1.0.8 is now live on Private release branch!

Official Announcements about Grip
Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

1.0.8 is now live on Private release branch!

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:11 pm

Here's a quick changelist (full changelist will be available once the patch goes public):

• The Tank is in!
  • Greatly improved driving ability (collisions with walls and cars less severe - still need work though)
  • Reverse mode
  • Mirror mode
  • New race barrier and boundaries for all maps
  • Greatly improved sound mix
  • Gamepad UI navigation (still WIP)
  • Better AI behavior in some respects (still WIP, obviously)
  • Setting in menu for destructible cars in Race game mode
  • Optimizations
  • Other stuff...

This is a big patch that improves the game quite a lot. So please post feedback here!

8-)
Game Director
GRIP

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: 1.0.8 is now live on Private release branch!

Postby Django » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:21 pm

Wohooo <thumbs up>

Edit: Oh lotta good stuff.

I just love the new song xtigma - crash city

About the Dreadnought: looks great but its a bit too slow and it spins extremly easy around.

Hey first time that i managed to lit all the fireworks.

Wastes and Transport on reverse are awesome. But theres a catch. If i fly against the wall its easy to get stuck somewhere between invisible wall and rocks.
Hey wasnt there some energy animation planned when we hit the invisible wall or was that only for the fence?

Edit2:

Example for getting stuck in texture, its in wastes, reverse, just behind the starting point, right hand
Spoiler: show

render distance not far enough (the tunnel)

missing texture in Transport
its old but i see this spot quit often
btw. i got stuck in the texture 3sec later

stretched texture - same spot before the entrance right hand side

Edit3:
Another old thing the red glow stays on if stoped abruptly. Only for 2 - 3 seconds but still.

And not sure what others think about this but in my opinion if i select a song from the music menu it should stay on till its finished when going back to other menus.
Last edited by Django on Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Similii
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Similii » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:22 pm

I leave SFV and I see that *o*
If you want to be grammar nazi to me, just do it, that will improve my english :3

Chroniton
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Chroniton » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:58 pm

T...T...T Tank?!

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:01 pm

Did you do anything to the handling model or does the Dreadnaught just drive like sex? I only had a brief moment to try it before class started but it feels amazing.
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Giovanni
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Giovanni » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:04 pm

This is yet again another great update, I really love the look of the menu now, I shall hopefully give out my own cons soon.

Similii
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Similii » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:12 pm

Is that normal that we don't see our times in time trial? (That update is gorgeous by the way)
If you want to be grammar nazi to me, just do it, that will improve my english :3

psppwner300

Postby psppwner300 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:12 pm

Gah, I'm dying here...can't access the patch because I wasn't a backer

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:57 pm

My god does this game feel different. The new car is amazing. Just the sounds and the way it handles, it feels right. Also the Dominator's engine sounds a lot better. The new hud effects are great I want to throw even more money at you guys but I have no money to give. Only complaint is the new machine gun sound. I hate how the motor cuts out suddenly. It should spin up, continue at the same pitch, then spin down once empty.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Roq
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Roq » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:14 pm

Initial impressions are great! Every change is for the better. Only (minor) gripes I have so far are that the Tank engine sound isn't low enough - sounds more like a lawn mower to me. The only other thing is the image for choosing a car colour is from to low a perspective to really see the colour. I know that's just WIP but thought I'd mention it.

No reason not to release to the public at large as far as I can see. Awesome work guys!

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:26 pm

GUYS! FOR FUCKS SAKE! YOU OWE ME A NEW PAIR OF PANTS!

But on a serious note. Im gushing over this update, everything is sooo much better! Tank feels amazing (but it sounds weird) and its name is pretty cool. Destructible vehicles! Oh god yes! It was a great decision! AND THAT GLITCHING OUT HUD!! UUUUUUUHHHH!

Last edited by WROB3L on Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

tjgcrush
#1 Tester
#1 Tester

Postby tjgcrush » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:37 am

im just glad they used one of the names i suggested
And with his chrome V8 toys
Immortan Joe created the WarBoys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIyRXvHmXxo

Roq
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Roq » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:56 am

Longer Game-play Impressions.

Not a fan of the new engine sounds for the Dominator (Or Dreadnought, as mentioned before). Overly synthetic quality to both. Dreadnought far to high pitch. Needs more low end burble and grunt, less drone whiring. Feel like these current revisions would suit a more sleek car manufacturer.
    More reactive/bounciness nature of the Dominator feels less heavy. Very dune-buggy-esque low tire pressure sensation. Intended?
    Above factors are lending a slight toy car feel to the game.
    MPH setting won't stick when selected.
    Count down/race start audio way to loud if the rest of the game audio is lowered.
    Not sure what the slight mist atmospherics add to the Playground map.
    Still not a fan of HUD weapon placement. Know most are. I miss-fire in clutch situations. Option to move this down the road?
    Shield deployment has a slight reverb audio effect, giving the impression it's being activated in an enclosed space even when out in the open.

As mentioned before, the rest of the sound design, physics and visual tweaks are just fantastic! Only thing I could wish for is a randomize selector so that every time I select race, the game just picks a track that may or may not be mirrored/reversed or both. Are the weather effects hard coded for each track or could that be randomized? I ask because if time of day could be altered on the fly, then the game would already feel like it had a ridiculous amount of tracks.

EDIT: MPH is sticking in game, but returning to the menu shows as KPH.

More thoughts:

Love the sound of the Raptor gun spinning up! can you add spinning down audio too?
    Possibly increase the mine audio range slightly. I like that it has a proximity audio, but right now, by the time you hear it, it's either to late, or you missed it anyway.
    When you're out in front, I feel like the game needs something else other than the Assassin missile to mess with the front runner. Maybe environmental hazards or static track-side weapons could be deployed.
    On the same issue, Assassin audio spam is very fatiguing. Maybe a visual clue rather than audio - number of Assassin's currently coming for you with colour of the numerical value denoting the proximity or flashing?
Last edited by Roq on Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

LittleBabyman
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby LittleBabyman » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:46 am

This is really bloody great! Loving the different race modes.

Falkerz
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Falkerz » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:33 am

Performance report posted by me. Laptop performance still making leaps and bounds. Fully expecting this rate of progress to enable max settings in about 9 months... ;)
"Tired are we, the few who battle endlessly, against the never ceasing sound, of inevitability..."

Raion
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Raion » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:23 am

Most of the more immediate reactions have already been covered (Roq, you powertester you).
I agree with, uh, Roq, on the "Randomize" button. I love how mirrored tracks screw with you, and eventually, when all is said and done, I strongly feel we need to be able to generate a random playlist of tracks in randomized configurations. (I dunno about time of day though... I expect the lighting is mostly baked?)
As for the driving... well, I haven't been playing much lately, so I'm not in the position of commenting on the subtleties of the changes and, anyway, there have been way better testers than me on this, like... ... ROOOOOOOQ!! *shakes fists*

So, in lieu of constructive criticism, I'll just waste this space to add to a general sense of positivity, and reminder that we appreciate the improvements, and look forward to the rest with barely contained expectancy. No pressure or anything.

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:16 am

Loving the Dreadnought. Especially how it looks at the back and seems to have better acceleration than Dominator from the 450km/h+ range.

Anyway, more concrete feedback:
- I like the differences between the two classes when it comes to handling, though performance wise it seems that Dominator will easily win, even on the high speed oriented tracks. Maybe a slightly bigger difference to their top speed/high-end acceleration could do the trick? (Top speed with Dominator - 753km/h, Dreadnought only 736km/h, with Turbo of course)
- Mirror option is sick. Makes you have to re-learn the entire track basically :D
- I like the changes on the Transport map, definitely looks, feels and most importantly flows a lot better. Though the bridge part could use some... stuff around it. Every time I pass through there it seems very empty. Oh and you can see the game loading the textures in the tunnel from far away. Just pointing out, I did read the info for that track ;)
- Agree with yellowquiet on the machine gun sound effect. There should definitely be not only spin up, but staying at full revs and then spin down sounds as well.
- Loving the HUD effect whenever a missile is near you. Adds a great feeling that your day (or someone else's) is going to get worse in a second due to an epic explosion :D
- The AI improved, now it doesn't stop completely whenever there's someone in front of them (at least not as often as before, it can happen once in a rare while), but there's still an issue. It doesn't do anything to avoid other cars. Seems AI still has to go through the "Overtaking Maneuver" part in driving school xD
- Whenever I drive upside-down I have a tendency to mix up the weapons, so maybe an option to flip the weapons on the HUD whenever you're driving upside down in the settings? Some would like it, those that don't can simply leave it alone.
- Really liking the GUI improvements in the menu. Everything is more clear now, I know exactly what is selected the moment I bring up... apart from the track. That white border doesn't... "pop up" enough to make you certain it's the track you actually chosen. Making it Orange should do the trick IMO.
- The reversing insta traction is still there, while accelerating forward has almost none. As in from a stand still of course.
- Cars seem to have less and less force behind them in the impacts against other cars the faster they go. If someone bumps into me from behind, it isn't much of an issue to keep driving and the same stays true when roles are reversed. If I bump into someone while trying to overtake... game over, spin all day long. I would imagine that if I'm going 450km/h+ and there's someone sitting still sideways on the road, I would literally blow him away, especially if I'm driving in a Tank class car.
- General handling over terrain has really improved. I clipped only once while wallriding on Yuri Industry with Turbo on, wild engine power naturally. Now it does feel a lot more that if the car screws up, it's because of my own mistake. Definitely an improvement.
- When driving on gravel, there's definitely too much under-steer. I realise the cars are 4WD, but since I've been playing DiRT Rally quite a lot, I can assure that 4WD cars, heck, even FWD slide when driving on the gravel a lot. Basically on every single corner. Would be nice if this would be improved, so while on the tarmac/concrete, it's the under-steer that is the "main enemy", while on the gravel it's the over-steer. Naturally not something that is beyond all control and happens always, just not a dead under-steer in 95%+ situations like it is now ;)
- Dreadnought weapons seems to have better tracking than on Dominator. Not sure if it's just a placebo effect or it's actually the case though but more often than not the weapons avoided obstacles while firing from Dreadnought, while the same obstacles where hit when using them from Dominator.

Generally speaking, great update. Can't wait to see a car for every class and the Norvos track included as well. Agree on the randomization playlist as well and would be really nice if there would be dynamic weather effects. That would create a track-blowing combination :D

Roq
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Roq » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:52 am

Another small menu thing - having a translucent overlay when picking the car colours is made a tiny bit more tedious due to the overlay covering the image of the car, making colour selection even harder. I know I know, super knit-pickey as it's not hard to move it over to check the colour you want, but thought I'd mention it. What I'd really like is a full screen garage view of each car with just a colour palette off to the side that alters the colour of the car in a full screen view that can be rotated around with vehicle info and all that good stuff. More for further along the process, I know. ;)

mixabuben

Postby mixabuben » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:23 am

Hi, when this will be public? :)

I need that Gamepad UI navigation)))

nakano

Postby nakano » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:41 am

Just a brief play session this time, but for some reason the feel of driving speed seems to be slower than before. I don't like effect of scrambling the HUD that much unless it's because usage of emp weapon, but I don't think it's implemented yet. Why the car's motor is coughing all the time? Annoying. I like the reverse and mirror mode options. So far only tested mirror mode once. In playground the car gets easily stuck into objects when running into them.

EDIT: Played some more.
Noticed that the HUD scrambles when any missile fly past, hit to mine or health is low. I don't think this needs to happen. Regarding low health, I think the burning car is enough indication.
I like the option of having destructible vehicles in Race Mode. I think Track Reversed and Track Mirrored could have an option of being random in addition to on/off. The option could change between any race.

Return to “Announcements”