Cars still really likes 180s (goddamn skaters! >:C)
AND THE WORST PART.
YAW ROTATION! GUYS PLZ, IMPROVE IT OR DELETE IT! its really annoying ok? dont judge me :C

TL:DR
Best update for now, but still got a lot of problems :3
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:04 pm

potterman28wxcv wrote:

High engine power.

I also realized I have Pickup Power on High, which could be affecting it

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:12 pm

wantfastcars wrote:
potterman28wxcv wrote:

High engine power.

I also realized I have Pickup Power on High, which could be affecting it

Yeah, basically with it you have two times more Assassin. Personally I play with Pickup Power on Low, I find it better

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:53 pm

like wantfastcars said, the cars feel more grippy with a way tighter cornering.
maybe its because i didnt play for a while but controls seem more direct and twitchy (not in a bad way) compared to 1.0.4.
overall game feels more smooth and fleshed out, better flow overall.

what bugs me is the camera turn when driving onto a ceiling at Yuri Industrials. it snaps very fast and i loose orientation for a few seconds.

overall nice fist impression but i kinda fear a lot of people will QQ about the Assassine when the EA goes live next week :/

bikkebakke

Postby bikkebakke » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:02 pm

After trying it myself I can mostly come with the same criticism as others (and some good pointers as well), though I've only tried the tracks about 1-2 times since I need to go to sleep now.

Liddo 5 test track:

* The track should need some more visual guidelines as to where you're allowed to go. At the start I thought you could take a shortcut to the right up in the mountains, it looks like a pathway there. It kinda threw me off. Don't get me wrong though, I like the open-ness of the map, it just needs some visual guidelines to keep you on the track.

* It really got some AI pathing troubles :P literally every bot got stuck in the tunnels. If that's because the obstacles isn't registered (incomplete pathfinder build for the track) for the bots or something I don't know. I just know that they get stuck completely.

* I really like having a green and lush track, while I do love the aesthetics of the other tracks it's quite nice to get to play on a colourful and sunny one (reminds me a bit of Harpoon Islands from Rollcage).

* The bumbs in the tunnel ceiling have no physics, though I guess the track is called test track for a reason.

* I like the design of the track overall but it certainly needs improvement.

Industrial:

* I still have problem with the left route when starting, there's a wall in the middle of the pathway when entering the cave that will completely mess you up if you hit it (and I kinda always hit it if I'm the first guy there).

* I like many of the changes, most of them have made the track more streamlined.

Wastes:

* THANKS FOR GETTING RID OF THE RAISED MIDDLE PART ON THE BRIDGE!

* AI speeds up real fast at the beginning of the track and bounces all over the bridge, so that's not really good.

* It's really good looking now and I really love the long tunnel shortcut you can take (it feels like you're going suuuperfast when in it ^^)

General stuff:

* I really think there should be a limit to the assassin missiles :P I had like 3-5 of them following me when I played on industrial.

* I really dislike the "bouncy" physics car gets when they are close to each other (this isn't really 1.05 thoughts, I just dislike it so I'll add it here as well). At the start of the races I usually try to stay clear of them as much as I can because the only thing that will happen is that I will get a bounce from the back and get too much speed and ram something, or I'll drive up into someones ass and get bounced so I slow down, or I'll just get bounced to the side a bit (and get slowed down).

* I like that the cars feel a bit heavier now, but the cars grip is still weird imo. Getting like 0.5 seconds of air can really screw up everything and throw your car all over the track.

That's all I can think of now.

Return to “GRIP Early Access Feedback”