NEW vehicle ability: LAUNCH - How about make it jump by pressing the button?

Here you give us specific suggestions on how you think the private release can be improved.

This isn't for bug reports, this is for features (example: wrong way indicator)
HikikomoriGamer
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

NEW vehicle ability: LAUNCH - How about make it jump by pressing the button?

Postby HikikomoriGamer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:04 pm

Do we really need it to charge? Can't you just press it and the car jumps and the bar that used to be the meter for how long the jump is could be used as a cool down.

Also could we jump midair? if you already used the jump button to get in the air of course it would not work but if for example you are trying to get a shortcut that's in the ceiling or something and you miss it just by a hair you could save yourself by jumping in midair and who knows maybe even dodge a missile in midair hahaha

What do you guys think?

I'm glad this feature is in! Can't wait to see more platforms in the tracks so we can jump :)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M-D3H
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
RAM: 8GB

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: NEW vehicle ability: LAUNCH - How about make it jump by pressing the button?

Postby Queadah » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:54 am

I also thought jump (yay \o/) could just occur and bar would "recharge" afterwards, without clear preference so far. Let's see...

Currently :
  • charging makes for various jump levels depending on "hold" input
  • the longer the hold, the higher the jump (the need for anything but the max is debatable though)
  • more skills involved in proper timing with the extra buffer time
  • however it makes you hold a button for a large part of the races if you're coy
  • finger fatigue ?
With your suggestion :
  • jump is instantenous
  • no finger fatigue
  • less timing preparation (still requires some skills)
  • no fine tuning jump level (but again, is something other than the max really needed?)
  • bar is a cooldown
It all depends on how big a feature you think "adjustable" jump level is, with its associated finger "fatigue". I'm on the fence.

I'd be against mid-air jump here however for 2 reasons:
  • breaks my "believeability" threshold.
    Physics: a movement (of jump here) occurs with a reaction from the surface of opposite direction and same force. Remove the surface and jump is still possible (albeit with tremendously more force) but would give too much of a toy feeling (rigs are too heavy to do that imo)
  • TF2 scout jump for GRIP is a no, lol
Last edited by Queadah on Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: NEW vehicle ability: LAUNCH - How about make it jump by pressing the button?

Postby Queadah » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:36 am

I'm posting separately a disgression on aspect (Broscar feel free to spank me in the face).

Could launch be made more realistic ? :)
  • large and dense dust cloud radius on jump (like tyre trail effect)
  • large flames going out of MAIN and UNDERBELLY side exhaust (not the ones on top) !!
  • space rocket launch/explosion sound !
...pretty please !

agcue
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby agcue » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:09 am

i like the hold and release mechanic... otherwise were getting into mariokart territory here :S

as is the ability functions like a vehicle from jak 3 on ps2, the 'dune hopper', which was incredibly fun to play with

it would be great to see some effects accompany the manoeuvre though, dust and so forth :)

twisted

Postby twisted » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:54 pm

I like the current hold down to jump feature, it fits the game perfectly fine. I just hope the old tracks will be populated with speed pads here and there to benefit from that new feature. The Abandoned Attol track have grown on me so much, it has become my favorite track... that feeling when you nail'd a perfect lap is immensely satisfying! I really hope there will be little to no tweaks on the racing line and the track itself as I think everything on it is spot-on and a pure joy to drive! I cannot stop playing :D

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:47 am

I like the holding the button method of input. It feels like you're compressing a spring, or bending your legs to store power for the jump.
Jump on button press will allow people to react to stuff instead of pre-emptively making a decision on whether or not to jump, so there's something going for that too.

Honestly, this is up to the design of Caged Element, and they've already chosen. If the community would unanimously agree that the current method sucked (e.g. EMP), they'd change it, but considering there are plenty that like the holding mechanic, I'm sure to say the holding mechanic will remain in place.

Jumping in midair... Meh. Would the game really benefit from that or would that make gameplay messier just for the sake of adding features?

As for Queadah's request for more effects, they'll come in eventually. Keep in mind we're still quite a bit away from the polishing phase.

And hell yeah, another Abandoned Attol lover :D

HikikomoriGamer
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby HikikomoriGamer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:48 pm

Well I don't hate the hold to jump and I can adapt but I still think that pressing to jump is better! In the end it's still a jump and needs some kind of skill to do it. I think it would be good for ppl that are not good at the game like me be able to do nice stuff in a game that's it's already pretty hardcore :) Don't get me wrong I don't want to make the game easy just saying what I think cause in the end it's in the devs hands.

I think that I was one of the first ones to post something about jump and mister Broscar almost made me cry by saying:
Broscar wrote:Jumping is not going to be in the game.
hehehehe

So I'm pretty excited that jump is at least in the game and who knows maybe they do change it to press to jump someday :)

The jump now seems more mechanic and it's really awesome but if they want to justify the instant jump there is always that crazy futuristic tech no one knows how it works that makes cars jump instantaneously!

Some tracks could have platforms you would need to make the timing right to jump from a place to another like this: https://youtu.be/07IH14g3acc?t=5m

Well maybe I'm just thinking too much as always but some of my dumb ideas might be of use :)

Broscar wrote:Honestly, this is up to the design of Caged Element, and they've already chosen. If the community would unanimously agree that the current method sucked (e.g. EMP), they'd change it, but considering there are plenty that like the holding mechanic, I'm sure to say the holding mechanic will remain in place.

Don't know if it's even worth the time but if it is could someone make some pool for it? I really don't know how to do it.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:38 pm

Rob's big on the charging of Launch, and so am I, so you can expect it to stay. About 30% charge launches you JUST enough to clear a mine at great speed. So if it were to be just a set height, you wouldn't have that control
Game Director
GRIP

HikikomoriGamer
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby HikikomoriGamer » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:29 pm

okay :)

playabot

Postby playabot » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:32 am

Does anyone else think that it looks incredibly awkward when vehicles the size of those in GRIP start bunny hopping off the starting line? I sure as sh#%t do :)

I think we need to stop these jokers and introduce a warm up for the jump function! maybe a few seconds? :)

Tathendal

Postby Tathendal » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:41 am

Why would anyone jump at the start (except for fun and everything fun is ok:)

Other fun thing is jump your car after you have already finished the race... Dear devs please DON'T patch this, its funny! Every game should have it's small funny glitches (that doesn't effect gameplay ofc)!

playabot

Postby playabot » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:10 pm

Tathendal wrote:Why would anyone jump at the start (except for fun and everything fun is ok:)

Other fun thing is jump your car after you have already finished the race... Dear devs please DON'T patch this, its funny! Every game should have it's small funny glitches (that doesn't effect gameplay ofc)!

your one of them!! :x I'll see you on the field... :x

:D

VooDooQky

Postby VooDooQky » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:51 pm

Some suggestions for Launch:

- Should cancel itself after holding it for too long (like 5sec). Sometimes it just happens to me that I miss my chance to use it, and forget to release, and it's a bit annoying when I can't release, cuz i'll mess up with it on other sections on the track.
- Some kind of "rising energy" with a short "full" notification SFX might help keeping track of the load meter (maybe even remove it), so you wouldn't distract yourself from the track as much by checking the red line at the top of the screen, instead you can just depend on your ears for that, and focus more on the race with your eyes. If it cancels, the car could produce a fast, gas releasing soundeffect, similar to what nowadays truck's airbrakes do, and leave a small dust cloud behind.
- Since the push is coming from the downside of the car, I can't help, but imagine it being related to the car's built up energy release, coming from the actual downside exhausts, some kind of explosion/shot SFX would fit it more, similar to the mine's explosion.

playabot

Postby playabot » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:05 pm

Could the jump also have a different stat per class? so speeder class - high jump, mid class - well, mid and tank class - low. Would this take away some of the speed advantages that the tanks have and balance things out if fewer speed pads are in reach?

More feedback from the jump would be great... some kind of charge and release sound as per VooDoos post. Additionally a more obvious visual effect would be great too. Just to sell this ability more. 'Yes the thing weights 100 tones but it can jump because of this fancy technology'.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:37 pm

VooDooQky wrote:Some suggestions for Launch:

- Should cancel itself after holding it for too long (like 5sec). Sometimes it just happens to me that I miss my chance to use it, and forget to release, and it's a bit annoying when I can't release, cuz i'll mess up with it on other sections on the track.
- Some kind of "rising energy" with a short "full" notification SFX might help keeping track of the load meter (maybe even remove it), so you wouldn't distract yourself from the track as much by checking the red line at the top of the screen, instead you can just depend on your ears for that, and focus more on the race with your eyes. If it cancels, the car could produce a fast, gas releasing soundeffect, similar to what nowadays truck's airbrakes do, and leave a small dust cloud behind.
- Since the push is coming from the downside of the car, I can't help, but imagine it being related to the car's built up energy release, coming from the actual downside exhausts, some kind of explosion/shot SFX would fit it more, similar to the mine's explosion.

Agree about the first two points. The third already happens to a degree, there's a particle effect when you press jump
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Suggestions”