The Not So Official Dev Blog

Official Announcements about Grip
potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: The Not So Official Dev Blog

Postby potterman28wxcv » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:11 pm

Torben wrote:
Unreal.2K7 wrote:Does that woman realize that there are a bunch of people all over the world, whom she never knew, that now envy her? The power of the internet...

I'm sure Chris informed her about the risks of becoming a forum celebrity, and the rituals we all shall perform daily in her hono(u)r.

Things are starting to get weird :D
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:21 pm

She had no idea I was posting to the internet, and was semi not pleased because of her hilariously screechy laugh
Game Director
GRIP

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:51 pm

She's more judgemental of it than we are. We just see a lovely woman enjoying what her son has created with a small team.
And we're jealous of her of course.

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:06 am

Broscar wrote:She's more judgemental of it than we are. We just see a lovely woman enjoying what her son has created with a small team.
And we're jealous of her of course.

Reminds me of: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0456554/
! ! ! RUNNING THE BEST OS EVER ! ! !

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:29 pm

Some news from Chris

• Rob is finishing off the new AI spline system. Cars follow splines set out on the track, but not uniformly, as they can weave a bit on the track. They also divert towards pickups or alternate routes and use pickups in the best situation. AI and pickups are now pretty much ready for Early Access.
  • I've made the Jahtra track a full circuit now. It's got plenty of interesting areas including an area where it splits into three paths. The map has big curves, wall driving, ceiling driving, destruction, high speed, turns for drifting, a couple vistas and a lot of new assets
  • Rob is tackling physics next, to make the controls tighter and more predictable.
  • The arena map is a surprise really, but I can say that it's on a different planet from Jahtra.
  • The car, in addition to having exhaust and sidethruster effects when changing gears (backfiring), will also have the sidethrusters engage when drifting.
    We're also thinking about adding some more animation to the car to really bring it to life, but that would be after first release
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Tiakh
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Postby Tiakh » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:40 am

Looking forward to all the new features. Cant wait for early access.
What is about a second car to choose from is there anything planned yet?

Raion
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Raion » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:09 am

Likewise, waiting, salivating, daydreaming of purposefully drifting into vegetation to set it ablaze with the thrusters... no dice? Aww.

Roq
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Roq » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:19 pm

potterman28wxcv wrote:Some news from Chris

• Rob is finishing off the new AI spline system. Cars follow splines set out on the track, but not uniformly, as they can weave a bit on the track. They also divert towards pickups or alternate routes and use pickups in the best situation. AI and pickups are now pretty much ready for Early Access.
  • I've made the Jahtra track a full circuit now. It's got plenty of interesting areas including an area where it splits into three paths. The map has big curves, wall driving, ceiling driving, destruction, high speed, turns for drifting, a couple vistas and a lot of new assets
  • Rob is tackling physics next, to make the controls tighter and more predictable.
  • The arena map is a surprise really, but I can say that it's on a different planet from Jahtra.
  • The car, in addition to having exhaust and sidethruster effects when changing gears (backfiring), will also have the sidethrusters engage when drifting.
    We're also thinking about adding some more animation to the car to really bring it to life, but that would be after first release

So goddam HYPE! Nice to see how you guys are animating the car. very very cool! I was thinking about how the thrust could be vectored through ports on the top of the car to help stick it to walls and ceilings.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:32 pm

Tiakh wrote:Looking forward to all the new features. Cant wait for early access.
What is about a second car to choose from is there anything planned yet?

Here's the first release feature list ripped from our site:

1 car type (12 skins)
1 track (daytime & night-time versions)
1 playground map with track designs, obstacles, physics objects and destructibles
3 weapons (missile, gun, mine)
2 power-ups (boost, shield)
Standard Artificial Intelligence (navigate course, shoot you when opportune)
Play modifiers (slow motion, unlimited ammo, 3x weapon power, disable pick-ups, 2x engine power, etc)
1 exclusive music track

Raion wrote:Likewise, waiting, salivating, daydreaming of purposefully drifting into vegetation to set it ablaze with the thrusters... no dice? Aww.

Maybe GRIP 2 ;)

Roq wrote:So goddam HYPE! Nice to see how you guys are animating the car. very very cool! I was thinking about how the thrust could be vectored through ports on the top of the car to help stick it to walls and ceilings.

The thought of having thrusters push you and stabilize the car for wall and ceiling driving is pretty cool. If we implement top and bottom thrusters for air control, it would be pretty easy to use the same effect for this.
Game Director
GRIP

Roq
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Roq » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:18 pm

Chris_CE wrote: The thought of having thrusters push you and stabilize the car for wall and ceiling driving is pretty cool. If we implement top and bottom thrusters for air control, it would be pretty easy to use the same effect for this.

Yeah, It's just always bugged me that these cars can do the wall/ceiling thing because they supposedly create so much down force - something that's impossible for a car to do that has horizontal symmetry. Yes, I know I'm being a nit-picky nerd :P Would be nice to see if you're adding drift thrusters.

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:05 pm

Roq wrote:Yeah, It's just always bugged me that these cars can do the wall/ceiling thing because they supposedly create so much down force - something that's impossible for a car to do that has horizontal symmetry. Yes, I know I'm being a nit-picky nerd :P Would be nice to see if you're adding drift thrusters.

It was always my head cannon that the tires were electromagnetic. The main issue you should wonder is how on earth the tires switch direction when flipping so fast. All I have to say is they have crazy ass differentials.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Roq
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Roq » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:27 am

I always imagined that the wheels aren't physically connected to the axles, but ride on a cushion of magnetic energy, making them essentially frictionless. The cars just move forward thanks to the rear thrust rather than any actual power being put through the wheels. The magnetic system controls the breaks - think mag-lev tech. I know this doesn't fully account for the energy in those wheels being able to instantaneously rotate in the opposite direction, but it's the best compromise my brain could come up with. Also, sorry for the thread derail :/

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:04 pm

I'm fully on board of the HYPE TRAIN now :D

Two thoughts after reading though it all:
1. I will be really pissed if you push the drifting anywhere near the Ridge Racer area. Really pissed.
2. We will be so effing good on the Jahtra track after the game gets to full launch :D :D

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:03 pm

the-GURU-man wrote:Two thoughts after reading though it all:
1. I will be really pissed if you push the drifting anywhere near the Ridge Racer area. Really pissed.
2. We will be so effing good on the Jahtra track after the game gets to full launch :D :D

I don't think grip will ever have ridge racer style drifting. Otherwise I don't think the game would be called Grip but instead drift.

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:33 am

Wait, a 2x Enige power mod?
how could i overlook this?
Hype up to 11!

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:49 pm

Yrch wrote:Wait, a 2x Enige power mod?
how could i overlook this?
Hype up to 11!

Neo mode confirmed?

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:22 pm

Btw, I really hope you can give us the early access build before the November 30th :D

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:58 am

Roq wrote:I always imagined that the wheels aren't physically connected to the axles, but ride on a cushion of magnetic energy, making them essentially frictionless. The cars just move forward thanks to the rear thrust rather than any actual power being put through the wheels. The magnetic system controls the breaks - think mag-lev tech. I know this doesn't fully account for the energy in those wheels being able to instantaneously rotate in the opposite direction, but it's the best compromise my brain could come up with. Also, sorry for the thread derail :/

They do actually put power into the wheels (at least in the Rollcage 1 / Stage II games they do). They wouldn't be able to reverse otherwise. :P

/killjoy

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:41 pm

The wheels are magnetised, hovering around the axle, so they're free to rotate either forwards or backwards, and also have suspension that works both ways (theoretically of course). The rear thrusters mainly propel the car forward. Then there's the matter of reversing... but we don't talk about that :P
Game Director
GRIP

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:39 pm

Chris_CE wrote:The wheels are magnetised, hovering around the axle, so they're free to rotate either forwards or backwards, and also have suspension that works both ways (theoretically of course). The rear thrusters mainly propel the car forward. Then there's the matter of reversing... but we don't talk about that :P

I always thought that GRIP was short for "Gravtiy Reversal Influx Pulse", you know, that system that makes the cars go reverse by Reversing the Influx Pulses that affect the Gravitational forces...

And breaks either work via mag-lock wich, of course, does an awesome spark/electrical effect or some counter-thrusters and breakwings (knight rider style) will flap open and strop the car, right ;) ?

Return to “Announcements”