Postby Mystical » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:32 pm

The kickstarter had a boom.

Hopefully we'll see bigger booms soon!

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Kickstarter

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:07 pm

It appears people like easily accessible content like gifs, at least on reddit. Most of the guys who backed today wouldn't probably haven't gotten news of Grip if they had to just click through one more link. So, we need more action-packed, ready to watch and direct to the point animated material, maybe video because sound is awesome. I'm not talking about new material, that would be cool, but as you could see today, just by making a more speedy version through video editing it boomed. There were many links to the kickstarter's video on reddit already, but noone of them exploded like this. I believe people will not just sit through a random kickstarter's 10 minute video if they don't know in advance they will like it. So let's make this viral once more sometimes! Afterall, Grip is selling itself, we just need to tell people they need it! :D
Oh yeah? I'm so boring that http://forum.cagedelement.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

Chrissgun

Postby Chrissgun » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:55 pm

Hey guys,

i have a question because im confused and flashed from this awesome game at the same moment. :lol:
I just donated 53 cad (enough for a alpha access i guess) and now my question is how i will get access(do i get an email from kickstarter with a code or sth like that?) and the even bigger problem when the alpha will be testable?
Im sorry if there are any mistakes or somebody asked this questions already.

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:11 am

I agree with Unreal. Forum posts that i have made advertising Grip and getting people onto the Kickstarter is far more successful when i have embedded GIFS onto the forum post for people to see the awesome action right there before they even have to click any links. I think they have a greater impact than even embedding the Trailer videos.

TOSSMEH
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TOSSMEH » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:29 am

I think embedding gifs is definitely the best way to go about it, i saw the gif on reddit and thought "huh that looks like rollcage, hope this gets funded" before reading up and realising that rollcage devs are actually involved. myself i get kind of fedup when i hear about a kickstarter for a game that's "like X" but actually seeing it is a whole different thing.
Gripping Grip's Grip Greatly Grudgingly

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:19 am

TOSSMEH wrote:i get kind of fedup when i hear about a kickstarter for a game that's "like X" but actually seeing it is a whole different thing.

Precisely. For Grip, the Gifs are pretty self-explanatory about how well made the game is and graphics are, so that's why i do less talking and more showing of Gifs for advertisement on Forums! :P

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:09 pm

Thanks for the support so far guys.

Landvaarder... wow :shock: Thanks!

There's a reason for me being absent here, and it's a good one. I'm making a new trailer and it's going to hard hitting and much shorter than the Kickstarter features video.
Expect the trailer to be posted sometime this week (aiming for Tues)

You guys are right. Quick high impact footage or GIFs are the best possible thing, and I've definitely come to realize this. The Kickstarter features trailer - although very informative and packed with media - is too much of a time commitment for most people.

Hit em fast and hit em hard!

I'm so busy but I want to get to some of the questions regarding the Kickstarter. Can one of the mods start a new thread titled something like "Questions about the Kickstarter Megathread"?
Then I can just dive in and see all the questions in one place.
If some questions have already been asked, if you could move them in there that would be awesome but I fully understand if you're too busy or simply don't want to do it.

Again, thanks for all the nice comments and support! We've got a long, hard road ahead with us exploring all angles of promoting this thing.
Let's get this sucker funded!

-Chris
Game Director
GRIP

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:37 am

There is a kickstarter question topic now, so everyone with questions about the kickstarter, please post it there.

potty's edit : link to the topic -> viewtopic.php?p=1847#p1847
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

Xaotros
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Xaotros » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:31 pm

I just saw that the pc gamer posted a 10 min pre alpha video of everspace (the game that is also on kickstarter).
Maybe that's something Grip should do?
"We (Sony) never retire any franchise" - Shuhei Yoshida, the current President of SCE (Sony Computer Entertainment Inc)

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:42 pm

Xaotros wrote:I just saw that the pc gamer posted a 10 min pre alpha video of everspace (the game that is also on kickstarter).
Maybe that's something Grip should do?

We'd love to do this, but the problem is that we're so early in development that there are still a lot of bugs and people may be turned off by the strange physics behaviour.

People's perception (not saying yours) is often that we've already developed a lot of the game, and that leads to thinking like "why are they asking for so much money, when the game is almost done".

It's frustrating because I did my best to present what we've got as well as I could, and that has turned into a bad thing in some instances.

Can't win :/
Game Director
GRIP

Hassun

Postby Hassun » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:20 pm

It definitely feels like we should find a way to promote this Kickstarter more. As far as I can tell the Kickstarter itself is very well constructed (unlike the Shenmue one for example) so I don't think that's the problem.
I'm not sure I (want to) believe there isn't enough interest in a game like this

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:50 pm

GRIP got popular, all the sites helped a lot, the problems are simply humans.

Chris, I think the best way to show people that the game isn't finished is by giving them glitches in the face, and tell them again that the game is in very early progress..
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:24 pm

0Blueaura wrote:GRIP got popular, all the sites helped a lot, the problems are simply humans.

Chris, I think the best way to show people that the game isn't finished is by giving them glitches in the face, and tell them again that the game is in very early progress..

GRIP didn't get popular at all. It has been covered by a lot of small magazines, but not by the biggest ones.

I've heard Rollcage was sold in more than 100 000 exemplaries. This means there are at least 100k people in the world who have played Rollcage. And yet, only 3k backed. Why ? Just because the coverage wasn't enough.

But it's very hard to get coverage nowadays without money.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:45 am

I though some bigger magazines covered GRIP, but only those small? didin't know

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:38 pm

Sorry for double post

I've donated 21 CAD on GRIP site via credit card, that's all I can do, At least, wish Best of everything in future ! (also the art gallery is intriguing)

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:52 pm

Just a question for Chris in case he sees this.

You wrote
Unfortunately, we cannot offer any physical rewards (car model, art book, RC car) at this time, but we are planning to make some available in the future.

Do you think it can be more of a useful thing or an organizative drama if someone backed more than the maximum tier now, with the plea to have that extra amount count toward future physical rewards (with an eventual additional funding added to reach future tiers)?

Or do you want everyone to just back an amount equal to a certain tier and back for physical rewards in the future?
Oh yeah? I'm so boring that http://forum.cagedelement.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:40 pm

^ This.

I'm disappointed that the Kickstarter was cancelled but you're not going to get rid of me (us) that easily xP But I would quite happily back any sort of super-special Earl Ass pledge for bonus extracoolstuff that was in the sort of range of what my KS pledge was ($200 CAD). I feel dirty just backing the $40 pledge you guys have on the main page because I want to give more and I can't -sadface-.

Though having said that, disco mods?? You guys. You guys. There needs to be a dubstep mod too. :P

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Tiakh
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Postby Tiakh » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:49 pm

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... 6#comments
Kickstarter is cancelled for everbody who didnt notice it yet!
the new campaign: http://www.cagedelement.com/grip/

this is a coincidence cause i finished today my last exam and i thought about having finally more time - to spend on grip :D
however now you changed the financial plan. still i think its a good idea cause the kickstarter goal was pretty unlikely to happen.
I will support you with this new campaign though ;)

Im just wondering how we will get the game and goodies? will it be over the e-mail from paypal (in my case)?
hopes up that this will work out!

Torben
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Torben » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:01 pm

I just caught the news thanks to Potterman.

I actually think this is a good move for the entire game. Granting an early access date has been very effective for a ton of other new games, which actually took off and became extremely well developed because the community was involved so early (good example is Killing Floor 2). And $16 USD (about €15)? That's one of the most friendly prices I've seen over the past few years for such a visually appealing game (and if the gameplay is spot on, then it's perfect).
And the Dutch said: "Wees zuinig", and thus, somewhat later, we had the moneyz.

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:02 pm

I think the best way to deal with "toys" of GRIP is when its actually finished.

Later on, Caged Element will have time to open up an in-game store where people can ask for order of certain toy, like rc racer, signed rc racer and other stuff.

that's my idea. :p

Return to “Announcements”