!!!UPDATED!!! NEED TESTERS TODAY (AGAIN)! - 1.0.7 Feedback

Official Announcements about Grip
Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: !!!NEED TESTERS TODAY!!! - 1.0.7 Feedback

Postby Broscar » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:30 pm

Dumping feedback here by request <3

• Love that the boost now kicks in at a lower speed.
  • Industrial does indeed flow a bit better. Mianly noticeable on the exit of the U-turn tunnel (I can now boost like a dumbass off the wall without launching myself into the open map).
  • Low sensitivity sucks, ironically because it steers too much at low speeds and the delay between player action->game reaction is too great.
  • Menu font is terrible.
  • High steering sensitivity is f*cking awesome, mainly because it allows you to drive the car reliably at 500kp/h!
    Unfortunately, it's probably not nooby-friendly and only good for Rollcage veterans. Still, I think this kind of handling model is pretty much required for high-speed gameplay.
  • Landing the cars keep getting better each patch. In this patch, I regain control quite fast and the cars don't have the tendency to slide so that their rears end up facing forward anymore. Works pretty damn great now.
  • [20:29:47] Broscar: I really like the change to limit angular velocity.
    [20:31:27] Broscar: It's a bit overpowered in it's current iteration, but I think people will like that the game plays a lot smoother now (aka you can be sloppy as hell and just bump off of rocks all over the place without punishment :P
    And taking the upper part in Alahtra Wastes right before the antenna graveyard is actually a viable strategy in 1.0.7 thanks to your change. In 1.0.6 I never took it because it was too damn easy to lose control due to it's bumpiness.
[18:57:19] Broscar: I'm hype as f*ck now, though. I wait about a lap when the race starts just so I get to race at 500kp/h with high steering sensitivity, which feels AMAZING. I'm talking 'yeaaaah! This is the sequel I've been waiting all these years for!'

----

Praise Rob, our saviour in times of combat racing draught.
He who is one with the code, giveth us amazing gameplay, fond memories and excitement galore.
I welcome you all, to the Church of Baker.
Be free. Be fast.

Spoiler: show
dont worry chris
ur okay 2

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:32 pm

I would like to point out the effect of Catch-Up : this makes the game a lot easier.

With Catchup on, you take the lead very damn fast, and once you have it, it's very hard to lose it

With Catchup off, the game is very challenging. Back to the same kind of challenge as 1.0.5 on High.
Either you're lucky enough to take the lead very fast, and then you just have to minimize your crashes, dump everything but turbo, and go as fast as possible.
Eventually you will get hit by 1 or 2 assassins.. Or not. (which are by the way only consistent on Alhatra so far. They crash quite often before reaching their target on Industrial and Transport. Or at least that's my impression)

If you're not lucky enough to be first fast enough, you have to race for 2-3 laps without crashing, and then you might catch up with the first.

But otherwise it's really a great patch to see some high speed coming back ;)
Time to resurrect these best lap challenges :D

PS : High sensitivity ftw
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:56 pm

I know it's been said but I'm gonna say it again: Don't make difficulty and speed linked. I'm glad High speed is back, though!

High steering sensitivity is PERFECT at lower speeds, but too much at higher speeds. Perhaps make steering sensitivity scale in such a manner that at low speeds it turns like current High, but at high speeds it turns like current Medium?

Overall, I feel like this is an improvement, definitely a step in the right direction. Just a slightly wobbly step.

Also, gonna have to agree with Broscar: the menu font is awful. I like the idea of making it look a little "rough," but this is way overboard.

EDIT: Also, due to the finnicky handling from 1.0.5 returning, the same issue has returned as well: It is extremely difficult to take a lead, and extremely easy to maintain a lead. If you can break out of the pack before the end of the first lap, you're golden. If you're not in the lead after lap 1, you're never going to see 1st place for the rest of the race.
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:40 pm

Thanks for relaying the feedback here, Broscar and Potty

wantfastcars wrote:I know it's been said but I'm gonna say it again: Don't make difficulty and speed linked. I'm glad High speed is back, though!

High steering sensitivity is PERFECT at lower speeds, but too much at higher speeds. Perhaps make steering sensitivity scale in such a manner that at low speeds it turns like current High, but at high speeds it turns like current Medium?

Also, gonna have to agree with Broscar: the menu font is awful. I like the idea of making it look a little "rough," but this is way overboard.

EDIT: Also, due to the finnicky handling from 1.0.5 returning, the same issue has returned as well: It is extremely difficult to take a lead, and extremely easy to maintain a lead. If you can break out of the pack before the end of the first lap, you're golden. If you're not in the lead after lap 1, you're never going to see 1st place for the rest of the race.

-The AI and car speed could be separate again, yea. Probably makes more sense.

-I tend to agree with the sensitivity being a bit twitchy at high speed. We'll see about offering more options, and possibly tweaking sensitivity so it stays high at low speed.

-Menu font change is definitely not staying

Your edit puzzles me a bit, in that we have reinstated nothing from 1.0.5, including the handling. I do agree though that it's hard to keep the pack together. Rob will be working more on that Monday, but he's made good progress already. That is strictly AI behavior though.
Game Director
GRIP

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:59 pm

The Sudden Silent wrote:1.0.6.0 specifically, drivability was in my opinion the best so far obeyed the car really well guidance and steering control was so accurate. sensitivity and stiffness were just in balance.

Now that these adjustments began to try out the car began to control feels slippery and jagged.

if these should now choose someone would take control between the low and medium.

If you set sensitivity and difficulty to medium, the gameplay should be very similar to 1.0.6, with the only difference being the more stable car because of the maximum angular velocity being lower
Game Director
GRIP

Falkerz
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Falkerz » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:40 pm

I am genuinely confused. Do I need to rejoin the private beta or or something? Half the stuff being said makes no sense to me, as I haven't seen it, but have seen the improvements to Yuri a bit.
"Tired are we, the few who battle endlessly, against the never ceasing sound, of inevitability..."

HikikomoriGamer
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby HikikomoriGamer » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:04 pm

Sensitivity level HIGH is the best for me!

I'm not a good player like Potty so don't consider my feedback as valuable but I think in the old version I could do better. In this one my car tends to fly more of the track :( I think it's just me in a bad day or something. I could only win 1st in medium still working on hard!

And yeah please separate difficult from speed!

If you guys can add full controller support that would be great! My back is starting to hurt from the need to reach my mouse to select menu options. Some ppl will get angry with this as they don't love you guys like I do hahaha

Thanks for the pause button on the controller! But I have a idea: When you press the pause button on the controller you can only pause! So please make it a second press unpause the game! I think pressing the acceleration button on the controller and holding it would be great too for a unpause cause you can pause and return to the game already accelerating.
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M-D3H
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
RAM: 8GB

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:34 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Your edit puzzles me a bit, in that we have reinstated nothing from 1.0.5, including the handling. I do agree though that it's hard to keep the pack together. Rob will be working more on that Monday, but he's made good progress already. That is strictly AI behavior though.

Ah, I should have specified. I don't mean the exact handling model, I just mean that "High" sensitivity feels more like 1.0.5's handling than 1.0.6's.
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

HikikomoriGamer
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby HikikomoriGamer » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:39 pm

Managed to win a race on hard! Well still suck and I lose more than I win but yeah! One good thing about being bad is that every race is intense :)

Still sometimes I hate myself so much that I hurt myself:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... EFFB8DC6B/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... BCEC14EBD/

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:00 pm

Just...how?
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:06 am

New patch incoming with customization for handling, speed and difficulty guys, so hold tight.

I've also greatly improved the boundaries and flow of the Transport track

Falkerz wrote:I am genuinely confused. Do I need to rejoin the private beta or or something? Half the stuff being said makes no sense to me, as I haven't seen it, but have seen the improvements to Yuri a bit.

Should be good to go Falkerz. Make sure you've got "private" selected in the beta options in the properties for GRIP in Steam

HikikomoriGamer wrote:If you guys can add full controller support that would be great! My back is starting to hurt from the need to reach my mouse to select menu options. Some ppl will get angry with this as they don't love you guys like I do hahaha

Thanks for the pause button on the controller! But I have a idea: When you press the pause button on the controller you can only pause! So please make it a second press unpause the game! I think pressing the acceleration button on the controller and holding it would be great too for a unpause cause you can pause and return to the game already accelerating.

Yeah we're about to assign escape and start button to unpause the game as well.

As for full controller support, UE4 unfortunately doesn't make doing that very easy in their stock UI setup. Unless we're doing something wrong. This is something that really needs to be in the game though, so we're looking into it

wantfastcars wrote:Ah, I should have specified. I don't mean the exact handling model, I just mean that "High" sensitivity feels more like 1.0.5's handling than 1.0.6's.

Gotcha
Game Director
GRIP

bockadilla

Postby bockadilla » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:10 am

So I turned the private beta back on (didn't realise there'd still be newer versions for private) and it's saying in the menu that I'm still using 1.0.6, though the menu font has changed, the turbo boost can be used earlier and there's new items on some tracks.

The new sensitivity options are working quite well too by the way, only tried low and high though.

HikikomoriGamer
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby HikikomoriGamer » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:12 am

Chris_CE wrote:
HikikomoriGamer wrote:If you guys can add full controller support that would be great! My back is starting to hurt from the need to reach my mouse to select menu options. Some ppl will get angry with this as they don't love you guys like I do hahaha

Yeah we're about to assign escape and start button to unpause the game as well.

As for full controller support, UE4 unfortunately doesn't make doing that very easy in their stock UI setup. Unless we're doing something wrong. This is something that really needs to be in the game though, so we're looking into it

I understand and what I'm about to say may be funny and even stupid for pros like you guys but I'm thinking here... can't you guys make something like JoyToKey but with codes into the engine and get the keys that you press on the keyboard translate into the controller? I mean it's just the menu you don't need to do it properly as it need to be in the race at least for now! Anyway not the end of the world for me but would be nice to get full controller support :)

can't wait for the next patch thanks a lot man! :)

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:45 am

yellowquiet wrote:Just...how?

Seeing all this positive feedback, really can't wait to get those changes in the public release. Then again, it's kind of strange getting into Early Access and there still being "Private builds". On the other side, not everyone understand that EA isn't an actually released product and things just plain out doesn't work often.

PS. The tunnel in the Alhatra Wastes, even on 1.06 I could get stuck/obliterated there, especially when I was using Turbo. It seems like the cars clip through the left wall (at the corner bit mostly) clips at some point when the speed is high enough. This screwed me up quite few times, though it screws up Assassins more often xD

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:23 am

@Ryu Makkuro

I think its really a good idea to have a privat and a stable release on steam. A lot people out there are less forgiving then we are and on steam there are all kinds of noobs and just plain mad folks.

Chris_CE wrote:And proper patch notes will be coming with this next release, so you can read about all the things we've done to consciously look for them if you want

Thats highly appreciated :D

The Driving experience is now way better with the higher steering sensitivity. The best thing is that jumps and bumping in the enviroment is way more forgiving now. I am feeling that im more in control now. Please note that im playing on an ordinary (shity) keyboard.

At wastes it was maybe less responsive or its maybe that on hard difficulty with high sensitivity the sensitivity doesnt really work that well.

Being in a small tunnel and having to turn 180° (also at wastes) is really a pain in the ass, more than it should be.

Strangly the higher sensitivity doesnt make me a better driver. But im fighting now more against the other racers and less against the track. And thats a good thing. 8-)

Oh and even if you didnt touched that i think the turn radius should be smaller.

Edit: Tried using a better keyboard (das keyboard ultimate) seems to be a bit better but not sure.

Can it be that you upgraded the AI? I suck so hard even on "easy" and it seems much faster now. But then again i also stoped using catch assist.

By the way i noticed that different car colors also come with slightly different lamps setup. Thats a nice touch.

Not very important but when in the pause menu we should have access to the key layout.

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:02 am

I didn't realise there was a thread and an update. @_@ Must have missed it on Steam.

Quick feedback ((NDA pending lol))

* Steering sensitivity options are greatly appreciated. High feels nice - very difficult to control, I'm having to baby the analog stick like in Rollcage, but with future tweaks to this and to car grip/handling that's bound to happen as the game develops, this is promising.

* Please separate AI difficulty and game difficulty again. ;)

* Development to the catchup is interesting (and believe it or not - expected). Not going to spoil what's going on, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. The differences in top speed between being far ahead and far behind probably should be toned down a little? on High difficulty I can often be stuck at 390-410 km/h if I get a good lead, and then be going at 520+ in last.

Spoiler: show
The catchup should be weighted towards making cars at the back of the grid easier to drive, I think. You guys have definitely taken a huge step in the right direction with that though. ;)

* I got stuck in the right wall of the entrance to the U-turn tunnel on Industrial ... on Easy difficulty. :x

* As a few other people have mentioned, the car has a habit of just bonking off the ceiling-ride near the start of Alhatra Wastes on High difficulty. The shortcut tunnel just after is also super-squirrelly for some reason.

* The Aegis is clipping into the ground. I don't know if this is new or not, I haven't really noticed it before.

* The changes to blocking volumes on Industrial are good, I think. I'm annoyed that I can't follow that side-road at the end of the lap though (goes off to some building, cheeky buggers ;) I'm just griping because of the detail of the scenery). Honestly though, I think we should be able to punt cars into that big factory that's on the downhill slope after the first tunnel. To me it feels a little strange that such a huge set-piece is right alongside the track and yet we can't drive into it/smash any of it. I can understand it's blocked off because the AI probably can't get out of it though.

But in terms of keeping the cars on the track they work wonders.

* Transport is scary at 600km/h. Just saying. ;)

* The changes to the limits of the car's angular velocity seem to have made them spin less when being hit by weapons, notably mines. 95% of the mines I've hit the car now just spins 180, instead of flipping up into the air. Just some feedback; maybe the limit can be overridden on a weapon hit? I know the cars are basically tanks but y'know, the occasional silly barrel roll here-or-there always looks funny ;)

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:46 am

Django wrote:@Ryu Makkuro

I think its really a good idea to have a privat and a stable release on steam. A lot people out there are less forgiving then we are and on steam there are all kinds of noobs and just plain mad folks.

Agreed, though it would be nice if those that got in through Steam Early Access could also opt for the Beta builds. It's an option after all, so those "noobs and mad folks" usually never realise there's such a thing as "Properties" xD

Roq
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Roq » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:27 pm

Ironically, despite all my issues with 1.0.5 and 1.0.6 steering and general sluggishness, I'm not a fan of the high sensitivity option. This is mainly because I figured out what the issues were and sorted them so 1.0.6 was feeling perfect for me.

The high sensitivity changes, to me, make the cars feel like RC cars (roll-cage or radio controlled - take your pick) and I'd say don't confuse the player-base having an easier time with what makes a good challenging race that needs to be mastered over time.

I'd also say that these high sensitivity cars do have a place, but as higher level unlock vehicles in a campaign mode or just a flate out different car class rather than an option for all class types from the start. At this point, it's hard to imagine how different cars are going to differ from each other except for speed given how much we can change in the options.

Agree with what others have said regarding the feeling that you just can't capture the lead pack unless you're in front after the first turn, or caught if you are first for a while. Need more Boost pick-ups when you're nearer the back of the pack maybe?

What's with the new menu font? make it larger if you're going to rough it up more to maintain readability. Still hate the UI style :P

Tiakh
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Postby Tiakh » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:25 pm

Accidently found some way to fall out of the map on industrial. Made a short vid.

For the handling i need to test a bit more. But the physik seems to get better and better, though there are still these random bounces of the ground after landing (with speed on high).

NecroWolf12
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby NecroWolf12 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:06 pm

So, my thoughts are about 1.0.7 and a few other random things that work better as one post instead of being spread across threads

The handling in 1.0.7 feels great. The high sensitivity definitely feels best. At low speed and at high speed. Feels really responsive. It must be really hard balancing how difficult the cars are to drive, I imagine. There needs to be some element of challenge to driving them since they're these are huge, hulking beasts, but I believe that since this is a combat racer, the weapons should be the main thing that makes you lose control as opposed to the car handling. If one spends too much time fighting their own car, it kind of defeats the purpose of having weapons, I think. But the current direction of something driveable, but still with a tangible weighty feeling seems like the best compromise. It would be weird if these things turned and accelerated like F1 cars. Keeping the option of different sensitivity settings would be cool though.

The way the cars react on landing and in collisions also feels a lot better. I can confidently come out of a tunnel on the roof and not have to hope that I spin or crash into the barrier. And colliding with other cars no longer feels like the end of the world.

At some point would it be possible to change the assassin to go past the lead car then turn back like in RC2? I really loved how that was done then and it would be awesome to see here.

Also, is there a best way to time the launch at the beginning of the race? Is there some sort of plan for like, a boost if you time your launch well?

Finally, one of the songs(I don't know how to check the names) has a part with a beeping noise that makes me think I'm being targeted by a missile. I wouldn't know how that would get sorted out though :/

But overall. Good job with the game guys. It's really coming along well and I'm really excited to see what's coming. Waiting for new content is killing me a little, though >.<. Keep up the good work!
"Hollow the leader"

Return to “Announcements”