F-Zero-like boosting; boosting consumes health energy

Here you give us specific suggestions on how you think the private release can be improved.

This isn't for bug reports, this is for features (example: wrong way indicator)
Fourdee

F-Zero-like boosting; boosting consumes health energy

Postby Fourdee » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:57 am

For me, Grip is about freedom of movement around the environment. I'd love to see a energy + boost system, similar to F-Zero X. Could make for interesting gameplay:
F-Zero X implemented the most popular form of Boosting. Starting from the second lap, the narrator will say "You got boost power" while the screen shows "Boost Ok", also, the life gauge changes it's color from red to green; player may Boost as much as he or she desires, however, this gradually consumes a portion of life energy. You can Boost by pressing the B button for increasing the speed around 100 km/h for each boost, while consuming some health.

http://mutecity.org/wiki/Boosting

Used it in my game, worked well as a gameplay mechanic based on risk + reward (skill). I used energy pickups on track to regen energy:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/tr-zero

Also works great in a upgrade system for player. eg: boost[0]=1.05x speed, boost[1]=1.07x speed, etc etc.
Xtreme G / Fzero X / Rollcage and now Grip lover!

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: F-Zero-like boosting; boosting consumes health energy

Postby Broscar » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:00 pm

I've taken the liberty of giving your topic it's own thread, rather than having it sit in an old thread from 2015.

It's a mechanic that does indeed deepen gameplay, but due to the fact that GRIP is a combat racer and that people will face plenty of health draining from opponents' fire already, I am skeptical of such a boost system being beneficial to GRIP.

Fourdee

Postby Fourdee » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:17 pm

It's a mechanic that does indeed deepen gameplay, but due to the fact that GRIP is a combat racer and that people will face plenty of health draining from opponents' fire already, I am skeptical of such a boost system being beneficial to GRIP.

I honestly believe "race flow" would benefit from boost + energy/health mechanic:

- Mine = hit wall, stop, player relies on catch up
- Respawn + Boost += race flow, at the players control?

Does GRIP currently have a health system, one that results in a "death", with a possible way to "come back"?

Either way, you guys are doing a great job, just my 2 cents (or 1 pence). Keep up the good work :)
Xtreme G / Fzero X / Rollcage and now Grip lover!

Cybruiser57Péter
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Cybruiser57Péter » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:39 am

Fourdee wrote:Does GRIP currently have a health system, one that results in a "death", with a possible way to "come back"?

Well if you count destructible cars feature ON during race mode, yes it has. (I never played whit that, to be honest)
And there is also Arena mode. (JUST to mention it :roll: )
Science WINS again!!!
Then they opened a portal to another dimension and kidnapping the locals.
The pissed locals are head enough and strike back.
and then... ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE :twisted:

tadam

Postby tadam » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:48 am

this is not f-zero this is rollcage sequel :P

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:03 pm

I think it's not a bad idea, but so far I can't imagine it fitting GRIP good enough. Best case scenario, this feature would have to adapt to the fact that we have the option to play with car indestructible: indeed, using boost wouldn't be able to drain health and the drawback disappears :/

I'm highly favorable to a system with a gauge somewhere however, like a Max Payne style slow-mo gauge:

• heart beat sound
  • camera filter of sorts?
  • gauge fills based on Ultimate mode point counting system (the more you perform stuff, the more it fills)

Return to “Suggestions”