Poll: Should damage effects in races spawn only for a few seconds then go away when a car is hit with a mine/missile?

Here you give us specific suggestions on how you think the private release can be improved.

This isn't for bug reports, this is for features (example: wrong way indicator)

Should damage effects in races spawn only for a few seconds?

Yes, the car shouldn't burn all race
91%
No, I like burning cars. I'm a pyro
9%

Total votes: 23

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Poll: Should damage effects in races spawn only for a few seconds then go away when a car is hit with a mine/missile?

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:00 am

I like the idea of some kind of indicator that a car's been hit with a weapon, but having the car burn for a whole race seems odd.

Do you want the damage effect to spawn and fade quickly after a missile/mine hit, instead?

We were going to have an option to turn damage effects off/on, but maybe with them temporary that won't be necessary.

NOTE: in Arena mode, damage effects are always on, obviously
Game Director
GRIP

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Poll: Should damage effects in races spawn only for a few seconds then go away when a car is hit with a mine/missile

Postby wantfastcars » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:19 am

Make it last for a little while, but not TOO short a time. Maybe it goes away at the end of a lap?
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Mik1
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Poll: Should damage effects in races spawn only for a few seconds then go away when a car is hit with a mine/missile

Postby Mik1 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:24 am

if its not a big cloud of smoke that covers up my screen i dont mind the effects but id prefer it lasts for some time and then fades out (not too short)

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:20 am

I'm torn between the choices, but maybe if you pass the finish line on each lap your car is repaired?
You're just a voice pal.

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:21 pm

After the fire stops there could be burn marks left. That at the end of the race the cars look more battle torn and awesome. There could also be random marks for received shots, explosions and dirt. But on the other side maybe a lot of work for a small gimmick.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:26 pm

Django wrote:After the fire stops there could be burn marks left. That at the end of the race the cars look more battle torn and awesome. There could also be random marks for received shots, explosions and dirt. But on the other side maybe a lot of work for a small gimmick.

I agree about small decals - fire or electricity, i find this too much distracting while racing. It's OK for quickly see the effect of impact, but I find it a bit annoying after some seconds.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Shikato

Postby Shikato » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:31 am

+1 for burning Cars
it looks really nice when then car is burning and you have all those thunder effects around you :)

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:42 pm

I think the damage effects should subside after a certain amount of time (maybe random, and varying depending on the severity of the attack).

The damage effects are pretty nice visually, but they can get distracting and can lose their 'appeal' after you get shot a few times in the first lap and drive the rest of the race with a sparking, smoking car. So having the smoke and sparks subside (either entirely or in steps, like the car's repairing itself) would probably help with making the effects look dramatic whilst they -are- there and not be too distracting/blocking whilst actually trying to race. It would give more 'power' to a hard hit (such as from an Assassin missile; that way you'd know who it hit as you caught up to a bunch of slow-moving cars with one or two of them on fire for ten/fifteen seconds :P) and wouldn't become so common as to become visually boring.

In the end it could maybe be a toggleable option? But at least for now that's what I feel. I don't want the visual effects to go to waste :P

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:27 pm

Almost voted no for this view :D

I love how you can see the the car in a distance like that, but as KazzyMac said, the effect loses its appeal when it is permanently there.
Maybe we can have the car bottom out sometimes so they spray some sparks? It would be a cool effect for landings and driving through a banked turn, when the car is pushed towards the ground touching it.
Could be implemented with a slightly bigger volume around the body of the car and when it touches other geometry it sprays sparks

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:08 pm

Sparks thing is cool. Def not a priority though ;)

I've got a solution for what we'll be doing here and implementing it in the next patch. Closing this thread until then
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Suggestions”