Poll: Would you like to be able to drop unused pickups?

Here you give us specific suggestions on how you think the private release can be improved.

This isn't for bug reports, this is for features (example: wrong way indicator)

Would you like to be able to drop unused pickups? If so, how?

YES, let us drop them.
27%
NO, you deal with what you get.
31%
If yes, should there be a limited time in which you can drop a pickup after grabbing it?
5%
If yes, should the pickup fall on the track where it was dropped for other players to use?
17%
If yes, should the pickup not fall on the track, but rather spawn at the platform it was grabbed at?
9%
If yes, should there be a few seconds delay before the player can grab another pickup after dropping one?
10%

Total votes: 191

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Poll: Would you like to be able to drop unused pickups?

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:26 pm

Please choose (multiple)
Game Director
GRIP

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Poll: Would you like to be able to drop unused pickups?

Postby Broscar » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:48 pm

When I first suggested this mechanic, it was partially out of fear for the duration of the gattling gun.
There's no weapon dropping mechanic in the first Rollcage and that never bothered me one bit.
Now that the first private release is out and I've seen with my own eyes that the gattling gun in GRIP is actually pretty neat (even if you're firing it at nothing), the necessity for dumping a pickup back on the track is essentially gone for me.

However, I'm still mad curious about what implications a mechanic like this would have for the game.
Decided not to vote, but I consider it to be worth experimenting with. Can't really say which has my preference yet :p

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:05 pm

Weapon dumping should be a thing, yeah. It sucks getting stuck with a shield when you're at the back of the pack, or a turbo on a track where there's no good place to use it. I do like the idea that dumping a pickup puts it on the track for other people to pick up, though. Bonus points if it still appears as the generic pick-up item thing so it's still a gamble as to what you might get.

Also I am a little concerned with how many people still think this is Rollcage 1: 2016 edition. GRIP is an entirely separate entity inspired by Rollcage and Stage II, not a direct sequel or a remake.
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:34 pm

I think we should either:
_deal with it OR
_you can drop them (I realized it could have sweet teamplay value in a lan/online) BUT your get a significant (almost deterrent?) time penalty during which it is impossible for you fellows to pick items ;), hence, you still deal with some consequences, which I like (plus you get the random factor of having pickups at unsual places, a possible convenience).

Voted for the latter (might be more dynamic in the long run).

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:25 pm

I don't like the idea of dropable items, so i voted NO.

I will fist go into the "if yes" options and why i dont like them.

If yes, should there be a limited time in which you can drop a pickup after grabbing it?

If that time is over what do i do? --> Shoot it sinto the next wall

If yes, should the pickup fall on the track where it was dropped for other players to use?

Why would I drop an item and possibly give my opponent an advantage, if I can just shoot it into nowhere? He will surely use it against me. The shield is the only item I would dtop. And I would do that only if I had two of them and no other option to get rid of it and it would block a slot for him,so he cant use any offensive powerup against me
To me dropable items seems to be more of a workaround for items that can not be wasted easily and occupy an itemslot for that time (shield and Minigun).

Another problem i see is that if the items will be dropped on track is that you can block other potentially good items with it.
Example:
If i was first and had a shield active and another in my inventory, i would drop it right in front of an actual pickup. Since players (at least i do :D) usually have only one free slot at a time (the other is ideally occupied with a shield), it would block them form getting an offensive item.

If yes, should the pickup not fall on the track, but rather spawn at the platform it was grabbed at?

Why? It respanws anyway.
(Again): Why give my opponent an item he can pick up? Just waste it

If yes, should there be a few seconds delay before the player can grab another pickup after dropping one?

Penalties for drops are very useless either. Why drop a missile if i can just shoot it right into the next a wall and not have a penalty?

As you can see it always results in "Why drop it when i can just use it, even if i dont get an advantage form it?" as long a i am not limited int their use eg. only being able to shoot a missile when it has locked on.
Additionally it would make the game more complicated without an actual benifit to gameplay. The feature would simply be pointless, even more when items don't block a slot after being activated

Raion
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Raion » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:51 pm

TheOnLY wrote:As you can see it always results in "Why drop it when i can just use it, even if i dont get an advantage form it?"

You are first, you pick up a gattler and an assassin. They're not just useless to you, they are detrimental to your possibilities in maintaining the lead. :D

Since we're not juggling enough balls already, how about the ability to "burn" any pickup for a fraction of speed boost? :o

I am conflicted on the matter. I does sound like applying another, potentially needless, layer of complexity, to a mechanic that used to work just fine the way it was. I don't know. I feel that missing the full roster of pickups, it's too early to understand how the balance is gonna work. Maybe being protected and still having both slots open to aggressiveness is OP. Maybe it's not.

Maybe the better system it's not even to dump them. Maybe when you get a pickup it gets "locked" and you can just unlock it to be overwritten on the next pickup, if unused. Maybe we just accept that's how it works: you get what you get, and you have to make do with it.
Just take the handicap for being protected, you spoiled whippersnappers. ;)

Uh, what? Oh, this isn't the shield thread?

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:53 am

Raion wrote:
TheOnLY wrote:As you can see it always results in "Why drop it when i can just use it, even if i dont get an advantage form it?"

Since we're not juggling enough balls already, how about the ability to "burn" any pickup for a fraction of speed boost? :o

While you are in the race, you would be better off using your weapons against your opponents instead of using them as a quick boost. The leader, on the other side, he will choose the boost regardless. So you might have a situation where the leader turbo-boosts more often than the vehicles behind.

So if you implement such a mechanism, while it would be more dynamic, you would have to balance it with other stuff.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Raion
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Raion » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:43 am

potterman28wxcv wrote:
Raion wrote:

While you are in the race, you would be better off using your weapons against your opponents instead of using them as a quick boost. The leader, on the other side, he will choose the boost regardless. So you might have a situation where the leader turbo-boosts more often than the vehicles behind.

So if you implement such a mechanism, while it would be more dynamic, you would have to balance it with other stuff.

I need to learn how to better underscore when I'm being serious and when I'm being silly.
Maybe I should just stop being silly. :roll:

Excuse me, while I go start a new thread where I suggest we get the ability to engage afterburners to blow up incoming missiles.[/silly]

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:23 am

TheOnLY wrote:I don't like the idea of dropable items, so i voted NO.

I'd still be ok with NO tbh (it was the RC1 way)

Falkerz
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Falkerz » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:38 am

Currently voted YES, but mainly because the shield still feels quite janky and doesn't time out when active. If weapons activated a bit faster (as in, their icon activated and then freed up a slot faster) that'd be more like the fast paced action I think is being aimed for here. If that changes then I'd say no very happily.
"Tired are we, the few who battle endlessly, against the never ceasing sound, of inevitability..."

SpikeX

Postby SpikeX » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:37 am

Just one button to throw them out, nothing more, nothing less.. that also means you can't choose wich one to dispose (I rather do this then shooting the rockets or machine gun I dont want cus sometimes they destroy the race for myself)

Aura-Master

Postby Aura-Master » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:17 am

the only time this would be usefull is if you are in the lead and you get a shoot the leader missile.... which was annoying in Rollcage.

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:16 pm

Aura-Master wrote:the only time this would be usefull is if you are in the lead and you get a shoot the leader missile.... which was annoying in Rollcage.

I think you cant get them when leading in grip. Never got them so far.

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:54 pm

I think better balancing of those pickups (no assassin for 1st place for example) as in the chances of getting which one change with your placement would be a much better option than being able to drop them.

Clone303

Postby Clone303 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:39 am

just no, deal wtih it, you always just shot it off so what is the big deal
Long life Rollcage again!

Hvolsomt

Postby Hvolsomt » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:08 pm

I really thought about this for quite a while, because it struck my mind in Rollcage as well.

I answered "No", because the idea of having to consider whether to drop or keep a powerup is quite important, imho.
But, being able to enhance that powerup with another pickup would make this consideration even more important.

Think of this: Leading the race and picking up the gattling will likely result in the player firing it into the blue. But being able to enhance it with another pickup might make it interesting to keep - Twice the gunpower when second place overtakes you ;)

This will be placed in suggestions as well.

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:46 pm

No dumping power-ups, but imo they should "clear" out of the menu faster. Less cooldown between firing/using a weapon and being able to pick up a new one. It's kinda frustrating missing a powerup because the icon is still disappearing a second and a half after firing a missile.
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:56 pm

wantfastcars wrote:imo they should "clear" out of the menu faster. Less cooldown between firing/using a weapon and being able to pick up a new one. It's kinda frustrating missing a powerup because the icon is still disappearing

+1

On the droppable topic, I'm more and more inclined to think multiplayer would benefit from item dropping (teamplay)... Already changed my vote to yes from last time anyway.

Similii
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Similii » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:38 pm

Queadah wrote:
wantfastcars wrote:imo they should "clear" out of the menu faster. Less cooldown between firing/using a weapon and being able to pick up a new one. It's kinda frustrating missing a powerup because the icon is still disappearing

+1

On the droppable topic, I'm more and more inclined to think multiplayer would benefit from item dropping (teamplay)... Already changed my vote to yes from last time anyway.

I agree that in teamplay that could be very cool! But just in teamplay (solo or multiplayer), that could be very cool, maybe just in the teamplay mode?
If you want to be grammar nazi to me, just do it, that will improve my english :3

Costa

Postby Costa » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:51 pm

the best thing is by adding all of those proposal features in game settings, before starting the match. Easy. so anyone can create their own rules instead of discuss here. Just put those settings in game options, that's it. I also suggest about items, to choose from "random" picks, or "colored" picks. Colored pick could be maybe in red for offensive items, blue for defensive items, or green for speed items, whatever :roll: so during the race i could choose wich one i prefer pick

Return to “Suggestions”