Page 1 of 1

More inertia based visuals cues

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:04 am
by iamthatiam
The game needs more visual cues to indicate your intertia (acceleration, deceleration, sideway drift, g-forces, etc).

The rear of your vehicle should slide out when you are doing a drift and you should be able to see gravel spitting out the back or your tires smoking if on more solid ground. The wheels need to bounce up and down more showing the stability of the ground or lack thereof.

Re: More inertia based visuals cues

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:30 pm
by Chris_CE
I agree about more visual cues, though this is more polishing type stuff and we need to get features and content in first.

The back end of the car actually kicks out a decent amount but the camera follows your velocity vector quite sharply, which may make it not seem as pronounced. If we were to have the chase cam less rigid, it might affect people's driving as they cars go so fast and you need to see where you're going.

Totally agree about the wheels bouncing up and down. I was actually thinking about this the other day

Re: More inertia based visuals cues

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:17 am
by Falkerz
Chris_CE wrote:it might affect people's driving as they cars go so fast and you need to see where you're going.


There are times when I just feel that "so fast" isn't nearly fast enough. Perhaps some more speed? Maybe even the fabled Neo mode, but with even more craziness?

Re: More inertia based visuals cues

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:28 am
by Volken
I think the speed is good, it's just that the maps have gotten much bigger so there's more ground to cover than in the old rollcage games :)

Re: More inertia based visuals cues

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:48 pm
by wantfastcars
GRIP NEO MODE: Because the physics weren't hard enough to tame as-is

Re: More inertia based visuals cues

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:39 am
by Cybruiser57P├ęter
wantfastcars wrote:GRIP NEO MODE: Because the physics weren't hard enough to tame as-is

More like pissing-off Rob, whit more physics problems.

Re: More inertia based visuals cues

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:18 pm
by ApexAzimuth
I think the speed in Grip is fine. Honestly the game "feels" faster than many other games "look", because we have to deal with actual, punishing physics. Loosing control of the car because of excessive speed is actually a thing in Grip, where it isn't in other games. Driving on the razor edge of controlability is what gives the greatest "feeling" of speed, not just the absolute velocity.

It's why WRC feels faster than NASCAR, even though rally cars travel half as fast.

Re: More inertia based visuals cues

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
by Chris_CE
Also Rally races take place in very enclosed spaces

Once we can get small destructible items on the tracks, that will help with sense of speed, along with small grass/rocks and other terrain decoration

Re: More inertia based visuals cues

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:21 pm
by Ryu Makkuro
Chris_CE wrote:Also Rally races take place in very enclosed spaces

You've no idea how correct you are :lol:

Image

Re: More inertia based visuals cues

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:11 pm
by Queadah
ApexAzimuth wrote:I think the speed in Grip is fine. Honestly the game "feels" faster than many other games "look", because we have to deal with actual, punishing physics. Loosing control of the car because of excessive speed is actually a thing in Grip, where it isn't in other games. Driving on the razor edge of controlability is what gives the greatest "feeling" of speed, not just the absolute velocity.

My thoughts exactly, though let's not make this an excuse to decrease speed along game dev plz X)
Insane speed is in GRIP's DNA just like it was in RC

Re: More inertia based visuals cues

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:55 pm
by iamthatiam
The physics don't feel right. The cars seem to float in the air way too long, and easily bounce out of control, it's like you are driving on a low gravity moon. Also the cars feels like they have zero suspension. And the sense of speed is wrong; it's impossible to tell how fast you are going unless you look at the speedo. It's not a matter of having more speed or less speed, but more about the sensation you get at going different speeds.

Re: More inertia based visuals cues

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:52 pm
by Chris_CE
AlphaOmega2213 wrote:The physics don't feel right. The cars seem to float in the air way too long, and easily bounce out of control, it's like you are driving on a low gravity moon. Also the cars feels like they have zero suspension. And the sense of speed is wrong; it's impossible to tell how fast you are going unless you look at the speedo. It's not a matter of having more speed or less speed, but more about the sensation you get at going different speeds.

Although I agree that they are still a bit floaty, low gravity moon is a bit of an exaggeration :P

A lot of what you're perceiving is due to the insane speed the cars go. They do indeed have a lot of suspension (try hitting the slow-mo button and driving over bumpy terrain at <200 kmph, you can see plenty of tire movement).

When you say it's impossible to tell how fast you're going without looking at the speedo, you mean the game feels slow, or? One thing that will help with the sense of speed is more scale assets on the track like small bushes, rocks and destructible stuff. That's to come later with more polish

Re: More inertia based visuals cues

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:01 am
by iamthatiam
The game doesn't feel slow, I just couldn't easily tell the difference between slow and fast speeds in the game; anything above 200kmh just looked and felt the same. However I found a setting tonight which has made a world of difference - Field of View Extension - I've crank it up to 100 and now I get a much better feel for my speed.

Re: More inertia based visuals cues

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:58 am
by Queadah
A few ideas for scale assets:
  • beach crabs with a small AI to walk away from the cars as they get close
    Image
  • seagulls with also some basic AI or random motion
    Image

Re: More inertia based visuals cues

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:50 am
by Tathendal
Queadah wrote:A few ideas for scale assets:
  • beach crabs with a small AI to walk away from the cars as they get close
  • seagulls with also some basic AI or random motion


I like the idea, but wouldn't those be just tiny pixels on screen (especially the crabs) ? I mean, if you think a man standing next to a Dreadnaught, and then think about a crab beside that... And then think about racing 400 kmph, can you distinguish the crabs? Seagulls might work better though, if they dont end up looking like flies :D

What about regular cars? Well those might not exist in those planets. Maybe some old junk cars? That might give the scale of GRIP cars pretty well to see a normal car or drive over one and explode it :twisted:

Re: More inertia based visuals cues

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:26 am
by Django
Lovly beach crab but No. Maybe some larger alien liveform.

But what would work would be instead of seaguls aircraft/spacecraft in the distance.
Or maybe even an asteroid in the the distance from time to time.

But both wouldnt much help in terms of speed. More smallscale human infrastructure?

Tathendal wrote:What about regular cars? Well those might not exist in those planets. Maybe some old junk cars? That might give the scale of GRIP cars pretty well to see a normal car or drive over one and explode it :twisted:


Sounds like a good idea.

Re: More inertia based visuals cues

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:43 am
by Queadah
Seagulls would very much work, seeing bats work well with little effort in the Halloween patch, yep. Just add the sound that comes with it and that's it!