[READ] Wider streets made of asphalt with more grip and better drift ability on the dusty parts

Here you give us specific suggestions on how you think the private release can be improved.

This isn't for bug reports, this is for features (example: wrong way indicator)
Justify
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

[READ] Wider streets made of asphalt with more grip and better drift ability on the dusty parts

Postby Justify » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:19 pm

I just can't keep the car on the street for too long. If I do a sudden manouver at normal speed - like avoiding an obstacle - I can't really get the car back on the street. I have to drive through the dusty parts of the track. This behaviour would be good for a normal car, but not for the RC like big cars.

It takes the fun out of it if I can't easily get back on the track after making an evasive maneuver or getting hit by another car.
This would be greatly compensated with more wider streets that give my car more grip.

On the dusty parts that require more skill I should be able to get the car under control via "counter drifting maneuvers", after all those cars have like 10.000 PS, this should be possible.

Maybe that is all part of the physics problem? I don't know.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Wider streets made of asphalt with more grip and better drift ability on the dusty parts

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:58 pm

I think this is more of a problem resulting of the too long turn radius of the car.

If cars get smaller turning radius, as proposed here, it should solve the problem
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Justify
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Re: [READ] Wider streets made of asphalt with more grip and better drift ability on the dusty parts

Postby Justify » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:03 pm

I had that thought myself, but I'm not convinced yet. We'll see.

Sicae_LP
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Re: [READ] Wider streets made of asphalt with more grip and better drift ability on the dusty parts

Postby Sicae_LP » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:30 pm

I think this will be a more notable option on the other planets when they come available due to level themeing...in regards to asphalt roads

Sigrid
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Sigrid » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:51 am

If there is one thing i honnestly don't feel don't belong in Grip, it's drifting (Hey what's the name of the game again? :mrgreen:)
I don't remember drifting at all in Rollcage, and if i want a race game where i'll make crazy drifts, then i'll consider buying Need for Speed. But as far as i'm concerned, Grip should be about big cars with a really good erm... grip.

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:03 am

Sigrid wrote:If there is one thing i honnestly don't feel don't belong in Grip, it's drifting (Hey what's the name of the game again? :mrgreen:)
I don't remember drifting at all in Rollcage, and if i want a race game where i'll make crazy drifts, then i'll consider buying Need for Speed. But as far as i'm concerned, Grip should be about big cars with a really good erm... grip.

BRUUUUUH you dont even knoooowww....
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

Justify
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby Justify » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:48 am

Drifting was definitely part of the RC games, but it was more of a nuance than a key gameplay feature. It is also not the most efficient way to get around a turn. But with that kind of speed it is not possible to not drift at some point. So drifting should be there, but the game should encourage not to drift.

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:05 am

Justify wrote:Drifting was definitely part of the RC games, but it was more of a nuance than a key gameplay feature. It is also not the most efficient way to get around a turn. But with that kind of speed it is not possible to not drift at some point. So drifting should be there, but the game should encourage not to drift.

Nah sometimes its even better to drift. Believe me i know what im talking about. Im the number one drifter in our steam group
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:47 am

WROB3L wrote:
Justify wrote:Drifting was definitely part of the RC games, but it was more of a nuance than a key gameplay feature. It is also not the most efficient way to get around a turn. But with that kind of speed it is not possible to not drift at some point. So drifting should be there, but the game should encourage not to drift.

Nah sometimes its even better to drift. Believe me i know what im talking about. Im the number one drifter in our steam group

Ahem, we'll see that in the tournament :D

Back on topic, there are definitely places in Rollcage where you are better off drifting rather than slowing down.
I drift very often (well, not so much on this video, but most of the time i'm drifing here) on this part of the track for example.

In Grip, I would not mind if drifting would be implemented. Just as long as it's never a nuisance, but more of a different possibility.
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:52 am

potterman28wxcv wrote:

Ahem, we'll see that in the tournament :D

Back on topic, there are definitely places in Rollcage where you are better off drifting rather than slowing down.
I drift very often (well, not so much on this video, but most of the time i'm drifing here) on this part of the track for example.

In Grip, I would not mind if drifting would be implemented. Just as long as it's never a nuisance, but more of a different possibility.

Poottyyy you know that im probably going to lose but that doesnt mean that im not the best at drifting :twisted: AND YOU KNOW IT
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

Justify
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby Justify » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:25 am

I remember when playing RC1 on the highest difficulty, it was always better to take every turn perfect without drifting. That way I was always ahead of the others. Just one crash though and with a very high chance you are not gonna win the race. The AI was just too good/fast.

RC is an arcade racer, but it was realistic in that way that drifting always cost you more time than taking the turn right or most efficient. Drifting looks good but it is definitley not the fast way to take a turn.

Sigrid
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Sigrid » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:27 am

WROB3L wrote:BRUUUUUH you dont even knoooowww....

Dude i'm not saying there shouldn't be any possibility of drifting at all, i'm sure those who like it really want it, but as Potterman said:
Potterman28wxcv wrote:In Grip, I would not mind if drifting would be implemented. Just as long as it's never a nuisance, but more of a different possibility.

...and sorry but your video really didn't convince me about the usefulness of drifting in this game. :roll:

Sigrid
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Sigrid » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:28 am

Justify wrote:I remember when playing RC1 on the highest difficulty, it was always better to take every turn perfect without drifting. That way I was always ahead of the others. Just one crash though and with a very high chance you are not gonna win the race. The AI was just too good/fast.

RC is an arcade racer, but it was realistic in that way that drifting always cost you more time than taking the turn right or most efficient. Drifting looks good but it is definitley not the fast way to take a turn.

Word!

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:34 am

Sigrid wrote:
WROB3L wrote:BRUUUUUH you dont even knoooowww....

Dude i'm not saying there shouldn't be any possibility of drifting at all, i'm sure those who like it really want it, but as Potterman said:
Potterman28wxcv wrote:In Grip, I would not mind if drifting would be implemented. Just as long as it's never a nuisance, but more of a different possibility.

...and sorry but your video really didn't convince me about the usefulness of drifting in this game. :roll:

Thats cool with me but well as i said earlier, im a drift junkie i dont give a damn if i win a race, I GIVE a damn about driving with styyylee :D
AND when i win while drifting... Best feeling ever!
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

Justify
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby Justify » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:42 am

Well, as I mentioned: drifiting should be there, but GRIP should encourage you to not use it. This has also something to do with skill. I don't want a ridge racer game with weapons and big cars, where everybody just hits the handbrake to conveniently take a difficult turn or turn combination with ease.

Or in other words:
The more skilled players get, the more they should notice that drifting just doesn't do it if you want to keep up.

If you are just playing for fun though. Sure. Drift all you like. Just don't replace things where the player needs skill with a button.

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:04 pm

Justify wrote:Just don't replace things where the player needs skill with a button.

Exactly someone finally knows what im talking about. Drift should be skill based. I could even say that it should be hard as balls to pull off but then it should have profits for a player who knows what he`s doing.
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:57 pm

Sigrid wrote:

I think i was drifting, but it's hard to view in first person view. I will try to record myself in third person view drifting on some places where if you just slow down it doesn't work.

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Sigrid
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Sigrid » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:34 pm

I haven't played Rollcage in years, so about drifting ingame i can definitely be mistaken^^

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:59 am

I like drifting a lot, so I'd like to at least see some drift in GRIP, as do the other devs.

As for course design, it's true that Industrial is quite tight, but then Figure8 is wide open. The tracks will vary in width and we'll try to strike a nice balance in between these two
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Suggestions”