"Check" Indicator

Here you give us specific suggestions on how you think the private release can be improved.

This isn't for bug reports, this is for features (example: wrong way indicator)
Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

"Check" Indicator

Postby Yrch » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:17 pm

A neat feature from wipeout and F-Zero
Best way to describe it, is to provide a screenshot :)

An Indicator that tells you when an enemy comes up, where they are, an depending on indicator color how far they are away.
This way you can keep an eye on the track and prepare for some incoming stuff, lay mines or simply block of your enemy without the need of a Mirror or looking back.

I think it would be a nice alternative for systems that cant handle a Mirror for the lack of power.

Purple44
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Re: "Check" Indicator

Postby Purple44 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:39 am

I like this indicator in GRID 2, so I did not have to look back to see where the guy behind me is. Made it easier to block or avoid being pitted.

Wreckfest fan boy. :D

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Re: [LISTED] "Check" Indicator

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:42 am

Could do this, or the progress bar idea, with opponents shown as icons/dots.

The thing with indicators for cars close to you is that sometimes it can feel like cheating. You'll always know who's there, and can then make a move accordingly. Takes out some of the randomness of racing.
Game Director
GRIP

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:25 pm

-1 here. I think that would spoon-feed the gameplay and destroy the interest of the "look back" feature that currently adds the risk that you could lose control for that brief moment. Less epicness!

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:15 pm

Queadah wrote:-1 here. I think that would spoon-feed the gameplay and destroy the interest of the "look back" feature that currently adds the risk that you could lose control for that brief moment. Less epicness!

I agree on this. Looking back should be a risk. It should be instant though

Leewise

Postby Leewise » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:15 pm

TheOnLY wrote:
Queadah wrote:-1 here. I think that would spoon-feed the gameplay and destroy the interest of the "look back" feature that currently adds the risk that you could lose control for that brief moment. Less epicness!

Agreed, I like the idea but the loss of epicness out-weighs it. I feel those check icons are better for simulation racing/no-action-racing anyway as it's a sort of rear-view mirror for 3rd person view, which is important as those games are all about time and speed management.

Xirahii

Postby Xirahii » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:04 pm

TheOnLY wrote:

I also agree with this. And while I appreciate that looking back isn't instant (as it does take a little time to actually turn your head and look behind you), I'd find it strange that the cockpit of these cars wouldn't have some kind of display inside them that is more-or-less a bumper-cam. You wouldn't need to actually look behind you if that were the case.

So, yes, it should be instant. It always kind of bothered me.

Return to “Suggestions”