Noise from car

Here you give us specific suggestions on how you think the private release can be improved.

This isn't for bug reports, this is for features (example: wrong way indicator)
Valdamir91

Noise from car

Postby Valdamir91 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:47 am

Greetings,

I usually don't post in forums, but I felt the need to create an account because I was a big fan of rollcage
and I want Grip to become an awesome game.

I'm not going to mention things that are already stated in other threads, so all I'll bring up now is
the strange sound coming from the cars once you reach higher speeds.
It's a combo of a wheezing/beeping/howling sound that reaches that pitch that makes my head hurt.
I can't find a good reason for it to be included in the game, yet I don't find it a bug of any sort.

It's not my PC or anything, to my defense I have this video that potterman28wxcv posted in another thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lru1U4w ... RMPxuyq60J
One of many examples is 0:55 to 0:58 or 2:19 to 2:24 in potterman28wxcv' video.

I do hope that sound won't make it to the final release. That pitch is just too high for me to play comfortably.

Otherwise, great game and good going so far,

Best regards

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Noise from car

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:41 am

Moving this to Suggestions ;)
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

RuskiTalib3003
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby RuskiTalib3003 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:36 am

-1 This sound makes me feel like i have some big ass jet in my car! vroooom

guilux92

Postby guilux92 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:50 am

Also , I have no sound when you active the accelerator ..

sadovsf

Postby sadovsf » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:02 pm

But there are huge "jets" on that car. For me engine sound, this combination of huge tank like motor with jet like exhaust, feels great :-)

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: [LISTED] Noise from car

Postby Broscar » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:18 pm

Not digging the sound either. Would appreciate the pitch being clamped at a slightly lower value.

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:20 pm

Kinda sounds like a giant spooling turbo to me. I kinda like it.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Sceptre
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Sceptre » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:04 am

I think Grip's car sounds really need a mix of a roaring engine and high turbo/jet engine. I just really imagine these cars sounding extremely aggressive, more than just a sports car with a jet engine. I want to hit the throttle and hear the horsepower these things are giving. Figuring that Grip's cars have gears, it must have some sort of engine plus a jet turbine hybrid thing.

And, come on... as big and powerful as these cars are: Badass cars -> badass engine -> badass sound.
I'm very passionate about this kinda thing. I guess the best way to convey what I mean is to show some videos of what I'm talking about.

This sounds like an aspirated motor in the video, so no sweet turbo whistle. He floors it at like 0:19 and is similar to what i imagine a grip starting line to sound like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxF2GtoGvk4

I grew up going to the sand dunes as a kid, the sound dune buggies make when the throttle is wide open sound still scares me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl_L6_yaP6I

Another example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjEQmOb-xtA

TL:DR;

Layering a jet turbine with an intimidating motor sound (e.g. vids^) is basically what I imagine Grip's cars should sound like.
Of course this is just my opinion, I'm sure some people prefer more of the arcade or RC1 jet sounding engine. But I really hope something like this makes it into the game. ;)

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:52 am

I agree. I like what we've got, but they could stand to be a little throatier.
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:08 am

The sound of the car was just a first pass by Michael, trying to do something for the deadline of Nov 30th. For the time he did it in, and only using UE4 (not FMOD), it sounds pretty amazing, considering.

So, the cars will not sound like this moving forward. They will be throatier and more aggressive (think: Mad Max Fury Road) along with the distinct jet engine sound. They are the stars of the show, and will be treated as such

But for now, we'll look into lowering the pitch of the jet sound, as it seems to be bothering you guys and taking enjoyment out of the game. Maybe we could add a sound option for it.
Game Director
GRIP

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:14 pm

Can't wait for updated sounds! :D
You're just a voice pal.

proflap

Postby proflap » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:02 pm

I agree with Valdamir91 on the "wheezing/beeping/howling" sound pitch reaching an annoying level.

I do not know if it's intended or not, but it looks (sounds) like the sound of the car's engine is tied to the car's movement speed even if I do not press the accelerate button. So if I stop the car e.g on the huge glass wall of Biodome and let it go - by releasing all keys - the car's engine will still rev up like those toy cars with friction motors. Anyway, if it's intended, then just forget what I said :D

I'm in love with the "ignition" sound which can be heard when you stop your car, and hold Space + Up Arrow :D

Thank you for this fantastic game! :D
With GRIP, a dream comes true.

Sceptre
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Sceptre » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Chris_CE wrote:But for now, we'll look into lowering the pitch of the jet sound, as it seems to be bothering you guys and taking enjoyment out of the game. Maybe we could add a sound option for it.

It doesn't really bother me, I don't think it's priority. I do think it's something that should be in the final product though. :)

ApexAzimuth

Postby ApexAzimuth » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:10 pm

I love the transmission and turbo whine the cars make. It's also one of the ways each car can have a unique "voice". If anything, I want MOAR high pitched screaming combined with low roar and growl.

Return to “Suggestions”