[LISTED] Open this world a little!

Here you give us specific suggestions on how you think the private release can be improved.

This isn't for bug reports, this is for features (example: wrong way indicator)
potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: [LISTED] Open this world a little!

Postby potterman28wxcv » Mon May 16, 2016 5:05 pm

WROB3L wrote:
Chris_CE wrote:
Remember when I had the levels wide open with hardly any barriers? The cars flew everywhere and anyone who played the game at GDC got frustrated by the lack of bounds. Unfortunately, you guys who want it wide open are in the minority.

Not only that, but having you able to explore areas outside of the track means I have to make them look good, and making things look good uses up valuable resources.

So while I agree that some forcefield walls in the tracks could be replaced with world assets to make them look better and not feel as closed in, making the track flow with barriers is here to stay.

BUT, keep in mind that there are also only three tracks in the game. My next track is considerably more open.

Thats your work doood :D but i never said that they should be removed completely, I said that they should be moved alot further. The only thing that should be deleted are the ceilings.

That's indeed Chris' work, but let's suppose you give the player access to two times more area. That's two times more work for Chris, since he needs then to both make a track, and then care of what lies outside of the track. The time he will spend in making sure the outside-of-the-track looks good, he won't spend it into making another track.

If they get more people in the team though, it might be a good idea to have a look at this level of detail
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Mon May 16, 2016 5:21 pm

I do like how close the barriers are placed to the track as it improves the flow of the game quite significantly. You don't end up being in the middle of nowhere when hitting a mine with +500km/h anymore,

(!) BUT the low ceilings are really annoying, especially on industrial after the first tunnel. I often hit it, even though i would land perfectly on the track with very high speeds. I also have to agree that it feels a little like racing in a tunnel right now. Maybe the insides of corners could be opened up a little as it wouldn't affect gameplay much.

Mik1
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Mik1 » Tue May 17, 2016 1:46 am

Dont forget about optimization, not only would making additional details outside of the race track be extra work but it would be extra eyecandy you dont see in normal play you need to process. Id rather have more focus on impressive details along the track like the recent change on transport.

For the barriers, i dont mind them most of the time but some barriers seem illogical. Maybe add some props just behind where the barrier starts to make the player try to avoid it?

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun May 29, 2016 2:16 pm

I'll raise the roof in a few spots on Industrial
Game Director
GRIP

VooDooQky

Postby VooDooQky » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:55 am

With great respect to the developer team, but, as more as i'm thinking about these invisible walls lately, they are bugging me too even more. Really. I too, do think they should be completely removed from the track areas. If a player fly off the map, It was either his driving mistake, so he gotta try better next time, or was simply unlucky enough to be in target for someone else. But seriously, you get blown off, so what? This is a futuristic combat racer, the genre itself contains, that there is a risk in the deck, and people who choose this kind of game should deal with it. And even if you fly off, you can simply respawn on the track, so the choice is given for the recovery anyways. I truly miss the spectacles where I saw myself, or other racers taking an orbit because of a good rocket at a good place. And as someone mentioned before me, the physics greatly improved over time, which helps a lot with keeping the car on track, so these kind of restrictions imho are not necessary anymore. With this, it feels like the devs are holding my hand while I play, and I do not want that. And i think GRIP don't need to be a "push forward button" game. If you dare going fast, either have the skill to control it, or take the fall it brings like a man! Even if there is nothing outside of the track boundary, just the bare terrain with it's elevations.

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:09 am

VooDooQky wrote:With great respect to the developer team, but, as more as i'm thinking about these invisible walls lately, they are bugging me too even more. Really. I too, do think they should be completely removed from the track areas. If a player fly off the map, It was either his driving mistake, so he gotta try better next time, or was simply unlucky enough to be in target for someone else. But seriously, you get blown off, so what? This is a futuristic combat racer, the genre itself contains, that there is a risk in the deck, and people who choose this kind of game should deal with it. And even if you fly off, you can simply respawn on the track, so the choice is given for the recovery anyways. I truly miss the spectacles where I saw myself, or other racers taking an orbit because of a good rocket at a good place. And as someone mentioned before me, the physics greatly improved over time, which helps a lot with keeping the car on track, so these kind of restrictions imho are not necessary anymore. With this, it feels like the devs are holding my hand while I play, and I do not want that. And i think GRIP don't need to be a "push forward button" game. If you dare going fast, either have the skill to control it, or take the fall it brings like a man! Even if there is nothing outside of the track boundary, just the bare terrain with it's elevations.

Give him a beer or somethin. +1

Btw. CHRIS, Why the hell you closed up the Transport even more xD
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:01 pm

Right now, leaving the track is extremely punishing due to the car overreacting from environment collisions. Once that's better, i'll look at opening the track up a bit.

Just remember that not everyone is great at racing games, can improve as fast as you guys, or have the patience to keep playing when they crash a lot. We want to appeal to the hardcore racers, but we also need to make money with this game, so appealing to less skilled and more casual players must be done as well
Game Director
GRIP

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:44 pm

I think the barriers are mostly nice how they currently are. If i hit a barrier i would be flying of into nowhere and reset. and crashing into these is already punishing enough as you lose most of your speed anyway

agcue
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby agcue » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:06 am

Yeah, were definitely going to need some kind of restriction to keep things moving forward and rollcage had the barriers too. But yeah, I did used to like collecting two boosts in time trial mode, aiming my car at ramping wall, and hitting both boosts at the same time haha great hang time - would be cool if you could do that in grip but it would make the scope of the tracks pretty obvious if there is limited detail on the horizon.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:14 pm

A small track that allows you to get crazy air and drive all over the place towards checkpoints/flares would be fun. More like Motostorm/1NSANE tracks
Game Director
GRIP

playabot

Postby playabot » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:25 am

raise dat roof!!! is this debate relevant anymore...

for my two cents I think keep the barriers to the sides of the track but remove any and all force field ceilings.

re-set is there to assist newbies

Return to “Suggestions”