Random freezes

Post any bugs here that you experience with running GRIP.

Please USE OUR BUG REPORTING TEMPLATE, or your thread might be reformatted or removed.
Kerake

Random freezes

Postby Kerake » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:47 am

Hi! After the new 1.1.6 update I'm having random freezes of around 3-7 seconds each. In rare occasions I can do an entire race without freezing, but the average is around 5 or 6 freezes per race (3 laps), and sometimes even have freezes every 5 o 6 seconds and have to exit the race because it's unplayable. This happens on the old and the new tracks. I've read that it's a known bug, but I wanted to report this because it's the first time that it's happening to me, so I don't think it's something completely related to the engine, and I don't wanna mess with my CPU configuration since this doesn't happen in any other program, so I prefer to don't change that. Hope you guys can fix it since it makes the game a bit unplayable for me. Thanks for your time, good work and keep it up! :D

P.D: On an unrelated note, there is something that has been bugging me since I upgraded my graphics card and maximized all effects on game (I have this graphics card before this new patch, so the mentioned bug isn't something new because of this). Why do the floor acts like a mirror sometimes? I can see the reflection of my car sometimes like if I were on water or something like that. It looks really weird for me, maybe has an explanation, just wanted to point it out.

kingbeandip

Re: Random freezes

Postby kingbeandip » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:35 am

I also get an occasional random freeze of around 7 seconds, but it only happens on average about once per hour or two of gameplay, so I don't consider it a serious problem. I'm running a Radeon R265 (I think it's the same as the HD 7850), and an A10-6800k (I don't use the integrated graphics, so it's basically an FX-4350). In GRIP my GPU usage usually stays at 100% and my CPU usage is usually around 60% on all 4 cores. Because Kerake sees it so frequently and I don't, I wonder if it's a performance problem, but I don't know any more useful information that I could give you.

kingbeandip

Postby kingbeandip » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:37 am

Kerake, I'm curious to know what processor you have.

Kerake

Postby Kerake » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:17 am

I'll post a bit more info in case it's useful:
CPU: Intel i5 3570 @3.4Ghz
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8Gb @1600Mhz on Dual Channel

kingbeandip

Postby kingbeandip » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:49 pm

I guess that doesn't explain it. Your system is faster than mine, both CPU and GPU.

kingbeandip

Postby kingbeandip » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:36 pm

At least we have determined that the problem happens on both AMD, Intel, and NVIDIA hardware.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:11 pm

Kerake wrote:P.D: On an unrelated note, there is something that has been bugging me since I upgraded my graphics card and maximized all effects on game (I have this graphics card before this new patch, so the mentioned bug isn't something new because of this). Why do the floor acts like a mirror sometimes? I can see the reflection of my car sometimes like if I were on water or something like that. It looks really weird for me, maybe has an explanation, just wanted to point it out.

Do you have TXAA enabled? I find this can create that mirror-like effect. If not, I would go through the graphics options disabling one by one and see what works

Just for future reference, this is the issue Kerake was referring to:

Chris_CE wrote:For very few users the game may freeze periodically while playing. This is an issue associated with UE4, of which Epic are aware. If you experience this, some possible workarounds can be found HERE or HERE
Game Director
GRIP

Kerake

Postby Kerake » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:22 pm

Chris_CE wrote:
Kerake wrote:P.D: On an unrelated note, there is something that has been bugging me since I upgraded my graphics card and maximized all effects on game (I have this graphics card before this new patch, so the mentioned bug isn't something new because of this). Why do the floor acts like a mirror sometimes? I can see the reflection of my car sometimes like if I were on water or something like that. It looks really weird for me, maybe has an explanation, just wanted to point it out.

Do you have TXAA enabled? I find this can create that mirror-like effect. If not, I would go through the graphics options disabling one by one and see what works

Yes, TXAA was the problem, I've changed it and now everything looks much more clear, but the sawtooth are more noticeable (I personally don't mind that), thank you! :D

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:18 am

I was getting these freezes as well, but restarted my PC and havent had them since. Let us know if you get them in the next build!
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Bug Reports”