Poll: Would you like to be able to drop unused pickups?

Here you give us specific suggestions on how you think the private release can be improved.

This isn't for bug reports, this is for features (example: wrong way indicator)

Would you like to be able to drop unused pickups? If so, how?

YES, let us drop them.
27%
NO, you deal with what you get.
31%
If yes, should there be a limited time in which you can drop a pickup after grabbing it?
5%
If yes, should the pickup fall on the track where it was dropped for other players to use?
17%
If yes, should the pickup not fall on the track, but rather spawn at the platform it was grabbed at?
9%
If yes, should there be a few seconds delay before the player can grab another pickup after dropping one?
10%

Total votes: 191

iamthatiam

Re: Poll: Would you like to be able to drop unused pickups?

Postby iamthatiam » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:58 am

Rather than dropping unused pickups they should change it so that you can see what the pickups are going to be and there should be a time limit (say 30 seconds) between picking up another powerup once you have used your current pickup. For this scenario I think there should only be one pickup slot per car. The pickup slot would show a countdown timer once you've used your pickup. Because of the extremely fast speed which you are moving, they would probably need to add something to the UI which would indicate what the next pickups are. This would mean you need to think strategically about which ones you are going to pickup and which ones you'll pass by.

For example, you might not want a particular pickup but if you decide not to pick it up then the person behind you might pick it up and use it against you. Say I'm in the lead and the next pickups (side-by-side) are a speed boost and a lockon rocket; my car is badly damaged, so maybe I'll ignore these pickups thinking the next pickups might be health (which will fix my badly damaged vehicle - honestly I'm not sure why a health pickups haven't been implemented yet). But if I decide to pass by these pickups then my opponents might pick them up and use the lockon rocket to kill me or use the speedboost to get past me, but maybe I have enough of a lead so I take the risk. Maybe I don't have enough of a lead so I decide to pickup the boost in order to boost away from danger and get a bigger lead. Or maybe I pickup the lock on rocket so my opponents can't use it on me. If I pickup the lockon rocket so my opponents can;'t use it on me, I think have to decide do I use it/drop it and take a 30 second countdown until I can grab another pickup or do I hold onto it in case someone passes me.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:50 am

AlphaOmega2213 wrote:Rather than dropping unused pickups they should change it so that you can see what the pickups are going to be and there should be a time limit (say 30 seconds) between picking up another powerup once you have used your current pickup. For this scenario I think there should only be one pickup slot per car. The pickup slot would show a countdown timer once you've used your pickup. Because of the extremely fast speed which you are moving, they would probably need to add something to the UI which would indicate what the next pickups are. This would mean you need to think strategically about which ones you are going to pickup and which ones you'll pass by.

The game goes way too fast to involve any kind of strategy in picking items. You would just drive over the one that is closer to you, because by the time you would realize "hey, there's a shield there !" it would be too late.

Besides, the 1 slot limitation and 30 sec cooldown would make for a way less dynamic gameplay. I get your idea, but in my opinion it would more result in frustration rather than actual strategical thinking.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Jetgaze

Postby Jetgaze » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:06 pm

Or you can remove boost pickups and add button to turn unwanted pickup into boost energy (hold that button then use unwanted pickup to boost)

I liked that feature in "SkyDrift".

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:52 pm

Interesting idea, the converting pickups into boost. What are everyone else's thoughts?
Game Director
GRIP

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:59 pm

Liking somewhat the idea here.

However, I think, if I may, that we're at a crossroad in terms of functionality, as, this idea is "exclusive" with regards to others (prevent them from happening).

On controls alone, there are 4 things only that can happen with pickups:
  • hit 1 pickup key -> activates pickup (currently in use)
  • hold that key -> x
  • hit 2 pickup keys at once -> y
  • hold those 2 keys at once -> z
If I had a choice, I'd prioritize in favor of x being "flip shield to front/rear" since GRIP has plenty of speed to go around. UNLESS pickup staking is planned and a lvl2 shield already covers both back and front like this.

z could be pickup staking if the process is not automatic (e.g. you fuse 2 scorpion lvl1 for a lvl 2 BUT want to be able to use them separately). I had this idea for y where Speeders have the special ability to turn a pickup into a shield and making the other slot temporarily inactive for that whole "class ability" thread I thought was interesting (in short, tanks with a 3rd "buffer" slot and medium class having a jump button. Speeders also having full roll control).

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:56 am

Chris_CE wrote:Interesting idea, the converting pickups into boost. What are everyone else's thoughts?

I would preffer converting pickups into health tbh.
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:29 am

Chris_CE wrote:Interesting idea, the converting pickups into boost. What are everyone else's thoughts?

Sounds interesting but also highly abusable. Let's imagine someone has a Speeder class car. Race starts, he gets launch boost, gets 1st place, starts stealing pickups and regardless of whatever he gets, he gets boost to his measly top speed and power, so he can abuse the cornering grip he has. By the time others will actually start getting pickups to do something about it, he's way ahead of the range of anything other than EMP or Assassin and is only going to increase the lead with each passing second.

Few things could naturally help with this and the general issue of 1st place scampering away, like having a delay on pickups spawning, so they start spawning after 30s or after 1st lap etc. (similar to how it was in Rollcage). But even then, it still is highly abusable and is effectively a situation of "when the Speeder will get the lead".

I think the whole situation with pickups is just "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". It wasn't a problem in Rollcage games, it's only an issue here due to the lack of pickups themselves and the early state of the game in general.
The only thing that I can think of that wouldn't be abusable, would be to convert two pickups into a random new one, aka you're not happy with either of the pickups you currently have, you can "consume" them both to change into a single random new one, that may not be different from the ones you just had (thus completely random and fully not abusable).

WROB3L wrote:I would preffer converting pickups into health tbh.

That's a nice alternative. Definitely appeals to me more than boost but at the same time it's usable only with destructible vehicles enabled (which I don't do anyway) and it kind of defeats the whole point of choosing cars based on their durability. It could work for Arena mode though.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:33 pm

WROB3L wrote:I would prefer converting pickups into health tbh.

Yeah bro, I thought of that too, but as Ryu said, it becomes useless when destructible car is disabled :roll:

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:58 am

Ryu Makkuro wrote:
WROB3L wrote:I would preffer converting pickups into health tbh.

That's a nice alternative. Definitely appeals to me more than boost but at the same time it's usable only with destructible vehicles enabled (which I don't do anyway) and it kind of defeats the whole point of choosing cars based on their durability. It could work for Arena mode though.

Queadah wrote:
Yeah bro, I thought of that too, but as Ryu said, it becomes useless when destructible car is disabled :roll:

When the destructible car would be off it could give you a shield for like a half a second.
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:28 pm

WROB3L wrote:When the destructible car would be off it could give you a shield for like a half a second.

Aaaaaaand... the first player gets away never to be caught again.

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:29 pm

I think you shouldn't get anything when you want to get rid of a item you don't need. Just fire them away. I dont really feel that anything else is necessary.

Anything that will give you a bonus will make just picking up all the pickups easily abusable.

Maybe it could be possible to just "waste" an unwanted item to to block this item you just wasted from being picked up again (into that specific slot the previous one was in) with the next pickup.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:56 pm

TheOnLY wrote:Maybe it could be possible to just "waste" an unwanted item to to block this item you just wasted from being picked up again (into that specific slot the previous one was in) with the next pickup.

I didn't get the 2nd half of the sentence. What do you mean? :)

I say:
_hold pickup key to flip shield (if you have one)!
_hold both to stack 'em similar picks!

That's how I roll b*tchez 8-) :

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:01 pm

TheOnLY wrote:Anything that will give you a bonus will make just picking up all the pickups easily abusable.

Yep, that's just that. Although I don't think changing two pickups into one new counts as a bonus, since you're essentially exchanging two pickups for one which you don't even know what it will be. Still, the normal "fire away if you don't need it" method works for me just fine.

Queadah wrote:I didn't get the 2nd half of the sentence. What do you mean? :)

He means that if you get a mine for example, you can waste it to block it from being able to appear as the next pickup for you.

Queadah wrote:_hold both to stack 'em similar picks!

If the stacking would happen, then the only time you would get the same pickups, is when one would already be stacked. I really advise to play RC2, the stacking pickups system there is pretty darn spot on (apart from the pickups themselves).

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:29 am

Ryu Makkuro wrote:
WROB3L wrote:When the destructible car would be off it could give you a shield for like a half a second.

Aaaaaaand... the first player gets away never to be caught again.

K then. One frame of a shield? 1/60 of a second. Good now? xD
On top of that i think it should be possible in only one type of a race. Elimination, No not the one we got. More like Wipeout HD Fury type Elimination race.
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:42 pm

The only grief I have with pickups getting discarded as a boost is that it turns all game modes into time trial :/

@WROB3L: your idea reminds me of the Speeder special ability idea at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3728&start=20#p16137 (to turn 1 pickup into a shield by consuming the other and a 15sec use penalty on that slot - If I made sense)

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:29 pm

I don't think we'll have players able to drop pickups. Once stacking and targeting track-side objects are introduced, it should become a lot more fun grabbing random pickups and using them
Game Director
GRIP

Rathori

Postby Rathori » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:53 pm

I hope you'll consider colour-coding the pickups then, because punishing the players for RNG giving them the wrong stuff doesn't sound like fun (imagine getting stuck in the lead with two Assassins you can't get rid of).

Return to “Suggestions”