Low FPS on my labtop

Here you can post your system specs and the kind of performance you're getting when running GRIP
spad0ur

Low FPS on my labtop

Postby spad0ur » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:56 pm

specs

win 7 64-bit
Core i7-4500U
Radeon HD 8870M
16gb RAM

settings:

On everything max stable fps between 10-8
On everything low, off and fullHD and max resolution scale 20-30fps

To even more increase FPS i need to change resolution scale on very low rate but its blurry and already "unplayable".
Drivers for graphic are old but latest. For example i can run allien isolation on high settings on this labtop so i have suspicion that game run on my Intel HD graphic despite of fact that i put high performance settings for this game in catalyst control center (switchable graphic application settings)
game runs perfectly on my PC at home with gtx970 but the gap between performance is abnormaly huge.

potterman28wxcv
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Low FPS on my labtop

Postby potterman28wxcv » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:07 pm

My guess is that your GPU is not used by GRIP.

Do you have some kind of settings you can mess around, so that you can make sure that GRIP is run on your GPU and not on your integrated graphics ?
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

spad0ur

Postby spad0ur » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:35 am

Yes i do, anyway it does that automatically there is no need to switch things. The AMD kicks in when i play games. When im using Word / looking at my icons, it defers down to the onboard (2D) Sometimes it does not work properly with specific games - mostly indie so there is option to change it manually to high performance status but even with global settings to high performance it does not work. This is the second game where i noticed this problem after 2-3 years of using this labtop and playing more than 50 games. It could be fixed if its there some aditional application that is used with this game, for example java etc. where i need to put manually performance status. Is there any? Or is this game launched any different way compare to the other games?

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:46 pm

Your video card is pretty low end, so I'm not surprised by the low performance. What other games do you play and with what settings and framerates?
Game Director
GRIP

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:00 pm

The executable itself should be located In your Steam folder at "...\steamapps\common\Grip\Grip\Binaries\Win64" if i am not mistaken. The game should run better with a GPU like this, so it is probably the driver failing to use correct performance status.
Medium settings should be possible.

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:14 pm

Your GPU is less powerful than a Radeon HD 7770, which is far weaker than the HD 6970 I used to get a minimally playable experience (40fps 1080p, low settings).
It's 2017. You're running a low/mid GPU from 2012. 1080p, low settings and 50%-75% resolution scale is all you're gonna get out of that for GRIP.

spad0ur

Postby spad0ur » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:28 pm

Thanks for responds, okay then .. i was not sure about that because i got this fps in menu as well and ususally i can feel hot spot from specific place when my AMD graphic card running on the edge of performance but in this case its feels like the AMD is little warm. Good luck with this game, u are on the right way to be success.

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:49 pm

Thanks spad0ur!
I'm sorry you have to experience GRIP like this on your laptop.
(Can't you carry your PC + screen + generator with you? ;p)

DriftRacer14

Postby DriftRacer14 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:17 am

I get around 20-35 FPS when I play GRIP and do "-resx=800 -resy=600" and set everything to "Low". If I set the scaling slider in the Video menu in game to like 50-70% I can get 35-45 FPS, but keep in mind this is all according to the Steam FPS counter so whether these figures are accurate or not is yet to be determined. Also whenever I mess with the scaling slider my laptop's prone to artifacts, mostly coloration glitches (Explosions will look like magenta mash-ups of squares/cubes). Intel HD Graphics 4000 FTW I guess XD
OK, tell it to me straight... in Rollcage Stage II... was Winter Wonderland II even possible to Gold Medal...? :cry:

Retreating is Running Away. Falling Back, however, is simply Advancing in a Different Direction.

MT_

Integer-ratio scaling with no blur would help

Postby MT_ » Fri May 11, 2018 10:01 am

Nearest-neighbour scaling at integer ratios (2x, 3x) would allow to play with much higher performance and no quality loss at the same time.

For example, FHD-to-4K or qHD-to-FHD with image pixel as a square group of 2×2 same-color physical pixels, or HD-to-4K with 3×3.

Return to “Performance Reports”