Laptop Performance (ugh, it's hideous!)

Here you can post your system specs and the kind of performance you're getting when running GRIP
Falkerz
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Laptop Performance (ugh, it's hideous!)

Postby Falkerz » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:28 am

Specs:
Win 10 Pro
AMD Radeon HD 8730M (Unless it was using the Intel HD 4000, I can never tell the difference between them...)
i7 3537U Dual Core @2.0GHz w/TB up to 3.1GHz and HT
8 gb DDR3 1600
It's a laptop... 4.62A 19.5v = 90.09W (yey...)

Settings:
Res: FORCED 1280x720p
AA: Lowest
AF: Lowest
AO: ON (?!?!) Huh, wow. Glad I took that screenshot now. I should lern to do gud reding mor.
Shadows: Lowest
Effects: lowest
Textures: lowest
Post Process: lowest
Motion Blur: lowest

Performance:
Average fps: 12
Lowest fps: 9
Highest fps: 20

NOTES:

My laptop is a pile of 5#!7

Also, Screenies!

Just to prove I'm running in full potato mode...

Let the --torture-- FUN begin...

And now, for the ever important, HOW to get out of that ever favourite trap on the right hand side of that tiny-under-bridge-passageway-just-before-the-tunnel-by-the-up-high-shortcut-split-after-the-left-side-ramp-split-about-halfway-through-the-industrial-circuit-trick.

STEP 1: Get stuck

STEP 2: Use the darkest of magic to drive along the terrain, avoiding the pitfalls, until you get to a point whereby you can drive under the track (the car kinda just goes there when you reach it).

STEP 3: Drive back under the track in a perpendicular fashion (so, across) and then you inda just hop back up... Feelings, and stuff...

Then you carry on racing!

TADA! And THATS how you prove your machine cannot. It just can't. I think it was only a 3 or maybe a 5 lap race? I cannae remember specifics. Good test though.

(On the side, is there any chance of a [spoiler][/spoiler] tag?
"Tired are we, the few who battle endlessly, against the never ceasing sound, of inevitability..."

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Laptop Performance (ugh, it's hideous!)

Postby StickyBassline » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:35 am

Unreal engine 4 is unfortunately one of the most demanding engines available :/ Probably won't be possible to optimize the game more than 30%.
You're just a voice pal.

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:54 am

If you want to force it to run on the dedicated GPU, browse into Steam's local files, find Grip.exe, right click it and look for 'run with - dedicated graphics processor'. or whatever. There's an option on Windows 10, I had to do that for a few other UE games (such as Rocket League).

If I'm getting 200fps on a GTX980 you should be getting more than 20 on that thing even if it is a mobile card. Sounds like it's running from the integrated graphics.

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:30 am

KazzyMac wrote:If I'm getting 200fps on a GTX980 you should be getting more than 20 on that thing even if it is a mobile card. Sounds like it's running from the integrated graphics.

A quick google search is leading me to find the 8730M is roughly equivalent to a GTX 640M, which is a three-and-a-half year-old multimedia laptop card. It's not even really meant for gaming. Your GTX980 is a high end desktop gaming GPU that's only about a year old, of course there's going to be an enormous performance difference. That very well could be running with the discrete GPU.
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Falkerz
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Falkerz » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:23 am

wantfastcars wrote:
KazzyMac wrote:If I'm getting 200fps on a GTX980 you should be getting more than 20 on that thing even if it is a mobile card. Sounds like it's running from the integrated graphics.

A quick google search is leading me to find the 8730M is roughly equivalent to a GTX 640M, which is a three-and-a-half year-old multimedia laptop card. It's not even really meant for gaming. Your GTX980 is a high end desktop gaming GPU that's only about a year old, of course there's going to be an enormous performance difference. That very well could be running with the discrete GPU.

Yup. It's a piece of crap. Was the highest spec GPU available for my laptop when I ordered it. I deliberately ordered my laptop with a WXGA (1366x768) screen as well instead of the 1920x1080 one, as I knew I wanted to play some games on this machine. Little did I know (oh so very naively) that the AMD GPU drivers were genetically shittier than a manure farm, and so going to plague me with issues, rather than it being a simply old Radeon 6670 HD in my mate's Alienware that wasted 8 hours of my life for about 15 minutes of compliance. Such is life.

That's why my desktop runs an AMD FX-8320 8 core CPU (as I had a VERY good little dual core AMD APU which ran better than an Intel CPU with a Dedi AMD GPU (ahem, my P.O.S. laptop)) and an nVidia GTX 770 4GB MSI Twin Frozr. And then I kinda just generically chose Kingston HyperX Fury White RAM (16GB DDR3 at 1866MHz), 2 Kingston SSDs (Both 240GB capacity, one as the boot drive, one as a purely programs drive. And they were a Kingston HyperX 3K for the boot drive and then a Kingston SSD Now V300 for the programs) and then a Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm HDD. Oh, and a Corsair CX750W PSU (a little overkill, but should last me for a second build if I need it to). RUns like a dream. Except for when the boot drive s#!ts the bed and need a warranty replacement, plus full OS rebuild because I didn't image the drive. SMART...

I feel like I've gone slightly off topic. Just know this:

TL;DR NEVER BUY AMD MOBILE GRAPHICS IF YOU VALUE YOUR IMMORTAL SOUL AND WISH FOR ME TO NOT CAUSE YOU GREAT PAIN IF I EVER HAVE TO TRY HELP YOU GET IT WORKING.

ALSO, I AM SECRETLY MR TORGUE. Furthermore, I shall endeavour to perform some conclusive stability / performance tests on my main PC (mentioned above. Go read it, *great* for your blood pressure) within the next week.
"Tired are we, the few who battle endlessly, against the never ceasing sound, of inevitability..."

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:39 am

I learned the hard way eight years ago that ATI/AMD graphics hardware is not worth the effort. I had a laptop with an ATI Radeon x300 Mobility chip ........ couldn't run sh*t, and then when I foolishly tried to update the drivers I -definitely- couldn't run sh*t because the catalyst control center disappeared and all of my performance-tweaking options disappeared with it.

... This is why I forked out for a laptop with a GTX970 and not an AMD R9 270/290 or whatever. Their driver support is just ........ *climbs on the nopetrain* :/

tjgcrush
#1 Tester
#1 Tester

Postby tjgcrush » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:14 am

my potato looks horrible with the current settings on it but i fixed that by putting the game on 720X400 with everything on low and shadows at a med so that i looks pretty and i get around a solid 40-60 fps :D though the screen gets bars and it looks like a movie and half the hud is gone, ppfft i don't need to know what place im in XD
And with his chrome V8 toys
Immortan Joe created the WarBoys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIyRXvHmXxo

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:12 pm

Another hater of ATI/AMD mobile products here.
*destroyed a €1000 laptop in blind rage because the drivers ruined my life*

Falkerz, did you try assigning the GPU to Grip.exe yet?
Also, the lowest you can go with resolution is 680x480. Might be able to squeeze out a few more slides for the slideshow ;p

Justify
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby Justify » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:36 pm

Did you assign the GRIP.exe or the corresponding 64 bit exe to your GPU? By default it was assigned to the Intel HD Graphics.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:52 pm

Broscar wrote:Might be able to squeeze out a few more slides for the slideshow ;p

Ahaha dear God :lol:
I'd laugh so hard if he managed to beat you online in slideshow mode lol

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:24 am

Queadah wrote:
Broscar wrote:Might be able to squeeze out a few more slides for the slideshow ;p

Ahaha dear God :lol:
I'd laugh so hard if he managed to beat you online in slideshow mode lol

As someone that learned to do just this on Trackmania ....... it's possible. ;)

Falkerz
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Falkerz » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:51 am

OK then fancy Mc Beautiful people! I have played around with my laptop, I ran the game at reduced settings, and only saw an average 8 fps improvement by dropping settings to medium / low with AO OFF. Maybe it was on the intel card, but the difference is so minimal it wasn't particularly worth it...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ama62h0a4rnt ... E8F0a?dl=0

Return to “Performance Reports”