First of all, off the bat, I'm so incredibly blown away by what you as a team have achieved with GRIP. I wish that I'd have known it was coming, so that I could be hyped up! I saw it by chance on steam and instinctively (yet cautiously) purchased it. Well done.
I'm certainly not looking for a Rollcage 3 here. But I'm loving the similarities, and I shall reference them. Where I've spent some time looking through feedback, I've been somewhat disappointed by some feedback given for a game so early in alpha, so I want to try and keep this as barebones as possible. Please don't become distracted by minor off-branch options until the core of the game is spot on. That was what made Rollcage amazing: Its gameplay. Not it's features.Physics:What I Love:
- The feeling of piloting a heavy bulk of metal with the power of a thousand suns. Please don't ever loose this.
- The tossing and turning when you bugger up
- The working Jet engines noticeable in air
- The feel and look of gear changesWhat I could SuggestSteering
- Wallows on some cars. often feels delayed and, although there are reports of over-steering at high speed, I seem to notice the wheel angle is looking like the car is under-steeringJet Spool
- Take your foot off the gas and you get instant deceleration. Foot back on and the Jets spool up gradually. (I make the assumption here that the car isn't purely 100% jet driven? It's also driven by it's wheels to some extent too? Either by Lore or Physics...)Hit Mechanics
- Although I see people complaining about hit mechanics, I think you could take a sheet out of the book of a few other video games. If you nudge someone and make contact with your front half, you should remain (relatively) static. They should always come off worse (I'm thinking Burnout style). There is a whole argument here about the realism of external tyres hitting each other... but which one would encourage more ramming and thus more fun?Suspension
- The cars are in need for better suspension - over the top suspension. Do you remember the excessive travel that the roll-cage cars had? It was crazy and it made a huge part of the fun.Visual and AudioWhat I Love:
- The cars are starting to sound more and more like liquefied orgasm. The dreadnought with that high pitch whine of a jet over a grumbling V8 like noise is just incredible
- The animation on the cars and the engines it looking amazing - still a lot of room for improvement
- The overall game is incredibly pretty. You have made this look like a AAA piece
- I've got to go back to that noise thing again, you have got the audio sounding amazingWhat I could SuggestAnimate the cars more
- Thrust vectoring the engines - Differential thrust on the twin engines. Perhaps an engine start-up sequence with the jet popping into life. Flaps that lift up and downTrails
- A car heading this quickly would have significantly more impact on its surroundings. I'd love to see more trails or tracks. Perhaps a bit of persistent engine gas/ion trails?Brakes
- Brakes heating causing a glow on the terrain?Audio Priorities
- The heat of racing is often a... covfefe of noise. It's hard to differentiate. You always knew when a weapon was heading towards you in rollcage. I must say I find it hard to say the same in GRIPWeapons, Balance and Power Ups
- Balancing in power ups should always revolve around one thing - How far behind you are or how hard it is to use effectively.What I Love:
- The launching of the missiles. They are slow and they keep your inertia. The amount of times I've tried to launch when landing only to blow myself up is hilarious. Please don't make this easier... Just ensure the trade-off of having a powerful missile is there when it lands.
- Focus on their effect. You spend a lot of time making the power ups feel like a core component. Please keep that.
- Being hit is really frustrating and you can feel the effects of each individual weapon and know what hit you. This is all good news as they are doing their job well. (I believe more can be done with improving the feeling of making a 'hit' though)
- Consistency with Rollcage - You get shields at the front and Assassin missiles at the back. Please continue to spend this time thinking about when would be appropriate for what weapon.What I could SuggestChaingun
Too wide an angle of 'lock'. Too long range. Too much damage. And where the hell are my tracers? I want to see that thing ricocheting off everything it hits. It's mechanic of making the person slip and loose control was it's best feature.Names/Symbols
I've been playing this game for a while now, and I still haven't got a clue what's called what. Can we add somewhere where this can be visible? Like in the stats screen at the end where a little symbol displays next to the weapon name?Boost Power-up
For a car so big... Boosting feels quite tame. I think this needs an overhaul. This Is my favourite
Audio boost from any game. I feel like the boost should match that somehow. Also, on the topic of boost... the passive boost that you get? It feels a bit... much. And the car bunny hop thing. They seem very... gimmicky.Doubling up
It would be amazing to implement the doubling up feature like Rollcage. There are two ways this can be done. Like in stage two, where you get a power up V2 and the power up ring flashes (I didn't really like this) Or by getting two of the same powerups and using them together. Although I would only think this mechanic to be worthwhile if the Power-up pickups are increased as it encourages people to 'save' their power ups.
Aaaand there you go. With all this being said, I believe this is one of the best games I've played this year, and I really look forward to seeing the new content. Thank you Devs!