!!!UPDATED!!! NEED TESTERS TODAY (AGAIN)! - 1.0.7 Feedback

Official Announcements about Grip
Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: !!!NEED TESTERS TODAY!!! - 1.0.7 Feedback

Postby Queadah » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:06 pm

Aside from having the difficulty associated with the speed which confused me for a sec, I found med and high sens were different yet comfortable playing styles through both med and high speed.

Very smooth, only the maps would need tweaking for better flow at this point. I felt much in control. As for low sens, it feels heavier yet totally legit and seems to provide a more "prudent", steadier and stable ride. As someone mentioned above, I wouldn't be shocked if those different sensitivities were tied to class tiers!!

We're totally there :D

Raion
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Raion » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:16 pm

Roq wrote:Still hate the UI style :P

Yes, that menu has to go. I was gonna wait to complain about that later in development when higher priority work was done, but this last update changed my mind. Especially this early in the cycle, when we're gonna go back and forth racing and changing various combinations of different settings to test, having to wade through nested menus with slow transitions is becoming increasingly annoying.
I don't know about any of you, but I play on my pc, I don't need the interface to be scaled up to be visible from a TV; what I need is every setting visible and accessible on the same screen, there's plenty of space for it.
I understand, it's gonna look very bad and "unfinished" or whatever, so I'm willing to reach a compromise: "iamalazybastard" into a debug page, where I can change anything and hit "Race" and that's it.

I mean, if it's no trouble, it's not like I'm demanding things because I feel somehow entitled to have my opinion heard or anything...

nakano

Postby nakano » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:32 pm

Medium and high sensitivity works well. I wouldn't even mind trying ultra sensitivity class tier which turn rate would be very twitchy not roundy; regardless of speed they would be able to turn super smoothly with minimum speed loss. But for general feel, medium/high sensitivity are probably the way to go.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:11 pm

Unfortunately, all the physics problems with the car catching on invisible things in tunnels or bouncing/stopping dead on terrain is because of PhysX. Rob needs to dig deep for this stuff, so it will be a while. We're trying to make the driving as good as we can in the meantime. Sorry I had to highlight that but I see people saying the same thing over and over. This bug has been present for like 6 months and we absolutely hate it :/

Just a heads up on what's coming:

• Steering speed options (response time)
  • Steering sensitivity options (how much the car turns due to input)
  • Difficulty settings
  • Engine power settings (3)
  • Tweaked catch-up and AI speed + aggressiveness for difficulty levels
  • Better boundaries in Transport + smoother terrain in certain sections of Alhatra

I'm trying to see if I can fix this damn issue in tunnels or wall splines where the car catches on seemingly nothing, but I'm having no luck so far. Also trying to fix the no-traction-in-tunnels thing that makes turning in the small rock tunnels a giant pain in the ass

@KMac: That industrial complex at the bottom of the hill was a bit thrown together. I don't like that area in general - I think it's pretty ugly. Once we've got some nicer assets in the game I'll be replacing a lot of stuff in Industrial. Visuals only, nothing to do with track design

As for Mines having more of an effect... they are already pretty frustrating when you hit one. I think having the car fly around more will make them OP. But it could be tweaked

@Ryu: You're probably right about only the more hardcore Steam users wanting to be part of the private beta, but I think we'll keep it private still.

@Roq: You know you can change sensitivity in the options, right? Low sensitivity is exactly the same as 1.0.6 driving model. Rob confirmed this last night.

@Tiakh: Thanks, I'll fix that.

@Necro: Yeah, that's the plan with the assassin, it just hasn't been done yet. Won't be easy, with how smart and more realistic the missiles are now. In rollcage the leader just flipped around, didn't even turn. That would look weird in GRIP

There's no starting line boost timing yet (if there will be)

That song is Solidify probably. But it's not changing :P
Game Director
GRIP

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:14 pm

Raion wrote:Yes, that menu has to go. I was gonna wait to complain about that later in development when higher priority work was done, but this last update changed my mind. Especially this early in the cycle, when we're gonna go back and forth racing and changing various combinations of different settings to test, having to wade through nested menus with slow transitions is becoming increasingly annoying.
I don't know about any of you, but I play on my pc, I don't need the interface to be scaled up to be visible from a TV; what I need is every setting visible and accessible on the same screen, there's plenty of space for it.
I understand, it's gonna look very bad and "unfinished" or whatever, so I'm willing to reach a compromise: "iamalazybastard" into a debug page, where I can change anything and hit "Race" and that's it.

None of us like the menu. Unfortunately, Unreal's stock menu system is really half baked, therefore we want to do a menu from scratch.

I'll see what I can do about getting it more intuitive in the meantime though.
Game Director
GRIP

HikikomoriGamer
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby HikikomoriGamer » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:31 pm

I came back to non private version and the game is downloading some files again! Is this a new version or it's just downloading again the non private release?

If it's the later can't you guys make some kind of backup so it preserves the old files and I can change between the private and non private without any downloads?

EDIT: Got stuck at 10% :( can use only the private version now!
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M-D3H
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
RAM: 8GB

maniamaster
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby maniamaster » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:37 pm

I am in love with the high sensitivity option! The races I have driven today were some of the best this game has offered until now! In earlier versions the ai was way too easy and races felt kind of boring but now I can have a legitimate fight until the very end

I also enjoy that the cars don't flip around as much, although I have had some instances were I expected a huge crash / flip and instead my car was just casually sliding with its front nose over the wall until it was alligned again, which felt really awkward. Maybe you could make them slightly more lightweight in that regard. Although that last point can be adressed by the different classes of vehicles.

I still think that the catchup assist is still too 50/50. It isn't fun to lead the pack only to be slowed down by a ridiculous amount. I would much rather prefer constant assasin spam than knowing that I now have less fun because I'm first. In my opinion this could be adressed by improving the pickups. Especially the normal rockets have a really hard time homing in correctly in this patch, for some reason. The assasin can obviously be more intelligent since it constantly fails traversing certain areas, e.g. the frst tunnel in the new liddo 5 track.

I would be very glad if there were somehow the possibility of making the game more tense without the catchup assist, as it's my biggest gripe with this game until now. I also dislike the idea mentioned above to make your car easier to drive when behind. If possible you shouldn't tinker with the physics / performance of the cars mid game as it ruins consistency.

Raion
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Raion » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:41 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Unfortunately, Unreal's stock menu system is really half baked

Oh, I didn't realize it was an UEngine template.

Uhm.
Well.
*Cough*
Whenever you get around to it, then.
Thanks.

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:44 pm

Ok, after trying the high sensitivity and high difficulty on Asthara and Yuri, here are my conclusions:
- high difficulty/engine speed feels pretty much about right when it comes to high-end content. Maybe slightly bit faster so we have to use brakes and be mindful of our lines that bit more than now

- high sensitivity is great, but what would be even better if we could set that from a certain speed the sensitivity begins to lower, so that's easier to turn slightly at higher speeds. Something like a power steering I suppose.

- what would be the best is if we could configure deadzone, sensitivity, saturation and linearity of the controls along with being able to set up our own sensitivity "degradation" depending on the speed of the car. For example, I would like to start degrading sensitivity from about 300km/h to 450km/h. With initial being 100% sensitivity while at the max speed it would be 70%-75%.

- I like the improved pickup placement on Yuri, definitely falls more with the flow of the track

- Finally not scared of bumping into opponents, now I can actually survive some impacts with them, yippie \o/

- AI likes to drive straight into a wall for no apparent reason. Not very healthy for lap times/competition

- The buttons that indicate that are selected/pushed should be the illuminated ones IMO. It feels so unintuitive when the "unlit" ones are the actually selected ones. Maybe a stroke with a glow around the selected buttons to give a pushed button effect to them and inform more that "this is the selected option"? A quick fix for the UI at least until the menu will get a proper revision of course

- The clipping on the wall and bouncing off the ceiling seems to occur at high speeds, so if it is PhysX cause, then maybe we reach a speed at which it PhysX tries to apply some impact algorithms? As in if we were hit by a missile or something. Just thinking out loud to help with pointing out the cause.

That's pretty much about it for now. I assume that because the sensitivity is a settings in Options, not race setup, that it's based on controller settings (keyboard, wheel, gamepad, etc.). In that case I'm simply waiting for a dedicated window for just everything controllers related, aka key binding, FFB etc.

maniamaster wrote:I still think that the catchup assist is still too 50/50. It isn't fun to lead the pack only to be slowed down by a ridiculous amount. I would much rather prefer constant assasin spam than knowing that I now have less fun because I'm first. In my opinion this could be adressed by improving the pickups. Especially the normal rockets have a really hard time homing in correctly in this patch, for some reason. The assasin can obviously be more intelligent since it constantly fails traversing certain areas, e.g. the frst tunnel in the new liddo 5 track.

I would be very glad if there were somehow the possibility of making the game more tense without the catchup assist, as it's my biggest gripe with this game until now. I also dislike the idea mentioned above to make your car easier to drive when behind. If possible you shouldn't tinker with the physics / performance of the cars mid game as it ruins consistency.

Oh and agree with this 100%. Generally speaking, catch up is a bad game design by default, just like leaderboards as a main form for online competition.
It's not to say that the solution to catch up issue is easy, but definitely worth putting the effort in. Besides, the most hardcore here will be fighting it out in online mode, AI in SP should be more about learning the game and progressing through it. As to better solution than leaderboards... ladders. The only way racing truly works is when you race against other people, not time.

ristridi
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby ristridi » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:21 pm

Let's make it quick:
To me, Medium Sensitivity seems most natural for GRIP ;)

Peace out!

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:41 pm

Ryu Makkuro wrote:It's not to say that the solution to catch up issue is easy, but definitely worth putting the effort in. Besides, the most hardcore here will be fighting it out in online mode, AI in SP should be more about learning the game and progressing through it. As to better solution than leaderboards... ladders. The only way racing truly works is when you race against other people, not time.

I'd honestly have to disagree a little bit there; fighting online is the ultimate mode, yes, but a good game will have a solid foundation for replayability offline as well. Believe it or not I still play Rollcage on a regular basis, mostly because even 15 years later playing singleplayer is still rewarding due to how well-designed the AI are. ;) Sometimes I race these bots and forget they're bots. There aren't many games today that can give that feeling.

Chris_CE wrote:U@KMac: That industrial complex at the bottom of the hill was a bit thrown together. I don't like that area in general - I think it's pretty ugly. Once we've got some nicer assets in the game I'll be replacing a lot of stuff in Industrial. Visuals only, nothing to do with track design

As for Mines having more of an effect... they are already pretty frustrating when you hit one. I think having the car fly around more will make them OP. But it could be tweaked

Ah, fair enough. Gonna look forwards to seeing that extra polish then! :P

I hope I'm not getting too annoying though. I just want the best for the game >_<.

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Xirahii

Postby Xirahii » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:52 am

HikikomoriGamer wrote:I came back to non private version and the game is downloading some files again! Is this a new version or it's just downloading again the non private release?

I've noticed that in the public release, there's controller support in the Menus now. Only thing being that once you go into any the menus involving car color or tracks, you lose control and have to use the mouse again.

Roq
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Roq » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:51 am

KazzyMac wrote:I hope I'm not getting too annoying though. I just want the best for the game >_<.

This goes for every one of us I'm sure. Where some would see negativity and critique, I see deep passion for an awesome game!

Raion
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Raion » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:01 am

Roq wrote:
KazzyMac wrote:I hope I'm not getting too annoying though. I just want the best for the game >_<.

This goes for every one of us I'm sure. Where some would see negativity and critique, I see deep passion for an awesome game!

Remember, this hurts us more than it hurts you.
No, wait...

We're only hurting you because we love you.
No, that sounds wrong too.

Can I haz gud broom broom gaem?
Yeah, that's it.

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:46 am

KazzyMac wrote:
Ryu Makkuro wrote:It's not to say that the solution to catch up issue is easy, but definitely worth putting the effort in. Besides, the most hardcore here will be fighting it out in online mode, AI in SP should be more about learning the game and progressing through it. As to better solution than leaderboards... ladders. The only way racing truly works is when you race against other people, not time.

I'd honestly have to disagree a little bit there; fighting online is the ultimate mode, yes, but a good game will have a solid foundation for replayability offline as well. Believe it or not I still play Rollcage on a regular basis, mostly because even 15 years later playing singleplayer is still rewarding due to how well-designed the AI are. ;) Sometimes I race these bots and forget they're bots. There aren't many games today that can give that feeling.

Yeah, that's basically what I meant there ;) But there becomes a point where you'll be good enough that even the AI in those games will simply not keep up with you and it won't be as rewarding. Ultimately it depends on how good you are. If you're not the "ultimate hardcore mastah" then the highest level bots will be great for you. But those that truly just mastered the game... well, unless you literally will make bots cheat obviously (which they do in most games nowadays anyway) then the MP is the only place for them.

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:26 am

Ryu Makkuro wrote:
KazzyMac wrote:

Yeah, that's basically what I meant there ;) But there becomes a point where you'll be good enough that even the AI in those games will simply not keep up with you and it won't be as rewarding. Ultimately it depends on how good you are. If you're not the "ultimate hardcore mastah" then the highest level bots will be great for you. But those that truly just mastered the game... well, unless you literally will make bots cheat obviously (which they do in most games nowadays anyway) then the MP is the only place for them.

I'm one of the best Rollcage 1 players and the AI are still a major pain to beat. Of course, I have a habit of handicapping myself (driving Tony in the rain for example) but - and you're right - whereas most modern games have some form of cheating involved with the AI, Rollcage (and Grip) doesn't. That's what keeps pulling me back -- they're susceptible to the same shenanigans as the player car. The game's catchup affects the player car as well as the AI cars.

I'm just going to say that even today, a 50-lap endurance race on Daytona with the catchup turned off is still not an easy win. Yuri has a habit of disappearing down the road, even after Rob nerfed him ;) and I'm pretty sure just the same, Rob, Chris, everyone else at CE is going to make the AI in this game thoroughly competitive even for us MLG players. Just watch. :P

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:59 am

I need to adjust my feedback a little.
Since 1.0.6.0 there was something in the cars handling that was throwing me of and after 4+hours i finally figured out what it is.
It's the way the cars slide and how they react to countersteering.It immediately swings form one side to the other. This makes it very difficult for me to go straight once the car started to slide and results in countersteering left, then right, then left... and so on. And even the AI does this a lot.
This handling is what makes the car not spin out as they did in 1.0.5.0 (good) but it also results in a very "floaty" handling (bad). The higher the speed the more this happens. Also as opposed to 1.0.5.0 releasing the throttle does not make the car more stable anymore

I made a video to demonstrate what i am talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJtxWKMt328&t=1m16s

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:02 am

KazzyMac wrote:The game's catchup affects the player car as well as the AI cars.

And without the catch up the AI would be left behind, am I correct? ;)

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Re: UPDATED - !NEED TESTERS TODAY (AGAIN)! - 1.0.7 Feedback

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:21 pm

Updated first post. Private patch incoming in the next couple hours probably
Game Director
GRIP

tjgcrush
#1 Tester
#1 Tester

Re: UPDATED - !NEED TESTERS TODAY (AGAIN)! - 1.0.7 Feedback