What is the vehicle behavior that most bothers you (collisions, handling, etc)? Please show us in this thread!

Here you can post bug reports, comments, suggestions and other feedback regarding GRIP Early Access
User avatar
Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer
Posts: 2175
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: What is the vehicle behavior that most bothers you (collisions, handling, etc)? Please show us in this thread!

Postby Chris_CE » Sun May 29, 2016 1:26 pm

Yeah there's an issue where the car can't get grip properly on slopes and curves. This makes it near impossible to turn in the small tunnel, and annoying to do it in the Industrial ones
Game Director
GRIP

DevCas1
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:47 pm

Re: What is the vehicle behavior that most bothers you (collisions, handling, etc)? Please show us in this thread!

Postby DevCas1 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:25 pm

I just downloaded the newest update, and to be honest: in 1 map, I was flying more than actually racing. I know the original Rollcage required skill to stay on track, but a few patches back, I could easily beat HARD at WILD speed, now I struggle with EASY on MEDIUM speed... :cry:

User avatar
potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6
Posts: 1285
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 pm
Location: Grenoble - France
Contact:

Re: What is the vehicle behavior that most bothers you (collisions, handling, etc)? Please show us in this thread!

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:19 pm

DevCas1 wrote:I just downloaded the newest update, and to be honest: in 1 map, I was flying more than actually racing. I know the original Rollcage required skill to stay on track, but a few patches back, I could easily beat HARD at WILD speed, now I struggle with EASY on MEDIUM speed... :cry:

Which map was it ?
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

User avatar
Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer
Posts: 2175
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: What is the vehicle behavior that most bothers you (collisions, handling, etc)? Please show us in this thread!

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:48 pm

The driving has changed to be much much better in this new patch vs the previous one, so I'm not sure what's wrong here. When was the last time you played the game before this latest patch?

I'm curious to know what track you mean, as well
Game Director
GRIP

Old and Putrid
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:56 pm

Re: What is the vehicle behavior that most bothers you (collisions, handling, etc)? Please show us in this thread!

Postby Old and Putrid » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:40 am

I agree with DevCas1, it comes back to the downforce issue, there just isn't any. The drifting is still a problem too, course correcting when taking off and landing a jump feels like i'm driving over a skidpan and is more annoying than difficult. I used to be able to full speed all the tracks on wild in version 1.0.9, but lately i haven't played it much due to alot of rage quitting. The clipping issues that most people mentioned in past updates are still there, if only slightly, when driving very fast. The front of the car will sometimes hit a wall in a tunnel and cause a crash, though this is rare and usually happens to me in the square tunnels on Yuri. All the other issues are present on all tracks. I'm going to download some recording software now and see if i can reproduce these issues, i'll post a video(s) shortly with some timestamps and info.

Old and Putrid
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:56 pm

Re: What is the vehicle behavior that most bothers you (collisions, handling, etc)? Please show us in this thread!

Postby Old and Putrid » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:29 pm

Okay so i spent the last (almost) 2 hours trying to record some gameplay, only to realise that i recorded the loading screen and audio for the whole time. I hope you guys manage to sort through these issues anyway, i'll get back to you after the next update.

User avatar
Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6
Posts: 993
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:22 pm

Re: What is the vehicle behavior that most bothers you (collisions, handling, etc)? Please show us in this thread!

Postby Queadah » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:27 pm

Old and Putrid wrote: I used to be able to full speed all the tracks on wild in version 1.0.9, but lately i haven't played it much due to alot of rage quitting.

Remember "WILD" speed is just a gift to hardcore fans and will NOT be taken into considerations for feedback, debugging et al. "High" speed is highest 100% catered speed at which you should report any wrong behaviours.

It may sound silly but GRIP is really pushing the boundaries of what UE4 can provide out of the box, which is why as a compromise, we still have the option for insane crazy overhelming wild mode (Gosh I love it), at the price of a few glitches here and there ;)

Old and Putrid
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:56 pm

Re: What is the vehicle behavior that most bothers you (collisions, handling, etc)? Please show us in this thread!

Postby Old and Putrid » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:34 am

Right okay, that is fine, though i had not been made aware of this prior to now, otherwise i would have known.
I understand you guys have a certain vision for the game, and you want to get as close to that as possible, but you really must start taking on board criticism and acting upon it. It's not wise to tell your backers that you won't change something in the game because it's not the way you want, especially if that design is causing issues that many have complaints about.

I try not to be mean when i write my feedback but lately i feel a little disgruntled because i'm putting time and effort into giving you the feedback you need to make the changes towards a completed game, and it feels that my effort is not appreciated, more so i see others making angry comments because you just won't listen to them. I paid for your game because i believe that it can be a truly groundbreaking experience, but this is never going to happen if you take offense to criticism whilst lapping up the kudos.

Maybe instead of getting annoyed at those that leave nasty comments, have a think about why they feel that way and see what you can do to change that, i am not saying all this to be hurtful, it is not me that will have to deal with a flop if issues aren't addressed. You have a lot more to lose than me if things don't go well with a final release. I understand that you have a fairly small group of hardcore backers that are very happy with things the way they are now, though these guys will most certainly see an unprecedented improvement on what i would imagine to be a very buggy version 1.0 or however it had been named. Those that joined later on will have an insight on what needs improving and changing, in contrast to those hardcore backers that will perhaps mostly be focusing on how much better the current version is than the original.

Don't alienate your fans, we came here for a reason and we want to help you, but you have to let us.

User avatar
Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6
Posts: 993
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:22 pm

Re: What is the vehicle behavior that most bothers you (collisions, handling, etc)? Please show us in this thread!

Postby Queadah » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:50 pm

It's... *sigh* you didn't get my point :
"Wild" engine speed is a feature not supposed to exist! Think of it as a cheat mode to get unreasonable bang for our buck :)

I'm a backer too, feedbacks don't annoy me and most probably don't annoy the devs, it's just that we can b*tch on everything (and god knows we do) except when that mode is on.

By now, the majority of things you see in the game is feedback induced: make sure you're on "medium" or "high" engine speed and your feedback will be incorporated too

User avatar
VooDooQky
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:10 pm

Re: What is the vehicle behavior that most bothers you (collisions, handling, etc)? Please show us in this thread!

Postby VooDooQky » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:07 pm

Back on topic, sadly the dreadnought, even after the improved physics (as of 1.0.11.1) still have some clipping issues on Yuri tunnel sidewalls, but i'm sure this will be solved sooner or later ^^ Oh, i'm talking about high engine power there, as I reverted back to it, since we got told that wild speed glitches doesn't really count :( (btw I don't even feel that big of a difference in high-wild now)

Furthermore, the fallen debris (especially the bigass pillars), from the tower on Yuri could be destroyable or poundable to smaller particles by rockets, mines or the chaingun, or driving into them over a certain speed, because now, if someone blows up the tower, that route is pretty much killed, or requires taking a rather big hazard trying to bypass them. That applies to other static objects aswell.

I know that the cars right now don't behave very well to small obstacles, but I guess it would be a little better driving through smithereens there, and getting adrift a bit by them, than coming to a full stop, and sticking in there after speeding into those big rocks, hoping you might be able to kick some of them away so you can go through that section once more.
If, for some reason I have to go that way I usually take the flying method to avoid the rocks, taking the right side of the route and driving up on the cliffs, but that isn't the very best solution either as I often bump into the invisible walls after taking the jump.

On 8 lap races they can become an even bigger problem, as the debris' bigger parts often gets pushed into the tunnels by others, plugging them.

User avatar
Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer
Posts: 2175
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: What is the vehicle behavior that most bothers you (collisions, handling, etc)? Please show us in this thread!

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:54 pm

Old and Putrid wrote:I agree with DevCas1, it comes back to the downforce issue, there just isn't any. The drifting is still a problem too, course correcting when taking off and landing a jump feels like i'm driving over a skidpan and is more annoying than difficult. I used to be able to full speed all the tracks on wild in version 1.0.9, but lately i haven't played it much due to alot of rage quitting. The clipping issues that most people mentioned in past updates are still there, if only slightly, when driving very fast. The front of the car will sometimes hit a wall in a tunnel and cause a crash, though this is rare and usually happens to me in the square tunnels on Yuri. All the other issues are present on all tracks. I'm going to download some recording software now and see if i can reproduce these issues, i'll post a video(s) shortly with some timestamps and info.

Old and Putrid wrote:Right okay, that is fine, though i had not been made aware of this prior to now, otherwise i would have known.
I understand you guys have a certain vision for the game, and you want to get as close to that as possible, but you really must start taking on board criticism and acting upon it. It's not wise to tell your backers that you won't change something in the game because it's not the way you want, especially if that design is causing issues that many have complaints about.

I try not to be mean when i write my feedback but lately i feel a little disgruntled because i'm putting time and effort into giving you the feedback you need to make the changes towards a completed game, and it feels that my effort is not appreciated, more so i see others making angry comments because you just won't listen to them. I paid for your game because i believe that it can be a truly groundbreaking experience, but this is never going to happen if you take offense to criticism whilst lapping up the kudos.

Maybe instead of getting annoyed at those that leave nasty comments, have a think about why they feel that way and see what you can do to change that, i am not saying all this to be hurtful, it is not me that will have to deal with a flop if issues aren't addressed. You have a lot more to lose than me if things don't go well with a final release. I understand that you have a fairly small group of hardcore backers that are very happy with things the way they are now, though these guys will most certainly see an unprecedented improvement on what i would imagine to be a very buggy version 1.0 or however it had been named. Those that joined later on will have an insight on what needs improving and changing, in contrast to those hardcore backers that will perhaps mostly be focusing on how much better the current version is than the original.

Don't alienate your fans, we came here for a reason and we want to help you, but you have to let us.

You say this stuff as if we're not trying to fix the issues with the game, man. I don't think you quite realize how hard it is to make a 5 tonne car that goes 500 kmph+ (using a physics engine that isn't meant for racing) do what you want. Sure, you guys may be frustrated by some of the driving, but I assure you that we are infinitely more so. Same goes for the clipping issue, and in that case the car simply goes too fast for PhysX to keep up. We may never get rid of that issue, but it's not like we've ignored people's comments about it.

I can't see how I've been anything but receptive to feedback on this forum and on Steam. How many polls have I started, asking for feedback and taking the feedback seriously? We've changed countless things over the course of development because the people on here asked for them. It's not fair to say that we don't listen and we alienate our fans because it's simply not true. I try to reply to everyone on the forum as well, and sometimes i can't give extensive answers because I'm pretty much the only dev on here (because of our team size) and I've got 1000 other things to do. Even so, I still make the effort to come on here regularly to interact. Sure, I may turn some ideas down or not be receptive to others, but after all this is our game, and there's a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes that isn't seen. Normally you'd see probably 10% of the development info you see from us if we were most devs, and most devs don't go on early access to release their game in iterations, open to feedback. We absorb all the feedback, and we know most, if not all of the issues with the game, it's just we can't fix them overnight. If we had the resources to get things done faster, you bet we would.

I appreciate your passion for the game and giving extensive feedback. Maybe I've missed some posts of yours, or didn't have time to give a proper response. For that I'm sorry. It's really hard to keep track of all the posts on the forum without help (which we cannot currently afford unfortunately)

But I can't agree with the notion that we alienate the members on this forum. If I sounds snappy, I don't mean to be. I'm just trying to defend our situation.

Old and Putrid wrote:I agree with DevCas1, it comes back to the downforce issue, there just isn't any.

There is an incredible amount of downforce on these cars, BUT nothing is final with the physics. If people say the cars are in need of more downforce then we'll look into it. But the reason for the car hitting something and entering the air so much is not because of lack of downforce, it's something in UE4 saying "Hey! Let's bounce this thing into the sky", and Rob's actually been working on specific code for that. Hopefully you'll see a nice change in the next update. Like I said, it's incredibly difficult to get the car to behave how you want. Unfortunately, the people playing now are dealing with the vehicle issues until they get better. All in due time
Game Director
GRIP

mrjimp
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:56 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: What is the vehicle behavior that most bothers you (collisions, handling, etc)? Please show us in this thread!

Postby mrjimp » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:57 am

Chris_CE wrote: "Hey! Let's bounce this thing into the sky", and Rob's actually been working on specific code for that. Hopefully you'll see a nice change in the next update. Like I said, it's incredibly difficult to get the car to behave how you want. Unfortunately, the people playing now are dealing with the vehicle issues until they get better. All in due time


Thinking of physics:

are you simple redirecting the kinetic energy on crashes, or are you actually reducing it as well?

In normal crashes there is always an energy loss, mostly due to deformation of the car, or friction if its a grind type of crash, but since our cars are indestructible this wont happen by itself. Also energy gets "spread" by being absorbed by other mechanics such as shock absorbers, or things that wiggle abit in the car (such as the engine), and is distributed back at a slightly later time meaning: The actual counter force being much lower in the actual crash moment.

Driving around it feels like cars crashing dont loose any speed or energy. Seeing an AI car crash into the wall, steer back into the road, and still keeping its speed happens alot I think. Could be linked to the huge bounce factor in impacts maybe?

User avatar
Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer
Posts: 2175
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: What is the vehicle behavior that most bothers you (collisions, handling, etc)? Please show us in this thread!

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:37 am

Hey mrjimp

We've done quite a bit of work on collision code that helps limit the environment surfing, so that will be in the next patch (which is coming, we're working long hours right now)

What Rob's done is decreased velocity and added friction if the car hits certain objects - rocks and terrain, mainly. It works quite well, but there's still more to do in that respect
Game Director
GRIP

User avatar
0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:11 am
Location: Poland
Contact:

Re: What is the vehicle behavior that most bothers you (collisions, handling, etc)? Please show us in this thread!

Postby 0Blueaura » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:19 pm

What bothers me in terms of movement is either dread or dominator when you grab for handbrake wheels won't stop, cars usually start sliding instead of having a powerful "grip" for "a ton" of a car they're supposed to be. npc doesn't seem to like to use it and they feel like they drive too fast on certain corners. but maybe its just a feeling and no I don't suck :d

In terms of collision.. I would rather work on that fact that those cars get stuck in some corners, I know you guys know about it though, but recently Had a bug on reversed Norvos track at which front wheels kinda gone through the floor and I then suddenly got blown into space. it happens at the top road near the tunnel, with a middle cave underneath it
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

daktylus
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:39 am

Re: What is the vehicle behavior that most bothers you (collisions, handling, etc)? Please show us in this thread!

Postby daktylus » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:55 am

Hi,

the physics improved a lot with the last patches. Great work. I love the game.

Bothering me the most right now: As already mentioned. Very low amount of grip at low speed. Especially the start is always relatively slow as all cars exhibit a lot of wheel spin.


Return to “GRIP Early Access Feedback”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron