Suggestions for improvement

Here you can post bug reports, comments, suggestions and other feedback regarding GRIP Early Access
AsssMaster3000

Suggestions for improvement

Postby AsssMaster3000 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:04 am

Having played through a few patches, I'm really loving this game. This is the only racer I've played where I've audibly 'woo'd' during gameplay. The potential for a balls-to-the-wall arcade racer is huge!

But after all the early access playing I've done, here are a few thoughts for improving the game.
  • Give the cars some weight. The moment a car is in the air, it becomes super floaty and feels weird
  • Speaking of air, please make the cars that launch off jumps easier to control when they land. Right now unless you land square with the track, your car will turn weird and takes precious seconds to align itself
  • Raise invisible walls along the outskirts of a track. Too many times a mine has blown me to the sidelines where I'm forced to restart
  • Or, 'teleport' the car back to the center of the track with ala Mairo Kart. Kooopa optional
  • Update controls so a gamepad can resume the game once paused
  • Give the ability to shoot misiles backwards. The player would have to be looking behind for a few seconds to 'target' the misile
  • If locked on by a misile, activating the speed boost at the right moment will allow you to avoid being hit the misile
  • More environment destructables would be cool too

That's all I can think of for now! Keep up the great work!

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Suggestions for improvement

Postby KazzyMac » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:05 pm

AsssMaster3000 wrote:[*] Raise invisible walls along the outskirts of a track. Too many times a mine has blown me to the sidelines where I'm forced to restart
[*] Or, 'teleport' the car back to the center of the track with ala Mairo Kart. Kooopa optional

The track boundaries are a WIP (the devs are working on deciding whether being thrown off-track should be punishing or not).

But either way the game does have a reset button (hold A on xbox controllers, I don't know the keyboard shortcut). Yes, we know, it's not very well-documented. The devs are aware of it ;)

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:34 pm

KazzyMac wrote:Yes, we know, it's not very well-documented. The devs are aware of it ;)

Well, it is clearly written in the controls just as every other button., but seemingly the average player can not read nor think that something this basic might have already been implemented. (rly, almost every racing game ever has this) :x

AsssMaster3000 wrote:If locked on by a misile, activating the speed boost at the right moment will allow you to avoid being hit the misile

I hope there will be more small counters like this , like EMPing a missile. They should be hard to pull off though.
Small things like this are what make a good game, as they make it "easy to learn hard to master" and make getting hit by something less frustrating since it was not a guaranteed hit but you only failed to block it.

AsssMaster3000 wrote:More environment destructables would be cool too

I agree. Right now the tracks feel very static, but i hope/think this might also be because they are either located in the desert or are very early in development

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:02 pm

TheOnLY wrote:
KazzyMac wrote:Yes, we know, it's not very well-documented. The devs are aware of it ;)

Well, it is clearly written in the controls just as every other button., but seemingly the average player can not read nor think that something this basic might have already been implemented. (rly, almost every racing game ever has this) :x

I actually personally hope that the car reset gets removed (or restricted to being OoB) because I feel it's kinda cheap as hell (inb4 'resetting in 1st to dodge missiles' becomes a thing) but I can understand that it's included because the car has a habit of getting stuck.

But that's just me.

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Roq
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Roq » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:01 am

KazzyMac wrote:I actually personally hope that the car reset gets removed (or restricted to being OoB) because I feel it's kinda cheap as hell (inb4 'resetting in 1st to dodge missiles' becomes a thing) but I can understand that it's included because the car has a habit of getting stuck.

But that's just me.

I agree. The reset needs more penalty for use. Either limit it to a few uses per race, or make it more punishing for each successive use of it - reset the car further back down the track each time you use it. Out of bounds reset should be normal and free maybe.

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:07 am

It could be restricted to low speeds (sub 200km/h or even lower) and have a delay.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:41 am

Most of your suggestions are being worked on ;)

I do like the idea of evasive maneuvers, like using boost to evade, or even dropping a mine when a missile is right behind you to get it to explode prematurely.
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “GRIP Early Access Feedback”