[LOGGED] A couple Physics related issues (sorry chris)

Post any bugs here that you experience with running GRIP.

Please USE OUR BUG REPORTING TEMPLATE, or your thread might be reformatted or removed.
Eyes Only

[LOGGED] A couple Physics related issues (sorry chris)

Postby Eyes Only » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:14 am

I dont know what you guys know of the current physics issues but aside from the phasing through objects occasionally i ran into a few others, im going to list them here.

Accelerating at a specific incline will cause your wheels to spin but literally nothing to happen.

Collision functions need to be better optimized or shifted to gpgpu (crashing into a building with lots of particles causes my fps to tank below 15 on a gtx 970.) Strange is that it doesnt happen immediately when crashing into things, only a few seconds later when everything is settling.

occasionally on map load the wheels will spin and nothing will happen (much like the first one)
My desktop: FX6300, zotac GTX970, 16GB RAM, Samsung 840 evo 500GB SSD, 500GB HDD, Windows 10 Pro.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Re: A couple Physics related issues (sorry chris)

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:38 pm

Yeah UE4 handles particles strangely. We're having a hard time optimizing, but that could come down to us missing something.

the wheels spinning on an incline rarely happens on the track though, yea?

And wheels spinning at the beginning, do they continue to spin perpetually or can you drive away?
Game Director
GRIP

Eyes Only

Postby Eyes Only » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:26 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Yeah UE4 handles particles strangely. We're having a hard time optimizing, but that could come down to us missing something.

And wheels spinning at the beginning, do they continue to spin perpetually or can you drive away?

Handles particles strangely - read: chugs along at 12 fps haha

Spinning on an incline -can- happen on a regular track in a tunnel or something, but isnt going to be something that will be run into all the time.

I dont know whether or not it keeps spinning, as my reaction is to stop gassing, wait a second and try again so ill test this out for you today :3
My desktop: FX6300, zotac GTX970, 16GB RAM, Samsung 840 evo 500GB SSD, 500GB HDD, Windows 10 Pro.

Eyes Only

Postby Eyes Only » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:01 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Yeah UE4 handles particles strangely. We're having a hard time optimizing, but that could come down to us missing something.

OKay the spinning tires at the beginning I cant seem to replicate reliably, maybe its just me, also I forgot to metion that the cars tend to move around on their own a little bit when left idle (like at the start of a race and stuff)

theyll just jiggle aorund ever so slightly

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:39 pm

yeah that's us trying to tame the BEASTS

No, that's physics in UE4 again. Rob had a great time trying to settle them down
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Bug Reports”