"Scramble" Mode

Here you give us specific suggestions on how you think the private release can be improved.

This isn't for bug reports, this is for features (example: wrong way indicator)
Leewise

"Scramble" Mode

Postby Leewise » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:22 am

Not entirely certain if this has been mentioned already, but would there be any likelihood of seeing a return of/something similar to the "Scramble" mode from RC2? Basically a huge set of floating linear tracks that got crazier and bigger/more creative. It was a challenge to complete them and then also a challenge to get gold medals based on time. If you think about it, it was similar to Super Monkey Ball but with Rollcage cars and physics. I thought it was a lot of fun and challenging anyway.
I suppose this whole concept could be incorporated in the Playground mode somehow, however a set of tracks purposely made by the devs would be great to see!

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Re: "Scramble" Mode

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:50 am

We've got the playground level, which is somewhat of a step in that direction. The playgrounds could be very similar to scramble maps in RC2, just with collectibles and time limit.
Game Director
GRIP

Leewise

Postby Leewise » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:58 am

Yeah I think that might be the best move since Playground mode is already a step in that direction with new innovative ideas aswell. I love the collectables element, I'm looking forward to a bunch of A-B fun-based tracks with collectables in the future!

Mik1
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Mik1 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:25 am

i like the idea of playground with collecting powerups, you can try to find the most optimal route to pick them all up. i think at the current one theres too many of them so for a mode like that id prefer fewer "checkpoints" you need to pass by.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Re: [READ] "Scramble" Mode

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:05 am

You're probably right about there being too many collectibles. Next playground could be a bit more focused on specific obstacles, though the current one (done by a student named Kevin) is still very well put together
Game Director
GRIP

Leewise

Re: [READ] "Scramble" Mode

Postby Leewise » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:23 pm

Can't wait to play the new Carkour stuff! :)

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:30 pm

:)
Game Director
GRIP

remm

Postby remm » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:51 am

Scramble can be thought of as a set of playground maps with just one collectible at the end. The current Playground mode is better in that it allows for the flexibility to include maps like that, but also more open, non-linear trick jump style maps.
I think the most important thing is the playground maps are used as a place to show off the unique mechanics, especially in a way that a regular race map can't.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:52 pm

I think Carkour is going to be great and I like the idea and design behind this.

However... all modes (except playground perhaps) have some kind of story, a justification for existing, lore-wise.
  • Arena is where we kill NPC, in the long tradition of gladiators of the XXXe' century ;)
  • Multi arena is where we get to do the same, only to one another ^^
  • Solo campaign is the meat of the story, where you get to unlock/progress/discover/challenge yourself in the GRIP universe
  • Multi is where we get to race against one another in that universe
I mean: WHY would a car be dropped alone in the middle of nowhere in front of a straight line?

I think Carkour needs a backstory that should reflect on the general appearance of the mode's parkours.
Otherwise, it feels "disconnected" to me without a story and overall, pulls me out of the immersion feeling.

I say the community must come up with something 8-)
Last edited by Queadah on Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

omegalucas

Postby omegalucas » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:06 pm

Why not something a la Danger Room from X-Men? Some sort of generated training tracks for the pilots to improve their driving skills. Dunno about the technology but it could explain the aesthetic.
Last edited by omegalucas on Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:13 pm

omegalucas wrote:Why not something a la Danger Room from X-Men? Some sort of generated training tracks for the pilots to improve their driving skills. Dunno about the technology but it could explain the anesthetic.

Yeah... Perhaps Carkours could be sponsored training tracks made by one manufacturer each.
This way you are introduced to the liveries and their respective design, their logo being plastered everywhere on the track. When you get all the carkours' collectible from a manufacturer, you unlock stuff (skin, whatever).

Just an example, a "Redbull" carkour.

tjgcrush
#1 Tester
#1 Tester

Postby tjgcrush » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:24 pm

i was just thinking that lol
And with his chrome V8 toys
Immortan Joe created the WarBoys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIyRXvHmXxo

remm

Postby remm » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:20 am

Queadah wrote:I think Carkour needs a backstory that should reflect on the general appearance of the mode's parkours.

Along with sponsors, add stands for spectators. Put it in a stadium if you're Trackmania. Any imagined futuristic expense can be justified if Carkour is implied to be a sport or competition. A few of the Rollcage Scramble maps even had seating for an audience at the finish (as well as the race map named Scramble) so it's just an extension of the theme.

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:27 am

It could be an event like the redbull events (air race for example)

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:40 pm

TheOnLY wrote:It could be an event like the redbull events (air race for example)

Agreed for the potential aspect (advertising, floating banners, zeppelins with logo etc...), thing is, if we want to keep the flavour of illegal racing, I don't think it would fit to include a crowd for parkours.

Races have the "rogue" spirit in mind with tracks improvised quickly in an environment and not designed from the start like a F1 track. A crowd (like, in a proper stadium) would defeat that imo. I think we should stay from that.

Perhaps Carkour can be a more "solitary" experience, away from the cameras of GRIP, and be more of a crash test course developed by manufacturers to assess recruits (see the stunts they can pull out, who knows, give names to some manoeuvres à la Tony Hawk...)

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:20 pm

Hey Que, give Redline a watch. Just because it's illegal doesn't mean it isn't wildly popular in underground culture. A real stadium might not make too much sense, but some makeshift stands or a few people lining the starting area would be completely believable imo
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:57 am

wantfastcars wrote:A real stadium might not make too much sense, but some makeshift stands or a few people lining the starting area would be completely believable imo

True, amen (love Redline) with the nuance that since Carkour are no races, you have more of a sponsored (e.g.RedBull) stunt event imo.

Whatever. Populating the mode with advertizing galore is my 2 cent :)

Mik1
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Mik1 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:58 am

I cant think of any good way make sense of carkour lorewise but i personally would like it as creative as you can get without any realism limitations.
Would it be considered cheating if it was a simulation? a "videogame" of grip... in grip.

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:48 am

Mik1 wrote:I cant think of any good way make sense of carkour lorewise but i personally would like it as creative as you can get without any realism limitations.
Would it be considered cheating if it was a simulation? a "videogame" of grip... in grip.

That's how ZONE mode is explained in WipEout titles, isn't it? I'd buy it as a sort of "Driver Training" simulator within the world of GRIP.
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:58 pm

That's omegalucas' stance too:
omegalucas wrote:Why not something a la Danger Room from X-Men? Some sort of generated training tracks for the pilots to improve their driving skills. Dunno about the technology but it could explain the aesthetic.

Why not. I find it a bit cheeky and easy however (cheating as Mik1 said) no sweat, no engine really turning, a weaker grounding than a real event, non consequential...
All GRIP could be just a simulator instead of a mechanical feast then, how would we tell the difference between the simulator and other modes? No HUD difference, no disctinctive visuals, physics going to be the same = confusion (unless our migty Devs do it right ofc).

I admit I might be biased, I'm just so tired of that cliché where some events happen in a "dream/world simulation". Most often then not, it's detrimental to an actual story being told (e.g. movies like Divergent crap, Vanilla Sky, I heard some Twilight sh*t used that too - Tron legacy was lame), the exception being the Matrix, where the waking up is the whole story ;)

Return to “Suggestions”