Surface Pro 4 i5 4Gb ram (and mobile possibilities)

Here you can post your system specs and the kind of performance you're getting when running GRIP
SuperLucas335
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Surface Pro 4 i5 4Gb ram (and mobile possibilities)

Postby SuperLucas335 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:47 am

I know what you are thinking, so don't say it. I already know. I'm crazy! :D
Just for some laughs I decided to try to crash my Surface by installing GRIP on it (don't worry I have a better computer)
To my great surprise it didn't crash at max settings, so I decided to turn down the settings to the lowest it can go. It's just playable on races (playable on Arena because the map is smaller). It's amazing. The surface doesn't even have a dedicated GPU. This made me think.
'If GRIP is playable on a laptop with a core i5 and no dGPU, what are the possibilities for mobile?'
There is a cool little game on my iPad 2 called Jet Car Stunts 2. The graphics are surprisingly good! And with the release of Metal for ios and the iPad pro, I am confident that a special edition of the game can be made for it! The game can use touch controls with the accelerometer for steering (same as most racing games on mobile), so controls is not a problem. Heck, there are even controllers for iPads! So, devs. I ask you this: 'Is it possible?' (UE4 has full mobile support - take goat simulator, it has both desktop and mobile editions)

Note: I get around 15-35 FPS on races, slightly higher on arena and playground

Oh, If you do do it, consider releasing it on the Windows 10 store for people like me on their laptops. It will open up doors. (just do something about particles, they really kill) Please?
Last edited by SuperLucas335 on Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Falkerz
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Re: Surface Pro 4 i5 4Gb ram (and mobile possibilities)

Postby Falkerz » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:50 pm

Well, a particles toggle would certainly be useful (they can drop me to 3fps on a GTX770 with 4TH of VRAM).

As for mobile, coding for iOS is expensive. It's £100GBP per year for the developer license, you can only run the development environment on a Mac, and you need iOS devices to properly test with. And then you need to get the app tested and validated by Apple.

As for Android, development can be done privately completely free. A developer license is £25GBP for life, and you can write in a multitude of languages and development environments. Corona SDK is a nice one as it allows you to write coffee in LUA script, and then user use their translation servers to export to pretty much any mobile platform. The pricing structure I'd also amazing, professionally developed commercial apps being permitted to earn up to $100,000USD with no fees from Corona. The only downside is that your code base is in LUA, so I don't know how that would play with UE4
"Tired are we, the few who battle endlessly, against the never ceasing sound, of inevitability..."

SuperLucas335
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Re: Surface Pro 4 i5 4Gb ram (and mobile possibilities)

Postby SuperLucas335 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:50 am

I totally agree with the particles. C.E should put a particle cap, where particles de-spawn in the order that they appeared when the cap is reached.
With porting to mobile, I was more thinking much later in development, when the game has been put on Steam in the normal store. But I think it is possible, though.

Return to “Performance Reports”