!!!UPDATED!!! NEED TESTERS TODAY (AGAIN)! - 1.0.7 Feedback

Official Announcements about Grip
Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

!!!UPDATED!!! NEED TESTERS TODAY (AGAIN)! - 1.0.7 Feedback

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:15 pm

The new version of patch 1.0.7 is up on the private branch in Steam.

Here's the full changelist for 1.0.7: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=878

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We've just put 1.0.7 on the Private release branch with a pretty significant change to steering and difficulty.

Things to look out for:

Difficulty level (Race setup menu - Low, Medium, High) - this now controls vehicle speed and AI aggressiveness.

Sensitivity level (Game options menu - Low, Medium, High) - this is an experimental change that we really need feedback on. It's not exactly sensitivity but more like gradual response time for controllers. We'd like to change this to affect the actual steering rate, instead. But we'd still like to hear your thoughts on it's current state

Industrial: Many areas of the map have been revamped with blocking volumes to create better flow, keeping people on the track

Recommended settings to start with is having both difficulty and sensitivity set to medium. This is most like 1.0.6. Then you can tweak from there. Sensitivity on low is not recommended as it straight up sucks, but you can try it.

Any feedback today is appreciated, before we take this off Private and back into our internal testing.

PLEASE DO NOT POST VIDEOS OF THIS RELEASE YET. THANK YOU
Game Director
GRIP

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: !!!NEED TESTERS TODAY!!! - 1.0.7 Feedback

Postby landvaarder » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:33 pm

Just gave this a quick try, and dear god do I like the high sensitivity...
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:33 pm

Actually, another big change is the car feels a bit more stable at high speeds now, as it's more solid when colliding with objects. It won't spin, flip or rotate nearly as much.

Let us know what you think!

And proper patch notes will be coming with this next release, so you can read about all the things we've done to consciously look for them if you want

EDIT: Land the ninja. Yes Broscar loves it as well
Game Director
GRIP

RiptoR
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby RiptoR » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:02 pm

Handling feels a lot better indeed. I'm loving it.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but the hud is cut off on the right side at 16:10 resolutions during a race (menu looks fine). Has been like this since the game went Early Access.

Similii
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Similii » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:09 pm

I actually love the High Sensitivity!!!! But I think you can keep the low tier to the tank, because it's make feel that the car is much heavier.
If you want to be grammar nazi to me, just do it, that will improve my english :3

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:22 pm

So i downloaded a 329MB update but it still says 1.0.6.0 in the bottom right corner? :?:
The features like sensitivity are in there, as well as some improfments in industrial though. Speed settings are also gone.
I like the changes that were done. The hard difficulty is nice :D
Last edited by TheOnLY on Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:23 pm

Im gonna say this. Its slow. and cars handle like toys in my opinion. Now they can go through every corner with ease, no skill required xD but its only me bitching about difficulty. like always. Well, atleast scrubs will get what they want...

BTW. I Played on hard with low sensitivity...

EDIT.1 NEVERMIND! I PLAYED WITH CATCH-UP ON f*ck my brain... i forgot about it...
Last edited by WROB3L on Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:27 pm

At first I thought the update made the game worse. But then I realized I was on low sensitivity. The cars feel pretty great. They handle pretty well and feel fast on hard. Only issue is how the car bounces around sometimes when landing seemingly perfectly. Did a double forward flip once.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:31 pm

After a few test runs on YI:
High sens. all the way! Feels really really good once you get the feel for it.
not too twitchy but sensible enough to make tiny adjustments to your racing line.

Low sens. just feels clunky, while med sens. feels like a good way to introduce new players too the game. Not too slow, not too twitchy.

About diff/speed:
Low is okay, its not very far from med but for me personaly its too slow.
Med is perfect so far and hits a nice spot in terms of acceleration and top speed, specially with high sens. it feels very good.
High is no real fun imo, not because of the speed but because it feels like the tracks and physics arent really made for it.

gotta play around with the settings a little more but High sens. and Med speed are the way to go :)

Sigrid
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Sigrid » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:55 pm

Okay i just tried this, so here's how i felt about this:

-On low sensitivity it feels like you put a drunk pilot in the car. Your brain says "Steer now!" and your hands execute the order with a delay. I managed to drive but it took me almost an entire lap to get used to it.

-On high sensitivity the car was really nice to control when i had to make emergency manoeuvres, but i really had a hard time having smooth trajectories, so in the end i did not like it so much.

-Medium sensitivity is, in my opinion, the best compromise: the car is still really responsive to your command when you need to take a turn or make an evasive action, and it allows you to drive clean without having to change your underwear everytime you turn left or right. It's the best setting for me.

And as Chris said, the car fells more stable and that's really more comfortable.

Once again, great job guys!

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:01 pm

Sigrid wrote:-Medium sensitivity is, in my opinion, the best compromise: the car is still really responsive to your command when you need to take a turn or make an evasive action, and it allows you to drive clean without having to change your underwear everytime you turn left or right. It's the best setting for me.

I feel the same. The car is too twitchy, which lead to a lot of mid-air spins. I also drive like a drunk, always steering left and right.

tjgcrush
#1 Tester
#1 Tester

Postby tjgcrush » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:15 pm

Im liking how this is going so far the sensitivity is really fun and challenging on high when i play on hard "all the time"
the handling is alot better and reminds me of rollcage :p

keep up the great work :)
And with his chrome V8 toys
Immortan Joe created the WarBoys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIyRXvHmXxo

Xirahii

Postby Xirahii » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:22 pm

My initial impressions after playing a couple races on each track (first impressions, mind you; will get some more if the beta's still up later on) -

I was concerned about how drastic the jump from medium sensitivity to high sensitivity would feel, but was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't quite as jerky as I expected. On Hard (HIGH) speeds AND high sensitivity, however, things got weird.. I made sure to start on Medium sensitivity, though, so I had something to go on.

While there were occasions where the physics didn't want to cooperate with the high speeds throughout, Wastelands was the only track that I had a legitimately bad time with. The first tunnel following the starting line consistently made me flip midway through if I was driving on the "ground", but I worked around it by always going on the ceiling or the upper walls. Secondly, the ramp that smacks your car up against that brief platform with the two power-ups I found kind of weird, as well. Sometimes it worked out alright, other times I flipped right back off without explanation. I'll hopefully record more gameplay footage later on which'll cover other parts that are too obscure to explain effectively.

The speed itself feels great, but it feels like the tracks don't agree.

As for the cars' reaction to collisions and the fix-ups to the Yuri Industrial boundary lines (which the high sens & high speed gave me ample opportunity to test out...) - all steps in the right direction, methinks! I'm still able to lose control if I screw up, definitely, but the cars react a little closer to how you'd expect them to considering their weight and whatnot. It felt more natural to me.

Appreciated the addition of the two power-ups on the wall of the 2nd tunnel in Yuri, by the way. Fits right into my route. XD Although, while a minor nitpick, I felt they were a little cramped together. Unless you wanted it to be an instant pick-up (x2) sorta thing, in which case, awesome!

Very cool to see the progress made and these changes. Your work is amazing. Great stuff!

Raion
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Raion » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:29 pm

Whoa, playing on Easy\Low feels as if the cars were flux pinned to the track.

Medium Sentivity feels nice, as well as does the snappy maneoverability of High Sensitivity when having to recover... from spinning out due to how delicate it is (and I definitely don't have enough sensibility to fine tune the turn radius on such a narrow travel space as the thumb stick).

I need more time with it to formulate better feedback, but as a general gut feeling, it seems as if the gravity is higher: sometimes, for instance hitting a bump with only one wheel will raise the car at an angle slightly, and then it will be harshly pulled back toward the ground, which makes for better control certainly, but also looks... off.

Also had an old school bouncy landing as Yellow did, on Med\Med.

Finally, found floating geometry:
Spoiler: show

The Sudden Silent
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby The Sudden Silent » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:50 pm

1.0.6.0 specifically, drivability was in my opinion the best so far obeyed the car really well guidance and steering control was so accurate. sensitivity and stiffness were just in balance.

Now that these adjustments began to try out the car began to control feels slippery and jagged.

if these should now choose someone would take control between the low and medium.

UPPDATED
Last edited by The Sudden Silent on Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:53 pm

OK thanks so much for the feedback so far guys. Sounds like overall these are positive changes

We will be looking more at the sensitivity settings before we go public, and see if we can offer more options, as well as improved on how the steering is affected.

A couple notes:

-gravity has not changed. The only difference in physics reactions is the car's angular velocity is now limited to a lower number - meaning that it's less likely to flip, rotate or spin violently when it hits something.

-The bouncy bug is always going to persist until we find out why PhysX is making it happen. Could be a month from now until that's fixed. I'll do everything I can in the levels to minimize it though

-The version number in the menu wasn't changed. Forgot about it in our rabid scrambling to get this patch out to you

-The HUD gets cut off in any res other than 16x9, yep. This will be fixed ASAP

Xirahii wrote:While there were occasions where the physics didn't want to cooperate with the high speeds throughout, Wastelands was the only track that I had a legitimately bad time with. The first tunnel following the starting line consistently made me flip midway through if I was driving on the "ground", but I worked around it by always going on the ceiling or the upper walls. Secondly, the ramp that smacks your car up against that brief platform with the two power-ups I found kind of weird, as well. Sometimes it worked out alright, other times I flipped right back off without explanation. I'll hopefully record more gameplay footage later on which'll cover other parts that are too obscure to explain effectively

Do you mean it seems like it hits something, or catches on geometry while driving through the tunnel? This is an ongoing issue, and i cannot for the life of me figure out why it's happening. Nor why sometimes in tunnels the car has zero traction. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it soon
Game Director
GRIP

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:54 pm

First of all I wish to say: please separate ai difficulty and the engine power settings, I really liked that it was separate when I started playing Grip and I don't see the point of combining them, more player choice the better.

I like the new choices for sensitivity, low feels pretty bad but medium and high suits me well.

I love the new collisions, nice to not fly away whenever you hit a wall or obstacle :)

As the others have said, the car is a little twitchy so you very easily spin in the air if you don't come at an 100% straight angly when jumping, feels a lot like rollcage 1 which some might like.

If it's not too much to ask, please make the start button function like the escape button as it currently doesn't do anything.
And please add controller support to the menu sometime ^^
You're just a voice pal.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:00 pm

Good point about separating AI from speed. I'll talk internally about it

You should be able to press "start" to pause the game now. works on my x360 pad. But the mouse is still mandatory in the pause menu, which we need to change
Game Director
GRIP

Xirahii

Postby Xirahii » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:09 pm

Chris_CE wrote:
Xirahii wrote:While there were occasions where the physics didn't want to cooperate with the high speeds throughout, Wastelands was the only track that I had a legitimately bad time with. The first tunnel following the starting line consistently made me flip midway through if I was driving on the "ground", but I worked around it by always going on the ceiling or the upper walls. Secondly, the ramp that smacks your car up against that brief platform with the two power-ups I found kind of weird, as well. Sometimes it worked out alright, other times I flipped right back off without explanation. I'll hopefully record more gameplay footage later on which'll cover other parts that are too obscure to explain effectively

Do you mean it seems like it hits something, or catches on geometry while driving through the tunnel? This is an ongoing issue, and i cannot for the life of me figure out why it's happening. Nor why sometimes in tunnels the car has zero traction. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it soon

It feels closer to the car catching on something than it does outright hitting an object. I imagine it's like I'm hitting an EXTREMELY small pothole in the road that's just significant enough to completely flip my car out of whack because of how fast I'm going.

And more rarely I'll also experience a jump that I land on Yuri Industrial completely flip me over to face the wrong way and that feels something reminiscent of the car hitting the ground hard, then having its nose propelled back from underneath.

Like I said, hopefully I'll get some videos out later since I feel explaining is more vague than actual visual feedback in these cases.

Similii
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Similii » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:20 pm

I agree on separating AI and speed! Feels more logic for me and better to play!
If you want to be grammar nazi to me, just do it, that will improve my english :3

Return to “Announcements”