Poll: Would you like to be able to drop unused pickups?

Here you give us specific suggestions on how you think the private release can be improved.

This isn't for bug reports, this is for features (example: wrong way indicator)

Would you like to be able to drop unused pickups? If so, how?

YES, let us drop them.
27%
NO, you deal with what you get.
31%
If yes, should there be a limited time in which you can drop a pickup after grabbing it?
5%
If yes, should the pickup fall on the track where it was dropped for other players to use?
17%
If yes, should the pickup not fall on the track, but rather spawn at the platform it was grabbed at?
9%
If yes, should there be a few seconds delay before the player can grab another pickup after dropping one?
10%

Total votes: 191

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Poll: Would you like to be able to drop unused pickups?

Postby potterman28wxcv » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:18 pm

Costa wrote:the best thing is by adding all of those proposal features in game settings, before starting the match. Easy. so anyone can create their own rules instead of discuss here. Just put those settings in game options, that's it. I also suggest about items, to choose from "random" picks, or "colored" picks. Colored pick could be maybe in red for offensive items, blue for defensive items, or green for speed items, whatever :roll: so during the race i could choose wich one i prefer pick

You are getting way out of subject. Please stay in the topic, which is about dropping unused pickups.

If you want to talk about the way the game handles options, or the selectability of power-ups, please either post in an adequate thread, or make your own :)
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

omegalucas

Postby omegalucas » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:12 am

Yes, but as a team play feature and/or a toggleable option.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:00 pm

Yea this may work well with team play. Good call
Game Director
GRIP

Skid

Postby Skid » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:30 pm

Personally if I get a pickup I don't want I ether just use it, or use it the second before I pickup another one, the only edge case would be if you pickup a first place homing missile while in first place (should NEVER happen in the first place).
: ) Skid : )
My Multi-Monitor Focused YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/SkidIncGaming
My Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/skid_inc
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

Cybruiser57Péter
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Cybruiser57Péter » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:02 am

Skid wrote:Personally if I get a pickup I don't want I ether just use it, or use it the second before I pickup another one, the only edge case would be if you pickup a first place homing missile while in first place (should NEVER happen in the first place).

In Grip you never pick up the assassin while in first place, unlike in RC1.
Science WINS again!!!
Then they opened a portal to another dimension and kidnapping the locals.
The pissed locals are head enough and strike back.
and then... ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE :twisted:

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:33 pm

Cybruiser57Péter wrote:
Skid wrote:Personally if I get a pickup I don't want I ether just use it, or use it the second before I pickup another one, the only edge case would be if you pickup a first place homing missile while in first place (should NEVER happen in the first place).

By homing missile he was talking more of the Scorpion I think
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Skid

Postby Skid » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:13 pm

potterman28wxcv wrote:
Cybruiser57Péter wrote:

I mean the missile that tracks the person in 1st place whichever that is, the normal homing missile is still useful, particularly if you can lock on and fire it backwards, same applies to the corkscrew missile if and when it gets implemented as you can fire that backwards to shoot other missiles out the air (in RC1&2 at least).
: ) Skid : )
My Multi-Monitor Focused YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/SkidIncGaming
My Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/skid_inc
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:11 pm

Skid wrote:
potterman28wxcv wrote:
Cybruiser57Péter wrote:In Grip you never pick up the assassin while in first place, unlike in RC1.

I mean the missile that tracks the person in 1st place whichever that is, the normal homing missile is still useful, particularly if you can lock on and fire it backwards, same applies to the corkscrew missile if and when it gets implemented as you can fire that backwards to shoot other missiles out the air (in RC1&2 at least).

Well what Cybruiser said then :p

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

ZzozZ

Postby ZzozZ » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:40 pm

+1 NO, you deal with what you get. Nothing more or less ! :D

Costa

Postby Costa » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:11 am

After thinking a bit, i went to the conclusion that items should be able to drop them, i often get multiple shields, they cannot be dropped and i cannot pick any more items = game broken: :|

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:20 am

Costa wrote:After thinking a bit, i went to the conclusion that items should be able to drop them, i often get multiple shields, they cannot be dropped and i cannot pick any more items = game broken: :|

This is a bug with the EMP. See here ;)

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:40 pm

Noted internally
Game Director
GRIP

Tathendal

Postby Tathendal » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:27 am

After my latest session with GRIP, I thought of that WHY would you want to drop off power-ups? In my last session (now that I am properly getting used to the tracks and not completely sucking at the game) I was driving 1st and blasting all the power-ups I got immediately. This was on Transport. It felt ridiculous how often I got those power-ups, it felt like I was constantly firing something up.

So, does anyone agree that the power-ups might be too frequent? Well, I understand that it depends on how you look at it. On the other hand the amount is good, and ofc the power-ups are fun to use etc., so it's fine as it is. BUT HOWEVER my proposition regarding this: Make a 3rd setting on enabling pick-ups so that the options are: enabled, decreased, disabled. Decreased-option would spawn the pick-ups only about half of the pick-up spots, preferably on the harder ones to get. Or it would randomize, on what pick up spawn the pick up would spawn. Other option to limit power-ups could be slower respawn rate. Maybe a setting to adjust the respawn time of the power-up?

That way it would give more emphasis on each power-up, and the use of it. IMO it would be cool if the power-ups would be little more rare and required more tactical thinking in the sense that you have to think about a second, when you use it, instead of firing everyghing away just to get new $#!t. There would be no need to "dump" the power up, since you would be glad in the first place that you got anything, so you would hang to it and fire it up when you need it.

(IDK if some kind of system has already been ilmplemented about this) Another thing that would reduce the amount of "power-up dumping" could be some sort of biasing of the randomisation, so that for example when on 1st place you have higher chance of getting shield an mines. On the last place you'd get more missiles etc.

IMO it doesn't hurt to have extra options (the more settings, more customisable experience, the better!), especially if they are not hard to implement.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:14 am

Tathendal wrote:That way it would give more emphasis on each power-up, and the use of it. IMO it would be cool if the power-ups would be little more rare and required more tactical thinking in the sense that you have to think about a second, when you use it, instead of firing everyghing away just to get new $#!t. There would be no need to "dump" the power up, since you would be glad in the first place that you got anything, so you would hang to it and fire it up when you need it.

Decreasing the spawn rate induces a big advantage for the leader, and this no matter the speed or spacing (unless the leader starts to catch on the last player, in which case it starts to even out. But for at least the first laps, catching on the last player does not happen when you have an equal-skill match). Indeed, by decreasing the spawn rate, you actually increase the distance you have to get between the cars so that every one of them have a chance to get a pick-up.

Of course, right now this advantage is present - my point is that by decreasing it, you will make it worse. Instead of having 2 or 3 racers out of 10 who got their pick-ups denied (because someone took the pick-ups just before them on the same route), you will have maybe half of them having it denied (the even-numbered positions, if you suppose same spacing between the cars and same speed).

I think the spawning rate is good currently - it's high enough to not have a significant advantage for the leader, and low enough to have the impression of denying the pick-up to those in your local vicinity. Making it lower would be just frustrating for the one that is just before you, but not close enough to hit you.

However, there is something that i did not talk about: the choice of alternate routes. You are more likely to choose an alternate route if it has pickup on it than if it does not have any. Right now there is almost always pick-ups available.. But if you lower the spawn rate enough, then it would contribute to balance the routes taken.

Tathendal wrote:(IDK if some kind of system has already been ilmplemented about this) Another thing that would reduce the amount of "power-up dumping" could be some sort of biasing of the randomisation, so that for example when on 1st place you have higher chance of getting shield an mines. On the last place you'd get more missiles etc.

It's already there - you get more leader missiles or EMP in last place than in second place for example (and you get absolutely none of them in first place).

Tathendal wrote:IMO it doesn't hurt to have extra options (the more settings, more customisable experience, the better!), especially if they are not hard to implement.

It depends. If the player is able to determine his optimal gameplay, then yes it's a good idea. But if there are say 20 options to tweak before you find the right setup.. Chances are that you will have ragequitted GRIP long before you find the right spot.

Here I don't think it would hurt to add a decreased spawn rate, because of what i said above - it could be nice to see how this evening-out of alternate routes happen in practice.

But I'm just saying that it's not as simple as "the more settings, the better".
Or the devs would add an option to replace all the textures by naked pics of the dev team. :p

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Tathendal

Postby Tathendal » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:16 am

Good points, many of which I admit that I didn't think about.

What do you think about (the option) of reducing the available power-ups altogether? So that there would be fewer pick-ups, but respawn time would remain the same. My thought here was that getting any power-up should be "yeah, got it!" instead of "bah, this crappy power-up, I don't have use for it so I'll spam it rightaway to get a new one".

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:28 am

Tathendal wrote:What do you think about (the option) of reducing the available power-ups altogether? So that there would be fewer pick-ups, but respawn time would remain the same. My thought here was that getting any power-up should be "yeah, got it!" instead of "bah, this crappy power-up, I don't have use for it so I'll spam it rightaway to get a new one".

Yup, it might be a good idea to reduce a bit the number of pick-ups present on the road.

But there is the possibility to have "fusion" pick-ups later on. So that you would be able to merge pick-ups together to get increased or additional effects.
I don't think there's any official stand on it, but Chris said in one thread that it could be interesting (I cannot find the post..)

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:32 pm

potterman28wxcv wrote:I don't think there's any official stand on it, but Chris said in one thread that it could be interesting (I cannot find the post..)

While it may not be the post you were thinking about, it definitely has... the same meaning ;) : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3096#p13452

ZzozZ

Postby ZzozZ » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:56 am

Ryu Makkuro wrote:
potterman28wxcv wrote:I don't think there's any official stand on it, but Chris said in one thread that it could be interesting (I cannot find the post..)

While it may not be the post you were thinking about, it definitely has... the same meaning ;) : https://www.cagedelement.com/forum/view ... 096#p13452

hmm if you have 2 things of one kind and update them is interesting idea :) Im agree on that it will give to the game a new mechanic type of thing. Because if you wana update some of your weapons you need to use only one of the slots and waiting to get that seccond part. It is a gambling type idea :) It will be like crash team racing that you need to collect 10 apples for better weapons :)

But again NO DROP !

Also this vote now is not relevant. People vote with yes because of bugs in game like that shild one

Rworqx

Postby Rworqx » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:35 am

I thought a bit about this subject some times. maybe you could discard a pickup to trade up for mid-air yaw control for a brief moment. plenty of places where the car just skimms the ground after a small bump in the road and leaving the car without control.

But than again this does also simplefy the driving aspect I think :/

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:26 pm

Rworqx wrote:I thought a bit about this subject some times. maybe you could discard a pickup to trade up for mid-air yaw control for a brief moment. plenty of places where the car just skimms the ground after a small bump in the road and leaving the car without control.

But than again this does also simplefy the driving aspect I think :/

It's also a bit weird. You drop a pick-up so you get increased air control ? I know it's an arcade racer, but still :p

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Return to “Suggestions”