[READ] Mid Air Contols

Here you give us specific suggestions on how you think the private release can be improved.

This isn't for bug reports, this is for features (example: wrong way indicator)
Jetgaze

Re: [READ] Mid Air Contols

Postby Jetgaze » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:48 am

I would prefer all axis control (currently it seems like you can only flip left/right). Would be awesome to be able to flip in any direction...

Coz left right rotation doesnt help when you flying sideways or backwards(happens sometimes).

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:57 pm

Jetgaze wrote:I would prefer all axis control (currently it seems like you can only flip left/right). Would be awesome to be able to flip in any direction...

Coz left right rotation doesnt help when you flying sideways or backwards(happens sometimes).

I personally am against this...

But this discussion is almost the same as do you like rollcage or rollcage stage 2 better?
Because rollcage was hardcore: no control in the air, so take the jump right!
rollcage stage 2 was pretty casual compared...: oh, you messed up the jump? no problem, just correct yourself with this easy air control.
(there are more reasons why I dislike stage 2, but I digress)

I think GRIP right now nailed the air control...
You can correct the small mistakes like getting some spin from the ramp and with the air control you can correct most of the other errors once you land (if the error is small...)
BUT! if you f*ck up (you dun goofed, boy), the air control is useless and the game is telling you to get better.

Again this is preferential, and a bit influenced by my love for rollcage, but I don't want to see this game being watered down and becoming stupidly easy...
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

Jetgaze

Postby Jetgaze » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:15 am

landvaarder wrote:
Jetgaze wrote:I would prefer all axis control (currently it seems like you can only flip left/right). Would be awesome to be able to flip in any direction...

I personally am against this...

But this discussion is almost the same as do you like rollcage or rollcage stage 2 better?
Because rollcage was hardcore: no control in the air, so take the jump right!
rollcage stage 2 was pretty casual compared...: oh, you messed up the jump? no problem, just correct yourself with this easy air control.
(there are more reasons why I dislike stage 2, but I digress)

I think GRIP right now nailed the air control...
You can correct the small mistakes like getting some spin from the ramp and with the air control you can correct most of the other errors once you land (if the error is small...)
BUT! if you f*ck up (you dun goofed, boy), the air control is useless and the game is telling you to get better.

Again this is preferential, and a bit influenced by my love for rollcage, but I don't want to see this game being watered down and becoming stupidly easy...

I dont think that full axis air control will decrease difficulty....Coz everyone will be able to do it...so its still depends on skill and how accurate your air control is. It just add more stunts and tricks (like 360 midair turn with gatling on...to kick everything flying near you).
Hell it can even make game harder.

Also you still can mess up by jumping in wrong direction. Coz rotation doesnt change trajectory. You still can jump off track ( if bumped before jump) and such.

Anyway i dont think that full axis rotation (with current rotation speed) will make it easier.

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:39 am

Jetgaze wrote:I dont think that full axis air control will decrease difficulty....Coz everyone will be able to do it...so its still depends on skill and how accurate your air control is. It just add more stunts and tricks (like 360 midair turn with gatling on...to kick everything flying near you).
Hell it can even make game harder.

Also you still can mess up by jumping in wrong direction. Coz rotation doesnt change trajectory. You still can jump off track ( if bumped before jump) and such.

Anyway i dont think that full axis rotation (with current rotation speed) will make it easier.

It will decrease difficulty. Because EVERYONE WILL BE ABLE TO DO IT. Because of that landing every jump will be a piece of cake for everybody, it will make the game 2 ez. For example now, if you f*ck up on the ramp you`re screwed, and you have to correct yourself onto the track again.
If full air control would be possible you would fly off the map but you could set yourself in air to face the correct way, when you land this jump it wouldn`t affect your position that much. Sooo yeah im gonna stay on Lands side, im strongly against this, like im pretty sure every veteran.
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

Jetgaze

Postby Jetgaze » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:44 pm

Oh man....Why do we even...

WE CAN HAVE BOTH. Just add function to enable /disable air control.

In multiplayer you will be able to see "Lobby settings" . There can be "Vanilla rollcage" mode, "No reset button" mode and "Easy" mode with air control.

Really, optional stuff is way to go.

Dexter092

Postby Dexter092 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:08 am

In my opinion, pitch air control could be added with a compromise:

This vehicles have huge, heavy wheels that runs at incredible speed. Something like those can have radial inertia to move the vehicle in air. This means that they might be able to do like a motocross bike (not AS a bike, but of a little amount), and skilled pilots could control pitch by suddenly braking mid-air and/or accelerating, causing the wheels to discharge their force on the rest of the body making it moving forward, or backwards. It would require you to get used to it, would not save you in desperate situations, and just releasing the accelerator to engage roll control would not change your air position that much to cause unwanted movements.

As a plus, this movements could be set on/off in the options, if players don't like it, or be forced on/off in online sessions, OR work only in a certain vehicle ("stuntman" class...?).

Just saying, for having that control without making it overpowered...

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:46 pm

you know, I started to notice a trend on this forum that I also contributed to...

There is a discussion about some features, and both sides give their opinions and some decent points.
So what is the solution?
Make everything a toggle-able option...

Right now I think this way of thinking is going to hurt the game...
Making ever an option might work for stepmania, but not for this kind of racing game.

The choise is still to the devs, so they decide what is best for the game/what they want
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:08 pm

But you cant split the community this much with a rather small game like grip, since the multiplayer would probably end up dead faster than a redshirt.

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:12 pm

landvaarder wrote:you know, I started to notice a trend on this forum that I also contributed to...

There is a discussion about some features, and both sides give their opinions and some decent points.
So what is the solution?
Make everything a toggle-able option...

Right now I think this way of thinking is going to hurt the game...
Making ever an option might work for stepmania, but not for this kind of racing game.

The choise is still to the devs, so they decide what is best for the game/what they want

You know what i want to say but chris told me to not be as harsh on newbies as i normally am xD scrubs... And he`s my senpai so i have to obey! I can suck that d*ck doe, no homo doe. xDDD
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:53 pm

landvaarder wrote:The choise is still to the devs, so they decide what is best for the game/what they want

This. No worries, I think they are aware of this.

So far, a lot of things are toggeable, but that's because they are still looking for feedback as for which options suit the best.

Eventually, I think that air control and destroyable vehicles stuff would be implemented within special modes. Because of course you don't want to make the player choose thousands of options before starting a race.

This would not divide the community as long as there are difficulty presets and different modes.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

bockadilla

Postby bockadilla » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:22 am

Yeah I quite like the air control as it is at the moment it seems like a good balance. I do like the idea though of having bigger cars (like the new tank) being slower to rotate, and smaller/quicker cars being able to rotate just that much faster.

Jetgaze

Postby Jetgaze » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:36 am

After latest update it doesnt feel that lame...for some reason. Maybe traction changes make landings more predictable....Or just me got better.

Anyway im fine with how it works now. Got a grip.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:45 pm

Nitro Stunt Racing looks like a lot of fun.

We're still exploring air control, but yeah, don't want too much control or the game will stray away from it's challenging nature
Game Director
GRIP

Schadows

Postby Schadows » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:28 pm

Frankly, I don't see where is mid-air control right now.
I release the accelerator, and the the left stick trying to compensate for the rotation or whatever my car is doing and ... nothing. It keeps rotating having a 99% chance to land in the wrong way.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:03 pm

All you can currently do in mid air is roll the car. People have been using it, so it works. But yea, we will no doubt increase control in the air
Game Director
GRIP

ZzozZ

Postby ZzozZ » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:50 pm

nuc wrote:some light in air control might be fun, like Nitro Stunt Racing which switches pedals to attitude control in flight while wheel directs left/right:
https://youtu.be/Hf6TI948Lr8?t=13s

No please no.

Return to “Suggestions”